New To Vintage Sheaffer

opsguy

Forgive me in advance I am totally new to Sheaffer pens and I have a couple questions.

I own several newer fountain pens of various brands but recently I picked up a Sheaffer Cadet Touchdown restored for $20.

I love the Cadet Touchdown for ease of filling and it writes wonderfully. I particularly like that the cap only takes about a half turn to remove.

I would like to get another vintage Sheaffer pen but wondering do all Sheaffers only take about 1/2 to 3/4 a turn to uncap?

Any recommendations on another models I could buy in a lower price range?

Thank you,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addertooth

• opsguy

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

On some of the older pens yes, The threads are actually 3 sets cut in parallel with each other. Very little rotation moves the cap down significantly. Perhaps with careful examination of the picture (and if the pen is faced perfectly towards the camera, you can spot the lead-in start point where you can see two sets of threads starting in the same picture. Or, if the if they photograph all sides of the pen, you can see if the threads have multiple start points, you can "guess" that pen would screw down with 3/4 turn.

All of my Sheaffer vacuum piston fill pens have caps which screw down with less than 1 full turn, but this is not a promise that all of them do this.

You aren't likely to find much in the way of Vintage Sheaffers than $20, restored. That's a flea market price.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Yep, I missed his statement about price range. He might be able to get a restored lever filler, pre-Triumph nib, restored for 35 to 40, plus shipping.

If he is willing to restore, and replace the sac himself, perhaps 20 to 35.

OpsGuy,

Consider placing a free ad in the

Marketplace group. Perhaps a "Newbie looking for inexpensive Sheaffer pen". You might be pleasantly surprised.

Classifieds (Link) Forum. Most people have a few pens they are no longer collecting. You might get a deal

Edited by Addertooth