Birmingham Pens

CPB

Has anyone had any experience with the pens made by Birmingham Pen Co? Im a big fan of their inks but I havent made the jump to their handmade pens. Just curious if anyone has any feedback (good or bad.)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carrau

• Scootz

• Coxman

• Paul-in-SF

A guy in my local pen club had one which I think might have been a prototype, and I think he likes it (me, I thought the acrylic block used was not to my taste -- but I find that the case with the acrylic pens for *many* brands).

This, BTW, is different from the Nemosine pens (which I gather are going away). I liked the range of nib widths on the Singularities, but couldn't find a pen color that really wowed me enough, and the other models were too heavy for me to use comfortably (I have girly hands). Back when they still had the B&M store I got to dip test most of the widths (they didn't have the .8 mm in stock), and if I could have found a color I liked, I probably would have gotten the .6 mm or tried a .8).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I picked up the Skynet version of of the Sixth Avenue last spring:

https://www.birminghampens.com/collections/pen-manufacturing-queue/products/sixth-avenue-fountain-pen-skynet

They are big pens. The fit and finish is excellent. I think that the owner/builder, Nick, is pretty picky in his choice of acrylic. My Sixth Avenue was far nicer in person than the photos would indicate. There is some depth and shimmer to it that just doesn't get captured on camera.

The section and body are thick and durable, some of the thickest I have ever seen on an acrylic pen. The acrylic at the open end of the cap is a little thinner than I would like but I think he did that to keep the shaping smooth and allow the best posting. I worry that it may chip easily but I have had no trouble with mine yet and find it very comfortable to write with. You can get them with Knox or Nemosine nibs. Nemosine is going away (sadly) but I have been impressed with the Knox Oblique Broad nib that I have in mine as well as the Knox Broad that I use in a Nemosine Singularity. I'm not sure why Knox nibs don't get more mentions in the FP world. They are smoother than any Bock or Jowo nib I have used, not as stiff as Jowo but not as annoyingly (for me) springy as the Bock nibs. I haven't had to tune them at all.

I like them because they are only made in batches of 10-20 units so you know that your piece is pretty unique. If you get a first run, they are engraved with the unit #. As a company, the family running it is first rate. Sometimes they make business decisions that are a little bit questionable but there is no doubt that they are VERY customer first. I freaking love their ink, too.

Edited by smitbret

• 9 months later...

I just received one of their Sixth Avenue pens in the Gold Seam acrylic this week, with Fine and Stub 1.1 Nemosine nibs. As Smitbret noted above, this is a solid pen, with excellent finishing work as he points out. The acrylic is a sand color withseams of gold running through it, as well as some chips of Pearl like material-their website picture makes the background color seem a bit green, but I dont see that in person. It appears to be the same material Edison Pens is using in their new Beaumont line, called Aurum. The section is long and hourglass shaped, and comfortable for me, and while there is a step off after the threads, its nowhere near my fingers when Im holding the pen. The cap removes with a single turn, and posts, although posting would make the pen enormous at 180mm (about 141mm capped). The Nemosine nibs couldnt be better, and theyre friction fit and easily changed. They offer a wide array of steel Knox and Nemosine nibs, including at least 5 sizes of Stub nibs.Thoroughly pleased with the pen in every respect. I havent had time to photograph mine yet, but attached a few from their website. It has sold out, but like FC, they make additional pens in response to interest.

https://images.app.goo.gl/g8RLmBDcUpuX1oME7

https://www.birminghampens.com/products/sixth-avenue-fountain-pen-gold-seam

https://www.birminghampens.com/products/sixth-avenue-fountain-pen-gold-seam

https://images.app.goo.gl/pwUxcYWqrnDdwkr18

Edited by Herrjaeger

I just got a first run Secretariat and I have to say this is one of the best pens I own because it suits me very well. I have pens that cost a lot more that I dont like nearly as much. I love the size of the pen and how it fits in my hand. Also love their rounded stub nibs. I am left handed and the rounded nose stub is perfect for push writers like myself. Pen wrote smooth and beautifully right out of the box. No regrets with this purchase and will pick up a Jurassic amber when it is available. I dont think I will get the model A and stick with the Sixth Avenue again because I like the shape

• 11 months later...

In April of 2019 I bought a Sixth Avenue in Carnation (pink -- kind of a whim). It's a large pen, very well made, and fits into my hand and writes well. 

I have checked back a couple of times in the past year on their site and they seem to always be sold out of pens. Is this just bad timing on my part, have they been negatively affected by Covid, are they going out of the pen business (they still list four pens as current, but they are all sold out)? What's the story?

They are a small family business, with three employees (I believe it’s two brothers and their father helps out).  I would imagine it’s quite a bit of work to turn pens, tune nibs, make, bottle and label inks, manage a website, fill orders, and respond to customer service enquiries.  I’m sure they have to limit inventory to control costs in an enterprise their size.  Franklin Christoph similarly operates with limited inventory at any given time, although they have more models and deeper inventory than Birmingham. If anything, Birmingham seems to be expanding their ink choices again.  They announce their new pen availability on their newsletter, and , like Edison, they don’t bombard you with emails (I get one every 6-8:weeks).  IMO they have quality products with excellent customer service, with limited regular inventory, like many other small penmakers.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:23 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

I have checked back a couple of times in the past year on their site and they seem to always be sold out of pens. Is this just bad timing on my part, have they been negatively affected by Covid, are they going out of the pen business (they still list four pens as current, but they are all sold out)? What's the story?

Pens are produced in relatively small batches, and tend to sell out quickly. New releases are announced in their periodic newsletter, so signing up on the Birmingham Pen's website is the best way to find out what is available. (No experience with their pens yet, but I use their inks, and have received very good customer service.)