• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Bo Bo Olson

• IMP1959

• Susanna

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My B&M in Heidelberg, hasn't even seen it, will be getting it in in Nov. Dec. Gives me time to save money.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Red Glitter 200, a couple years from now there will be blue, green and what ever.....and I really didn't want a collection of 200's. :headsmack:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Red Glitter 200, a couple years from now there will be blue, green and what ever.....and I really didn't want a collection of 200's. :headsmack:

So, don't buy one. I decided some time ago I had enough of these M200s at four, and I left off of it. M400s quit at two. M800s, M6XX and the rest, back to one, and seeking to sell that. These are great pens, but how many do you need. I know, you have an impulse to collect them all. I have restrained myself. I lost interest when I saw that having a lot of pens just left me wanting to use every one all the time, which was impossible.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

It's Korean. ;) (Only Korean charactres have got these little circles.)

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, mine arrived today! I have to admit I expected the worst when seeing the promotional photos with very prominent glitter effect. In fact, the glitter is quite discreet and the color is very nice. I haven't inked it just yet as I received my first Namiki Capless on Friday, so it will have to wait :)

Finally, mine arrived today! I have to admit I expected the worst when seeing the promotional photos with very prominent glitter effect. In fact, the glitter is quite discreet and the color is very nice. I haven't inked it just yet as I received my first Namiki Capless on Friday, so it will have to wait :)

+1! I was a bit worried that it would be too much. But I actually think i like it. Mine arrived yesterday. I like the ink, too. The pics and vids online of the pen don't seem to capture it.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some comparison photos of the M205 Star Ruby and Sailor Promenade 11-1031-330. The M205 is a deeper red than in most publicity photos Ive seen. The Sailor is variously described as either simply red or shining red (on eBay at least). As you can see, its much more of a purple/plum colour but can appear a very deep burgundy, depending on the lighting conditions. The glitter effect on both pens is more apparent in bright sunlight. Its more vivid and more concentrated (in the sense of surface coverage) on the Pelikan. Incidentally, the Sailor is almost totally opaque. Its barely translucent when held up against a very bright light. I hope the above helps and Ive made myself clear. Both are excellent pens so its down to personal choice

post-85932-0-86012300-1574079958_thumb.jpeg

post-85932-0-21535200-1574079976_thumb.jpeg

post-85932-0-11889100-1574080000_thumb.jpeg

Here are some comparison photos of the M205 Star Ruby and Sailor Promenade 11-1031-330. The M205 is a deeper red than in most publicity photos Ive seen. The Sailor is variously described as either simply red or shining red (on eBay at least). As you can see, its much more of a purple/plum colour but can appear a very deep burgundy, depending on the lighting conditions. The glitter effect on both pens is more apparent in bright sunlight. Its more vivid and more concentrated (in the sense of surface coverage) on the Pelikan. Incidentally, the Sailor is almost totally opaque. Its barely translucent when held up against a very bright light. I hope the above helps and Ive made myself clear. Both are excellent pens so its down to personal choice

~ IMP1959:

Your comparison image set is terrific!

Thank you for posting it.

I've looked forward to more photos of the M205 Star Ruby, in order to better appreciate the red color.

I'm glad that you've been enjoying yours.

Tom K.

~ IMP1959:

Your M205 Star Ruby has a B nib, yes?

I'm uncertain about what's shown in the second image.

If so, I hope that it's a great writer for you.

Tom K.

Thanks for the compliments Tom. It’s tricky to photograph shiny items like pens or watches but I do my best. It’s hard to depict colours accurately which is why I provided ample written description.

Yes, the M205 has a B nib but I’ll swap it for a F or M, my favourites. The pen with the B nib was on offer (a very good one too) so I bought it with the sole intention of replacing the nib.

The Sailor has a medium-fine (MF) nib which I bought ‘blind’, not having used one before. It’s been an absolute revelation, writing incredibly smoothly and outclassing nibs on more expensive pens. I like it so much I’ve ordered the black and chrome version with a fine (F) nib. The Promenade models have a spring-loaded inner cap along the lines of Platinum’s Slip and Seal system so I think I’ve found my ultimate pen.

Thanks for the compliments Tom. It’s tricky to photograph shiny items like pens or watches but I do my best. It’s hard to depict colours accurately which is why I provided ample written description.

