Bored With Your Visconti Homosapiens? Why Not Upgrade The Nib!

Honeybadgers

Got bored, inserted #6 custom 14k JoWo XXF wet noodle made by pablo at FPnibs.com

The fit is damned factory perfect. The visconti feed even almost keeps up for proper flex writing. It sings along nicely at a more normal pace, but can run dry if you push it really hard.

fpn_1566175654__20190818_172036.jpg

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• TheDutchGuy

• Scylax

• bemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have very nice writing. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Bored With Your Visconti Homosapiens?

Never!

To paraphrase another discussion, my Homo Sapiens Midi may not be my very best pen*, but it is a favourite and I reach for it all the time. It has so much mojo...

fpn_1566223167__ddbb1e1a-578d-42c7-b623-

I love how bouncy the dreamtouch nib is and it offers a wonderful, subtle amount of line width variation even with normal writing. Id never replace the nib unless something happened to it.

Of course your flex nib and your writing both look wonderful and I find myself wondering if FPnibs could make me such a nib for another pen... My Kaweco Dia2 comes to mind...

* Reason for not being best: its picky with inks and seems to prefer iroshizuku and sometimes the cap comes off when the pen is in a shirt- or suit pocket.

Edited by TheDutchGuy

Of course your flex nib and your writing both look wonderful and I find myself wondering if FPnibs could make me such a nib for another pen... My Kaweco Dia2 comes to mind...

I believe the Dia 2 takes a standard #5 nib. If so then Pablo can make you a semi/full-flex nib. I seem to recall you putting a 076 Bock on that pen? You'll have to get used to narrower shoulders as a trade-off for the flex.

I have a #5 semi on a Koloro. It's never coming off.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I believe the Dia 2 takes a standard #5 nib. If so then Pablo can make you a semi/full-flex nib. I seem to recall you putting a 076 Bock on that pen? You'll have to get used to narrower shoulders as a trade-off for the flex.

I have a #5 semi on a Koloro. It's never coming off.

Yep, Kaweco ships those pens with standard #5 nibs. And yes, I put a Bock 076 in it which was a huge improvement but still not good enough. Sure the larger nib looks better than the stock #5, but I just want an amazing nib in that pen ; - ). PS You're very observant, appreciate it!

I’m glad you got a nib you like for your HS. Mine has a stub nib, and I have loved it from the start. It is my favorite fountain pen.

Posted Image

I have want med a HS midi for awhile.

My eyes wanted a full-size HS but my hands and my wallet preferred the Midi. My hands won. I love how the Midi is a fair-sized pen where everything seems in proportion. Personally I'd never change the nib unless I damaged it, I love it. My Midi is definitely my most distinctive pen, it's definitely a personal favorite (whenever I take my pen pouch with me, this pen is in it) and as a writer it outperforms most of my modern pens (with the exception of my Justus and of my Sailors). The Midi only bows to certain vintage pens.

Woah, hold on. If you're bored with your Homo Sapiens, how about selling it to me at an extreme discount! I've had my eye on these pens in either Dark Age or Bronze age since they've come out but can't justify the cost.

Woah, hold on. If you're bored with your Homo Sapiens, how about selling it to me at an extreme discount! I've had my eye on these pens in either Dark Age or Bronze age since they've come out but can't justify the cost.

I'm not actually bored with it at all. I was mostly just curious if other nibs fit it.

That said, a $300 custom hyperflexible nib (waaaaaaay more soft than any vintage nib I've ever touched) isn't a bad upgrade, and the pen doesn't seem like a bad home for it. The dreamtouch is a great everyday writer if properly tuned, but this nib is the "big boy pants" of writing.

Apart from the appalling nib QC (all the more reason to just have a steel JoWo nib ready to put in it when it arrives while you send the original one off to be fixed by a competent human being) it's one of the best pens in history.

Don't touch that damn dark age model. Don't touch ANY pen with a black coating on metal. It WILL flake off.

Just take the plunge on a bronze age. iot's the classic, the bronze just matches the basaltic resin so well, particularly as they both age, and the two tone nib isn't going to flake off all its coating.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I'm not actually bored with it at all. I was mostly just curious if other nibs fit it.

That said, a $300 custom hyperflexible nib (waaaaaaay more soft than any vintage nib I've ever touched) isn't a bad upgrade, and the pen doesn't seem like a bad home for it. The dreamtouch is a great everyday writer if properly tuned, but this nib is the "big boy pants" of writing.

Apart from the appalling nib QC (all the more reason to just have a steel JoWo nib ready to put in it when it arrives while you send the original one off to be fixed by a competent human being) it's one of the best pens in history.

Don't touch that damn dark age model. Don't touch ANY pen with a black coating on metal. It WILL flake off.

Just take the plunge on a bronze age. iot's the classic, the bronze just matches the basaltic resin so well, particularly as they both age, and the two tone nib isn't going to flake off all its coating.

Thanks for the advice- I've never been into black coated pens before. Never got the whole stealth look, but the dark age looked pretty great to me. I'd be very happy with a bronze age though! Does the two tone nib come in only the Maxi size? I don't care about the filling system but I do like me a two-tone nib :)

I keep watching eBay for one that might fit. Our daycare drops by about $400 when my daughter goes from full time day care to kindergarten, but the car also needs service and Christmas is coming so I don't think I'll get my hands on one of these any time soon.

• 3 months later...

Wow, thats brilliant! I had no idea a Jowo nib would fit a HS O/S. Did you just pull the nib and feed and swap the nib in?

Yup. Pulled the old out, pushed the new one in. Wasn't even a tight fit.

Visconti's nibs are made by bock. But the dreamtouch is going away, being replaced with an 18k unit.

Yup. Pulled the old out, pushed the new one in. Wasn't even a tight fit.

Visconti's nibs are made by bock. But the dreamtouch is going away, being replaced with an 18k unit.

Thank you so much! I love my palladium nibs and am really sad to see the change to gold, but it's great to know that when I'm in the mood/need for it, I can simply slot in one of Pablo's excellent xxxf grinds - I'm finding it increasingly difficult to write with anything else :D Your skill with that flex nib is beautiful, thank you for sharing that with us too :)