Too Wet Pelikan M205 Medium Nib

nura

Hi all,

After almost 18 years of plunging in to the Fountain Pen addiction and having an assortment of all familiar names-Pilots,Platinums,Sheaffers,Faber castells, Lamys,Kaweco,TWSBI,Scrikss,Parkers,Watermans,Rangas etc in search of that elusive perfect one,finally bought a Pelikan M 205 medium nib as my 50th(Special) one.

Right away found the nib to be too wet even with the usually dry Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

Even tried the 20% dilution with distilled water,still the nib is too wet for me. My paper for general usage is JK Copier 75 GSM.

Any suggestions/ dryer inks to reduce the wetness from the forum, please?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nura

• ralfstc

• Honeybadgers

• minddance

RK Scabiosa works great for me in my cognac Pelikan m200 medium and broad nibs. The ink behaves perfectly on a huge range of papers - no feathering and bleedtheough.

RK Scabiosa works great for me in my cognac Pelikan m200 medium and broad nibs. The ink behaves perfectly on a huge range of papers - no feathering and bleedtheough.

What type of ink is it? Iron gall? I'm afraid that ink brand is not available in India. :(

Any suggestions/ dryer inks to reduce the wetness from the forum, please?

Might be helpful to state the problem this wetness causes that you wish to avoid.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Might be helpful to state the problem this wetness causes that you wish to avoid.

The main issue i find with the excess wetness is the additional drying time needed. Bleed through is also there on the reverse page.The feathering and spreading of the letters in comparatively cheaper papers rules out carrying the pen as EDC. Moreover, i have slightly smaller handwriting which mixes up the letters with the very wet ink flow.

The three solutions, or combinations thereof, that come to mind are:

1) Paper. Better quality makes a big difference: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/346519-my-first-mb-fp-petit-prince-legrand-some-questions/?p=4210262

2) F nib will naturally put down less ink.

3) Drier ink.

Sailor Kiwa-Guro is known for taming nibs.

You might want to ask the moderator to move this post to the Pelikan sub-forum.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

If you really really want a drier pen you can use a small piece of clear cellophane (as used in biscuit packets and such) between the nib and feed, on one of my m205 it's between the nib "dot" where the tines are separated and the bottom of the logo.

The height is about 4mm, I cut a 2 cm strip, jam it it gently, carefully cut off the excess so you can cap the pen. It has the advantage of being easily reversible, use small pliers to take it out.

No starting or flow problems if done right, inks come out lighter, which was my purpose.

You could also just buy an F nib and sell the one you have...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sounds to me that you should return to seller......the nib/feed was designed to work with 4001 ink.

Is the nib screwed in tightly/firmly, could be loose and air is pushing out too much ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What type of ink is it? Iron gall? I'm afraid that ink brand is not available in India. :(

The brand is Rohrer and Klingner. It is iron gall.

You could also just get a different nib unit for it. Nibs for the M205 are really inexpensive, relatively speaking. $25, perhaps just pick up an extra fine or fine, the narrower line will inherently reduce bleeding and feathering. I tend to never, ever use anything wider than an extra fine on normal paper unless the pen has iron gall ink in it.

That way you have a nice everyday nib in the extra fine (it's what I have for my m200) and a juicy signature nib in the medium.

Or, just get some iron gall ink. But be aware that it will require more maintenance and might eventually eat away at the nib itself after some years of regular use.

Or, pick up a vintage pelikan 400 nib unit for about $60 and use all the iron gall ink you want. bonus is that the 400 nib units are almost all quite flexible.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thank you. It's available in Amazon India.The colour you mentioned seems to be brown/crimpson. Is the blue colour version equally dry? I've to generally use blue or black colour for my job.

You could also just get a different nib unit for it. Nibs for the M205 are really inexpensive, relatively speaking. $25, perhaps just pick up an extra fine or fine, the narrower line will inherently reduce bleeding and feathering. I tend to never, ever use anything wider than an extra fine on normal paper unless the pen has iron gall ink in it.

That way you have a nice everyday nib in the extra fine (it's what I have for my m200) and a juicy signature nib in the medium.

Or, just get some iron gall ink. But be aware that it will require more maintenance and might eventually eat away at the nib itself after some years of regular use.

Or, pick up a vintage pelikan 400 nib unit for about $60 and use all the iron gall ink you want. bonus is that the 400 nib units are almost all quite flexible.

Inevitably not, because it is thinner, but Pelikan fine nibs are generally excellent. That's my preferred size for use over a range of papers and inks, and I do prefer a precise line.

Sounds to me that you should return to seller......the nib/feed was designed to work with 4001 ink.

Is the nib screwed in tightly/firmly, could be loose and air is pushing out too much ink.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I purchased from an Indian reputed dealer- William Penn. Don't know about their return/ repair capabilities,yet.

I'll try with an iron gall ink, first.

Please do suggest some proven drier blue coloured ink, drier than Pelikan 4001.

No. I've not yet tested with R&K inks. I've only tried it with Pelikan 4001 so far and the pen writes too wet.

Is the R&K blue a drier one compared to Pelikan 4001?