Share Your 2019 San Francisco Pen Show Experiences And Purchases

zaddick

Thanks David. What a weird quandry it all is - the more people I meet, the less time I have for each person I'd like to spend time with. Imagine what it was like in Feb when I only had about 3 hours at LA. Anyway, we didn't even do our traditional bumping into each other in the elevator! I had hope to chat with you about the Momento Zero pens and all that, but we'll carry that forward. I hope you had a good show, and it seems so. Next year: planned meeting! :D

Jon,

Remind me as the next SFPS approaches. I'll bring a case full of Leonardos, including the ones with gold nibs that Michael Masuyama turned from very good to magnificent this year. I love them and love to talk about them.

David

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• dms525

• Shaporama

• ErrantSmudge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great post Jon, nice to see the photos and familiar faces.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and post your photos Jon. For those of us who can't make it, it's a great way to experience the atmosphere of the show (and for those of us whose friends and families can't understand our hobby, write ups like yours are great to share).

Glad you had a great time. It really came through in the post.

D.

I wanted to add that I've been using fountain pens since the 1980s but only recently got caught up in all this mania. I've been listening to the Pen Addict blog and reading posts here and I can't believe how interesting it all is. I also can't believe all the new pens and ink I've aquired.

I was determined to go to the SF show but I was intimidated, to be be honest. From the postings here and in podcasts, it seemed like I'd be coming late to the party. But the reality is, there is a community, and I did meet some really fine people, but the point is the pens. If you're shy or just want more things, GO. It's not intimidating and it's not overwhelming. It's just great.
You can make friends, or not. It's up to you. If you have specific taste, you can really move through the room at an OK pace. I was under the impression that I'd spend hours and still not see it all.

I recommend a stroll around the whole place and then do it again, stopping at places that really interested you.

I felt like an old pro by telling my friend who came along to not touch a pen without asking and for sure never post a vintage pen without asking. She had a real hard time at first and then really go into it and asking to touch is also starting a conversation with someone who probably has a wealth of knowledge.

Other observations:
There was not a lot of new, shiny cheap pen inventory. I actually liked the seriousness of the stock. They don't interest me but i thought there would be more. I think following the reddit pen forum has mad the wrong impression.
Montblanc was a rarity. I had thought there'd be more interest.
I am not alone in my love of Pelikans.
90% of the displays could use some improvement. Merchandising doesn't seem to be a real skill here.
There are so many incredible pens out there. I need more time and money!

It was really worthwhile and I can't wait to go again.

Great post Jon ... I don't get to attend shows as a rule but your pictures truly tell a story... and great to see faces of people I only know by name.... two items tho.... what happened to that hallway artwork? and Happy almost your birthday!

First off, thanks to everyone for their kind comments. For me, this is the best way to share the joy of these events.

Great post Jon ... I don't get to attend shows as a rule but your pictures truly tell a story... and great to see faces of people I only know by name.... two items tho.... what happened to that hallway artwork? and Happy almost your birthday!

I have just heard, this morning, that they are trying to make plans for a print run with the proceeds going to charity. If that happens, I'll put a notice in this thread for anyone who might be interested.

Along those lines, and I have no connection to this, but they had a really cool shirt that was done by Rickshaw Bagworks. There was only one run of shirts and they all sold out and they just announced today that they are doing a quick Kickstarter for one more run. Here' an image of the shirt (and it is *really* well done on the shirt) and below that a link for the KS in case anyone wants a souvenir.

sfpenshow2019-bodilpunk-tshirt.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/markdwight/san-francisco-intl-pen-show-t-shirt-by-rickshaw-bagworks

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hi, just home from the SF Pen show.

I travelled from Brisbane Australia just for the show and it was well worth it. Congratulations to all who both organised and participated. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, made many new friends.

Being a Vintage collector/restorer, I spent way too much money but came away with some great early eyedroppers including a pre 1900 Watermans, a great Mabie Todd Bard in excellent condition, a very nice BHR Paul Wirt and a couple of early tapered cap Parkers (to name a few!). Also stocked up well on spare parts.

The PCA Auction on Friday night was great.

See you next year!

Bruce :)

Hi, just home from the SF Pen show. I travelled from Brisbane Australia just for the show...

Ok, that's insane! Very glad you had a good time, especially finding some nice vintage stuff.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin