The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Turning A Skyline Nail Nib Into A Mild Flex Nib.

nib flex nib grinding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2019 - 00:56

The grand experiment is on.  I have an extra Skyline nib which is hard as a nail.  I am recontouring the underside, much like how Waterman flex nibs are ground (thinner at the edge, full thickness at where the two tines meet).  I just want to give this nib a small amount of flex.  This is baby steps for me before I go more dramatic.  The pen it will rest in, is going through the final stages of a restore (the shellac which holds the sac in place is drying).  Previously there was no flex or line variation with this nib (as tested before the restore effort).  Tomorrow I will post the results.  The victim is a Skyline Standard in black.

Sponsored Content

#2 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:28

consider drawing the shoulders back if it's a manifold shape as well. Thinning won't do much if the shoulders of the nib are way in front of the breather hole.

Even if you wreck it, honestly, nobody will mourn the loss of a manifold nib.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 26 August 2019 - 08:29.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#3 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2019 - 13:15

I absolutley and completely agree with you Honeybadgers.

Here are the results for round 1.  No pressure .32mm, maximum reasonable flex is 1.12mm.  I wanted to see if I was on the right track before I went too dramatic with it.

fpn_1566825314__black_with_modified_nib_

#4 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2019 - 13:21

The very first Skyline I bought (a Gold Award) was graced with a very flexy nib.  It was a truly exceptional example of a Skyline flex nib.  

Every other Skyline since it, have been no-flex, to miniscule flex.  One lucky initial hit can really skew your perception of what a specific

family of pen should write like.  Sometimes if lightning refuses to strike, you need to put up a taller lighting rod. 

#5 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2019 - 15:46

Nice!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib, flex, nib grinding

Sponsored Content

|