M205 Star Ruby

chravagni

I am presently undecided on this one.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Bo Bo Olson

• IMP1959

• Susanna

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't mind the glitter but rubies are RED, dammit! If only they'd make a nice, RED demonstrator ...

Oh, wait, they did ... and I have one. So, nevermind.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have the Star Ruby and the Sailor promenade red? I'd really like to see them side by side. I know that the colour isn't the same but I'd like to know how the glittering effect looks.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

I think I might like it, and more than any of the Pelikans I have. I am tired of them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have obtained a Star Ruby with EF nib. It is not pinkish at all but a deep dark red. The tiny glittering particles in the body are shimmering in rainbow colours like tiny diamonds. Very beautiful and has to be seen in real life. All the promotional pics by Pelikan don`t do it justice. I just bought the pen without the ink because I have already found an ink made from red wine (burgundy red) that I like better than the Star Ruby ink.

I have obtained a Star Ruby with EF nib. It is not pinkish at all but a deep dark red. The tiny glittering particles in the body are shimmering in rainbow colours like tiny diamonds. Very beautiful and has to be seen in real life. All the promotional pics by Pelikan don`t do it justice. I just bought the pen without the ink because I have already found an ink made from red wine (burgundy red) that I like better than the Star Ruby ink.

Thanks for the info! :)

Edited by mana

:P Must have glitter!!!

Thank you for the good first impressions :D

How is it that these new Pelikans look better in real life than the promo pics? :rolleyes: First Blue Dunes, now Star Ruby. Seems like a trend...

Here`s a pic with the Star Ruby between two other pens.

DSC00043.jpg

The upper was made from Juma Pink Dragon and is pink as can be, and the lower is a Kaweco Sport in fox red, which is a kind of orange. Unfortunately it`s still dark outside here in Germany, so there is no sunlight where I can hold the pen in and take a picture to show the deep dark translucent red and the fantastic glittering effect of the glimmer. The glittering particles seem to be of the same kind that Diamine uses for their shimmertastic shimmering inks with silver glitter.

I have obtained a Star Ruby with EF nib. It is not pinkish at all but a deep dark red.

If that's the case, I may purchase one after all. Thanks.

If it is actual glitter particles, that's a complete deal-breaker. If it is just nice, shinnering chatoyance, similar to the material in the red M320, or along the lines of the Madrid "Cities" pen, then I'd consider it.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I was't going to bother.

Then I saw one at the Pelikan Hub.

It is stunning, and I did not recognise it as a M205... it looks far more up-market.

Now I want one.

Glenn.

Grumble Cubed!!!!I did not need another 200......

Come to think of it I may not have a red pen.........................hummmmmm

Self, self!!!....dam I just hate it when my self don't listen to me.

I could use a 200's B nib, now that I think of it.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Lots of photographs of the pen now at Goulet.com:

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/pelikan-m205-fountain-pen-star-ruby-special-edition?variant=17038499479595

It has much greater shimmer density than I had imagined.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thanks for the link......moved on to the top of 'The List.'!!!!

In B. ;)

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Lots of photographs of the pen now at Goulet.com:

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/pelikan-m205-fountain-pen-star-ruby-special-edition?variant=17038499479595

It has much greater shimmer density than I had imagined.

Eek! Back to being too pink.

Well, I finally saw them in person, and I must say that is not so much glitter, nor so much red. I'd better say deep red, or soft reddish purple.
In Italian I'd say "rosso porpora" or "amaranto"

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

With ink E120, with out E105, which is 'lots more' than the marbled brown I got a year or so ago.

The ink don't shade, but other than that seems a nice ink to write with according to the review............It's not a tone I'd thought of using....and with out much if any shading.......no, I'll see if they have any other ink I might want.

Got to look up a Diamine red glitter ink; if it shades...could go for it. I have 5 or 6 glitter inks I don't use..... :rolleyes: on second thought any glitter ink will do.

I don't remember the exact price of my amethyst, but had a similar price span........and this one seems prettier than the amethyst.

The wife said the magic words....'pretty and not expensive'.... :D :lticaptd:

Now to call my German B&M to see if they have any....luckily payday is just around the corner.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson