Lamy Nib Question

LiquidInk

First, sorry if there is a better question section to post, but I figured the Lamy section for a Lamy nib question would work.

I recently got a Lamy nexx, and I'm in love with it.

I'm wanting to buy another lamy but my issue is that I got the Nexx in the beginner nib. And I can't find this nib size on other pens, all I've seen is EF/F/M/B. Hoping someone can help me on this, but what would be the closest to the "A" nib in size/smoothness? I've read that the beginner nib is somewhere between the fine and medium nib, but what about the smoothness due to the ball tip?

Since I'm new to fountain pens (been using pilot varsity mostly up until now), I worry about not having the correct angle when writing and it staying smooth. Trying to find a nib that has enough forgiveness to be smooth from different angles (reason I've stuck with the varsity's ball tipping). A lot of my writing is done on a clipboard but since I handhold it, it isn't always at the best angle. When I tried other pens, the nib stabs into the paper on the up stroke when making checkmarks for example.

Or is there somewhere to buy replacement beginner "A" nibs? all I've seen on goulet/ebay/amazon/etc are the EF/F/M/B as replacement nibs, but no one is selling the "A" nib.

edit: extra information, the other pen that I've found that "works" is the hero 70/360 pens due to the 4 directional writing. But... that pen isn't really great. I was looking at the Lamy Logo due to it being a similar size as the Hero 70 so it's easier to keep in a notebook than the Lamy Nexx.

Edited by LiquidInk

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LiquidInk

• Inkysloth

• Jip

• View from the Loft

The A nib stands for Beginner (starts with an A in German) and the next logical progression is the M nib. So a z50 M is the next closest to an A nib, technically speaking.

The difference between the two is that the A has rounded tipping, so it writes like a ballpoint pen. This is to be more forgiving for children who are still learning how to write properly in school. Thus, if you want another A nib and can't find it separate where you are, buying a Lamy ABC school pen will have it equipped with an A nib by default.

Hope that helps!

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Think I'm reading you're working on the move, quick notes, clipboard.

Similar to my past work, plus daily reports.

Since Lamy nib works for you now, if you're able to test drive a Safari, store or borrowed, see if the tri-grip helps orient the nib offering best flow on clipboard angles. Another plus is the large clip stays put on shirt/sweater to access instantly. Safari isn't for everyone, but if it works for your specific need, & your hand adapts, it's where Safari reliability shines best.

I am on the move. I got the lamy nexx for the lanyard clip. The triangle grip might help if I slow down enough to remember to use it. Half the time I grab it by the barrel and turn it to write and not hold the grip

I just got a Nexx myself & I was wondering about whether the grip is any thicker than that of the Safari. It feels better to grip the Nexx.

I am also interested in the 'A' (beginner) nib as well. Has anyone every done a macro shot of the tip of a M & an A nib. I was aware that the beginner nib was somewhere between Fine & Medium. You do see kids holding a (biro) pen in some very strange ways. I can see why Lamy would then have a nib tailored to survive the abuses a beginner would inflict upon it.

Lamy ABC comes with Z50 nib in size A. Lamy Safari and NEXX come with the same Z50 nib, but not in size A, at least not in the USA. You should be able to buy ABC, take the nib and use it with your Safari or NEXX. If you're in the USA, it's cheaper then ordering a nib from UK. You can buy ABC for $15.

However, there is no Z50 size A in black.

Size A is similar to M but it is not M, it's perfect for kids.

Fill your pens, not the landfill

I was doing the brass sheet thing with the "A" nib, and I noticed that the slit doesn't go all the way down into the hole in the middle of the nib.

My Lamy Logo in fine nib does cut through to the hole. I don't know if the "A" nib is meant to or if they didn't cut mine far enough. Not sure how I would fix this myself but it doesn't seem to impact writing so far.

The slit should reach the hole, but it isnt a big problem if it doesnt. Air still enters the feed to replace the volume of ink as its used up.

Instagram @inkysloth

• 2 weeks later...

The slit should reach the hole, but it isnt a big problem if it doesnt. Air still enters the feed to replace the volume of ink as its used up.

Sorry for off topic question but... how do pens do that that don't have a breather hole?! The pens I have all have a breather hole, but I've seen pens without them I think.

Latest addition:  Montblanc LeGrand 146 Calligraphy Flexible Nib

Sorry for off topic question but... how do pens do that that don't have a breather hole?! The pens I have all have a breather hole, but I've seen pens without them I think.

Air still enters through the feed / between nib and feed, they tend to be fine. There was a long discussion over in Of Nibs & Tines about breather holes, and I think there was some thought that breather hole is a bit of a misnomer, theyre more to disperse stress from the slit being cut - and a hangover from dip nibs which have them, and dont need to breathe.

Instagram @inkysloth

Air still enters through the feed / between nib and feed, they tend to be fine. There was a long discussion over in Of Nibs & Tines about breather holes, and I think there was some thought that breather hole is a bit of a misnomer, theyre more to disperse stress from the slit being cut - and a hangover from dip nibs which have them, and dont need to breathe.

That's cool to know! All the pens I have have the 'breather hole'. I was not sure about the Lamy 2000 but I just saw also that one has the hole.

The one that is the most interesting is the Montblanc Heritage Rouge et Noir, where the breather hole is triangular in shape, instead of round.

Latest addition:  Montblanc LeGrand 146 Calligraphy Flexible Nib

That's cool to know! All the pens I have have the 'breather hole'. I was not sure about the Lamy 2000 but I just saw also that one has the hole.

The one that is the most interesting is the Montblanc Heritage Rouge et Noir, where the breather hole is triangular in shape, instead of round.

I like the old Watermans with keyhole shaped holes. I wish more modern companies would experiment more!

Instagram @inkysloth

Most of mine "breath" through the large (rectangular) cut-out on the bottom of the feed into the section. On my Platinum Izumo and President, that cut travels to the rear of the feed, where it then has a "fin" going up to the top of the feed, and a thin secondary slit (if the main slit is 12o'clock, the secondary is around 10-11o'clock -- when looking at the converter nipple) goes from there to the end of the feed/converter nipple.

A circular hole functions more as a stress relief. Take a sheet of paper, cut a very short slit on the edge. Now, pinching the paper on each side of the slit, tear the paper (push away on one side, pull the other).

Repeat but first punch a round hole below where you cut the slit -- don't even cut the slit /to/ the hole. Repeat the tearing motion. Most times you do this, the rip will hit the hole, and STOP. It will take a lot of force to start the tear again at the base of the hole.

Don't know how effective some of the odder shaped holes would be. Basically, you do not want a sharp angle on the side opposite the slit, and that would concentrate the tearing forces at that point.