The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pelikan M805 Stresemann Fine Grind At Sf Pen Show

pelikan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ruddy

ruddy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2019 - 16:44

Hi, I recently purchased my Pelikan M805 Stresemann Fine and absolutely love the way it writes. The nib writes fairly wide for a fine and is comparable if not wider than my sheaffer and cross medium nibs. However, I was wondering if there were grinding options for the Fine rhodinated nib to maybe improve the smoothness as the sweet spot appears to be rather small. I would prioritize smoothness over line variation as I have tall thin handwriting but I would entertain the idea of a cursive italic if smoothness was maintained.

Is it possible to grind the fine nib down into a stub or cursive italic and if so, which grind should I get? If not, would tuning improve the smoothness in general?

The SF Pen show will be my first pen show and since I'll be going tomorrow, I was wondering if it would even be possible to get the pen ground in person; if so, how early should I get there in order to ensure an opportunity with a nibmeister?

Thanks!!

Edited by ruddy, 23 August 2019 - 16:46.

Sponsored Content

#2 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 18:38

Can you get the nib swapped for an EF?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#3 ruddy

ruddy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2019 - 19:24

Can you get the nib swapped for an EF?

Unfortunately I can't. I have however considered buying a vintage 14k nib although I cannot seem to find any for sale online.

#4 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2019 - 19:57

I don't think grinding to a stub would improve the "sweet spot"? It's my understanding than italics and stubs are less tolerant of rotation than normal round tips?

#5 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,745 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2019 - 20:04

There will be several well know nib grinders at the show, but I expect their work queue to fill up very quickly. Some may already be booked as they take online reservations. But go to Straits Pens and ask for Sunny. He can grind quite well and he usually has availability as he does not advertise as a nib grinder.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan

Sponsored Content

|