The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Anyone Tried Repairing A Bakelite Pen?

dunn bakelite repair glues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2019 - 18:03

I bought a YUGE Dunn pen with a wonderfully flexy nib, but the barrel has a piece broken off it (the piece is included). I asked the seller if it wasn't bchr, but he insisted that it was Bakelite and could be repaired. So I researched Bakelite repairs, and it appears that the antique radio and telephone fanciers have a variety of methods to keep their prizes in one  piece.

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried any of those methods with pens. If it's fixable, I might try to keep the bits together because that magnificent nib may be too big for any of my ringtop pens - even my Dorics.

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2019 - 20:09

Do check that it is indeed Bakelite,  I use Simichrome polish, a little dab turns yellow when rubbed in, I've read that Formula 409 works the same way.  David Nishimura (Vintagepens.com) says that only the early Dunn pens were Bakelite.  His site has interesting information about the company.

Edited by pen lady, 27 August 2019 - 20:09.

#3 SchaumburgSwan

SchaumburgSwan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:08

Do check that it is indeed Bakelite,  I use Simichrome polish, a little dab turns yellow when rubbed in, I've read that Formula 409 works the same way.  David Nishimura (Vintagepens.com) says that only the early Dunn pens were Bakelite.  His site has interesting information about the company.

... and if it smells like campher it's celluloid.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.c...5166@N02/albums

#4 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:28

The Dunn Tattler models with the cherry red see through barrels are Bakelite, like the Parker pens with the cherry red transparent barrels.

The black barrels should be hard rubber.

#5 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 15:22

It’s got a red translucent barrel, so I’m guessing Bakelite. That said, the broken piece is at the end, where the red plunger lives.
Has anyone tried to repair one of these things?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dunn, bakelite, repair, glues

Sponsored Content

|