Yes, the M205 has a B nib but I’ll swap it for a F or M, my favourites. The pen with the B nib was on offer (a very good one too) so I bought it with the sole intention of replacing the nib.

The Sailor has a medium-fine (MF) nib which I bought ‘blind’, not having used one before. It’s been an absolute revelation, writing incredibly smoothly and outclassing nibs on more expensive pens. I like it so much I’ve ordered the black and chrome version with a fine (F) nib. The Promenade models have a spring-loaded inner cap along the lines of Platinum’s Slip and Seal system so I think I’ve found my ultimate pen.

~ IMP1959:

Yes, making a reasonably faithful image of the colors in a glistening object is a major challenge.

Your approach worked well, as the photos are clear with ample detail.

When your new M205 Star Ruby has the nib of your choice in it, I hope that it'll become a treasured writer.

I find your three photographs compelling, presenting both pens in a positive light.

Thank you for explaining about the MF nib in the Sailor Promenade pen. It's unfamiliar to me, therefore I appreciate the information.

I recently added a Sailor Shikiori Hisakata Uchimizu F nib pen to my writing desk.

For me it's been writing smoothly, without any adverse issues. Therefore I understand your satisfaction with the lovely Sailor Promenade.

Tom K.

Dam, looks a bit like my Amethyst; don't seem to glitter as much as expected.

Please allow me to offer a further two cents worth. The colour of the pen body and cap, their opacity and the intensity of the glitter effect all vary according to the lighting conditions and background. Ive attached a few more photos to try to clarify this. However, please bear in mind Im not a professional photographer and any images can only give an approximation of reality.

I took the first two photos in my kitchen under a fluorescent strip light. The background in the first was a sheet of grey card, in the second its the glass hob of the cooker. I took the third (handheld) photo using the light from a low-energy bulb. I tried taking some photos in bright sunlight a day or two ago without success but the glitter effect was highly pronounced to my eye.

I bought my pen on spec from a mail-order supplier and am perfectly happy with it. It writes beautifully which is of paramount importance and I enjoy the variable looks. I suggest viewing one in real life before committing to buy if you're really fussy about appearances.

post-85932-0-05844900-1574359569_thumb.jpeg

post-85932-0-60597300-1574359583_thumb.jpeg

post-85932-0-22540200-1574359598_thumb.jpeg

Edited by IMP1959

Please allow me to offer a further two cents worth. The colour of the pen body and cap, their opacity and the intensity of the glitter effect all vary according to the lighting conditions and background. Ive attached a few more photos to try to clarify this. However, please bear in mind Im not a professional photographer and any images can only give an approximation of reality.

I took the first two photos in my kitchen under a fluorescent strip light. The background in the first was a sheet of grey card, in the second its the glass hob of the cooker. I took the third (handheld) photo using the light from a low-energy bulb. I tried taking some photos in bright sunlight a day or two ago without success but the glitter effect was highly pronounced to my eye.

I bought my pen on spec from a mail-order supplier and am perfectly happy with it. It writes beautifully which is of paramount importance and I enjoy the variable looks. I suggest viewing one in real life before committing to buy if you're really fussy about appearances.

~ IMP1959:

Your lucid explanation and images whet my interest.

Thank you for posting these. The set underscores how the pen varies according to available light.

That it writes so well for you is the best news.

This post is especially appreciated, bringing the M205 Star Ruby's beauty out for others to enjoy.

Tom K.

Thanks once again for the compliments Tom. I was merely doing what I could to answer queries about the pen’s appearance. I had time on my hands so it was no great shakes anyway. I just wish I could work out why punctuation marks (such as apostrophes) were omitted from some of my posts. (Maybe the moderators can advise?)

Ian

Thanks once again for the compliments Tom. I was merely doing what I could to answer queries about the pen’s appearance. I had time on my hands so it was no great shakes anyway. I just wish I could work out why punctuation marks (such as apostrophes) were omitted from some of my posts. (Maybe the moderators can advise?)

Ian

Likely it's because you posted from a mobile device using Safari in iOS. That browser doesn't play well with this site's post formatting, unfortunately.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

The glitter is mostly noticeable when you look closely, at least in artificial light.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen