The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Results Of Chemical Tests On Inks

noodlers archival

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lunoxmos

Lunoxmos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:17

Yesterday I had a science class where we were testing the acidity and alkalinity of different liquids. I saw that as the perfect opportunity to put the permanency of some "permanent" inks to the test as there were a few chemicals on hand. I had three inks on hand: Noodler's Bulletproof black, Rohrer und Klingner Salix and Parker Quinkflow ballpoint ink.

The Noodler's didn't budge, while the iron-gall was obliterated by the bleach, and changed colour for the ammonia and hydrochloric acid, and the Parker ballpoint turned red with bleach and then faded some more, and hydrochloric acid life a blue dye component.

Just a little something to fuel one's curiosity  ;)

fpn_1567200456__post-149387-0-45206900-1

Edited by Lunoxmos, 31 August 2019 - 01:31.

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2019 - 21:37

Nice test... although an ink's own acidity or alkalinity can't easily be detected (or abandoned/eliminated/reduced) just by inclusion of an alkali or an acid.

PS: Image orientation now fixed

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 Lunoxmos

Lunoxmos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:33

Sorry, I forgot to put in that though we were testing the pH of other liquids, I only wanted to test the permanence of some inks against said liquids. Using the universal pH indicator wasn't very useful as the black ink stayed black, and though not shown on the paper, Baystate blue stayed blueish and then thickened. 

Baystate Blue is a weird ink  :lol:

#4 IThinkIHaveAProblem

IThinkIHaveAProblem

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:04

This is cool

Thanks for posting it
Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

#5 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:20

Great test!  Thanks for posting!  I find it the results interesting and somewhat revealing.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, archival

Sponsored Content

|