Sheaffer Snorkel Repair Questions

KendallJ

Ok, I hit the jackpot today at our local antiques fair. 2 esties in perfect shape, and 4 sheaffers (3 snorks, 1TD) one of which is a Crest. I've taken them home, given them a good soak and disassembled them according to "Da Book's" instructions.

I have 2 problems that I need some advice on.

1. One of the snorks sack is solidified and almost glued into its protective sheath. I've had some obstinant sacks in my short repair career, but this one takes the cake. I've used every pick and blade I have in my toolkit for such things and it won't budge. Any help here? Will soaking loosen? Heating? Is there a solvent that will disolve it? What's your "last resort" cleaning method?

2. One of the clips on a snork has a slight amount of sideways wiggle to it. Is there a recommended way to repair this? Can the inner cap be removed? I'd liek to keep the spring loaded feature of the clip intact, but not sure how to tighten up the play.

Hopefully, when I get these things restored, you'll see one or two in the Marketplace. The esties will be sold for sure so if you're interested give me a shout to reserve. They are green and red SJ's in perfect shape.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KendallJ

• tntaylor

• Gerry

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that lighter fluid / camping fuel (gasoline) might soften a stubborn gummy sac.

But more useful are the tools described by the late Fr. Terry. These are a brass tube and/or a drill bit mounted (or not) in a wooden dowel handle. The dia is selected to be very close to the id of the protective tube, and effectively scrapes the sac remnants off the walls.

Fr. Terry's catalog does not mention the dia of the brass tube, but two drill sizes are mentioned - 7/32" and 17/64". As most reasonable drill bit sets contain these sizes, I would recommend taking a look in your toolkit and seeing what you have there. Otherwise, the brass tool can be had for about $3.00 from Victor Chen - vwchen@pacbell.net

Regards

Gerry

The esties will be sold for sure so if you're interested give me a shout to reserve. They are green and red SJ's in perfect shape.

Kendall, I'd like to know when the green Estie is up for sale!

Thanks for the link, Gerry!

t!

Edited by tntaylor

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

Thanks for your help guys. Looks like a heat gun did the trick for me.

T, green is on hold for you. It is an SJ rather than a J, but they take the same nibs. The SJ is just a little smaller.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Thanks Kendall. I've been scouring the web and, as it just so happens, have decided I would prefer an SJ to a J, so looks like my lucky day!

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork