Better Alternative To Pelikan Royal Blue?

DonM

I really enjoy the color of Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue with its very slight purple cast, but after some recent testing have found it to have no water resistance and to fade badly in any UV light. Any suggestions for an ink that is nearly the same color with better water and fade resistance?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• aurore

• DonM

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Colorwise: Montblanc Royal Blue, GvFC Royal Blue, maybe Monteverdi Horizon Blue; resistance-wise: Montblanc Permanent Blue.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Beside mentioned above J. Herbin Éclat de Saphir

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Don't worry about the UV test of Pelikan Royal Blue. Each UV test indicates no more than that one ink might last longer than another, but no one has suggested how long either or any of the inks might last when stuck in a folder and the folder put into a filing cabinet. I have a sheet of paper from Washington, DC public schools signed in 1953. It's a ditto sheet signed in a bright purplish blue, and chances are that the ink was either Parker Quink or Sheaffer Skrip Royal Blue.

Water resistance is a different matter, but consider: if you are careful enough not to dump a bottle of water into your computer, you are probably careful enough not to dump a bottle of water on something written in Pelikan Royal Blue. It's the same care.

If you really like Pelikan Royal Blue, stick with it.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Monteverde Horizon Blue was suggested. It is a lovely blue, but it doesn't have much in the way of water resistance if that is important to you.

Much ado about too little, with respect. Keep the ink, and keep the paper dry. Managed to keep my later advanced undergrad and grad school notes dry for three decades plus. Use a good notebook and bookbag proof for a rainstorm. You can try a spritz of artist's fixative bought on sale, as an experiment.

Few inks will give you the waterproofness you are likely hoping for, unless you hunt for a good paper, too. Wet, the remaining images are messy. Digitize the images for longterm? Even their lifetime is suspect. The novel, "The Dechronization of Sam MacGruder ". (Sp?) by George Gaylord Simpson is a quick, fun, fantastic read, and may give you the only answer to your problem. Check Amazon.

Seriously, Jet pens has done some comparisons of various colors of inks, and their results are as good as any to narrow down your search if you must persist, and wish to experiment. But prepare to be disappointed. Ask anyone who has ever recovered from a fire or even a brief flood.

Keep the pages out of the sun, and lay down some ink. The paper might help with UV resistance.

Edited by Brianm_14

Brian

Pelikan Royal Blue (Königsblau) is MEANT to be washable.

Any ink called "Königsblau" is expected to be washable (by mothers) and extinguishable (by students) here in DE.

When I was in school this was the standard ink in use - anything else was extremely rare.

I somehow still have some of my textbooks of that time - some of them nearly 40 years old:

The ink in them is still visible and readable.

If kept in a dry place away from sunlight that ink will last.

In direct sunlight it can be gone after three months or less!

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/the-best-blue-fountain-pen-inks/pt/387

Looks to me like platinum pigment blue is a reasonably close match (no personal experience with either colour)

My 2cents: Telling someone “not to worry about it” and “just keep their notebook dry” is a little like telling someone to not bother buying insurance, but instead “just make sure that their house doesn’t burn down”

[/rant]

I also like permanence in my ink, it’s like insurance: you hope you’ll never need it, but if you do, it’s nice to know you have it

OP: Good luck, i hope you find what you are looking for. Let us know if you do! :)

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Honestly most inks are not much water resistant and fade badly. Not only FP inks but even many ballpoint refills.

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue has been a cheap and reliable ink for decades, in Germany it is available even in 1000ml bottles and costs almost nothing per ml, yet a rock solid ink, it is good as it is. If you want water and UV resistance you have to usually pay quite a bit more and what you get isn't often spectacular (for the price).

Beside inks mentioned above I would suggest: GvFC Cobalt Blue (darker than Pelikan but quite UV resistant and a bit water resistant), Pilot Blue-Black (no purple in it but it is water resistant, moderately fade resistant and actually easy to wash from clothes... You wouldn't believe how many inks are easily washable from paper but stain clothes forever, also in case of 350ml from Japan it is pretty cheap), Pelikan Blue-Black (no purple in it but a legendary workhorse).

Preferably EU.

Birmingham Pens makes a wide range of blues, and many of their inks show water resistance per reviewers and in my own experience. They are generally well behaved, and inexpensive.

I still use Pelikan Royal blue since school times.

It is very reliable, and the fact it is such a delicate ink on pens relates to the fact it's washable...

When evaporated slightly it becomes much darker, quite interesting.

It also shades nicely.

In the same colour range, Montblanc Royal blue (the closest alternative IMO), Aurora Blue, Visconti blue.

The sapphires that have been mentioned are nice but slightly more purplish.

Horizon blue which has been mentioned is nice too, but slightly less purplish. Same goes for Diamine Blue Velvet, or Waterman Serenity.

Don't worry about the UV test of Pelikan Royal Blue. Each UV test indicates no more than that one ink might last longer than another, but no one has suggested how long either or any of the inks might last when stuck in a folder and the folder put into a filing cabinet. I have a sheet of paper from Washington, DC public schools signed in 1953. It's a ditto sheet signed in a bright purplish blue, and chances are that the ink was either Parker Quink or Sheaffer Skrip Royal Blue.

Water resistance is a different matter, but consider: if you are careful enough not to dump a bottle of water into your computer, you are probably careful enough not to dump a bottle of water on something written in Pelikan Royal Blue. It's the same care.

If you really like Pelikan Royal Blue, stick with it.

Hear Hear!

Op.....Additionally..you can put Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue into another empty ink bottle and pretend 'tis something different that mimics 4001 Royal Blue

or go to Ink Reviews https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/forum/35-ink-reviews/ and determine for yourself which ink{s}

meet your specific criteria..............Lastly..let us know which ink{s] you choose..and why......Thanks.....

Still your friend and mine..

Fred

Sometimes I regret asking a question on an internet forum. This is one of those times. Thank you to those who offered a constructive suggestion.

Sometimes I regret asking a question on an internet forum. This is one of those times.

Sometimes I regret taking my time to answer, this thread is the case. But I simply must because I feel it is a bit unfair, people here are kind and helpful, so they have been in this thread. FPN is very much UNLIKE many other internet forums (I mean forums not about pens). Everybody here was constructive. Some just suggested that not always a more expensive ink means a better ink: a simple advice that can save you a lot of money.

With respect, overall there are hundreds of reviews, hundreds of comparisons and tons of discussion threads, one may always search and read instead of posting a question, then there will be no regrets.

Preferably EU.

Sometimes I regret taking my time to answer, this thread is the case. But I simply must because I feel it is a bit unfair, people here are kind and helpful, so they have been in this thread. FPN is very much UNLIKE many other internet forums (I mean forums not about pens). Everybody here was constructive. Some just suggested that not always a more expensive ink means a better ink: a simple advice that can save you a lot of money.

With respect, overall there are hundreds of reviews, hundreds of comparisons and tons of discussion threads, one may always search and read instead of posting a question, then there will be no regrets.

Your answer was constructive and appreciated, and I thank you for taking the time to respond to my query.

There is no better Royal blue than 4001. Once you get into permanent blues, they aren't Royal like 4001. I can't recommend anything else for you. Sorry if this disappoints. Just look at some of the permanent blues, look at images on the internet, and decide for yourself which hue you can accept. Then try a sample.

Well put. Edited by TSherbs