Dialog In Urushi Coming Soon

bogiesan

My only urushi pen is a Platinum Izumo-tamenuri -- which is a rather plain pen, appearing mainly black with red highlights (though a bright LED flashlight brings out a bit more of the red). It ties with my boring OMAS as most expensive (both were $630 pens).

Similarly, my only maki-e are the simpler Platinum offerings -- mostly silkscreened with just some hand-done details.

On the positive side, you and I do buy pens that we can use and enjoy using, which is what this whole thing should be about: The joy of writing with a pen that you like, and that makes you want to write. I do love my pens, and I want to use them at every chance I can.

Personally, if I buy a 20K pen, I would not ink it, and then it would be just an object that I look at for sometime and sooner or later will end up in an estate sale.

We are doing the reasonable thing in terms of functional pen, and the joy of writing.

As far as art is concerned, I am sure there are art collectors who should and would support this nice project.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samasry

• bogiesan

• ErrantSmudge

• BaronWulfraed

They are beautiful, but surely VERY off-brand for Lamy?

Maybe not anymore. I find all this keeps the brand interesting. The pens look great, the story is a good one (German-Japanese cooperation), and it really increases the prestige of the dialog3 ... which it kind of deserves.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

My first thought also was that this is off-brand, but it's something innovative from Lamy. Certainly the Dialog 3 is a much, much different pen than the those traditionally available in urushi, and from Lamy's perspective this is a way to evolve the brand and build brand prestige/awareness in Asia.

Urushi master sounds like a job of passion. Very slow paced and very detached from the rat race.

I admit to be a Lamy fan. I own 2 Dialog 3 and a Lamy 2000 Makrolon and a Lamy 2000 Steel.

I admire Lamy´s Bauhaus concept work but ... € 20.000 ... even if the Urushi artwork is high-end craftsmanship ... that's much too much.

Maybe for the people who spend thousands of Euros (or Dollars) for a bottle of wine but not for the users(!) of pens.

Regards, Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

probably way outside of my price range, but this is how you're supposed to justify asking four times what a base model is worth. Not just changing the color of the plastic!

These four are pretty staggeringly gorgeous.

Wait, it's 20 grand?

Keep on being a bunch of barking lunatics, lamy. This is pretty, but it's nowhere close to a namiki emperor maki-e.

Hell, for the price of two of these, you could have a king of pen urushi with every single version of the insane nagahara nib line in a collector's set.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

wait a minute , wait a minute

There is already a Lamy pen called "Dialog", for like couple of hundred quid?

Opps, I missed that one

The pen price will be pumped by 66x-100x because they will brush some Urushi paint on it?

All this time , I was under the impression that in return for my 20K, Lamy is going to have an artistic Dialog with me in the artistic language of Urushi :lticaptd:

Edited by salmasry

For the people who are bothered by the existence (and high price) of the Dialog Urushi, it might be better if you thought of it not as a serious product (though some people WILL buy it), but as a marketing effort by Lamy to both build and evolve their brand awareness.

The closest analog I can think of is high-end fashion houses. Every year, big-name designers send elaborate outfits down the runway that most people wouldn't be caught dead wearing. But they are an unfettered expression of the brand's style and aesthetic, and are expressed (in much simpler terms) in the everyday products from that label that appear on the racks in department stores. I think something similar is at work with Lamy.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Yep, this isn't a pen made for writing; it's an art piece for rich people.

Thus it'll be even more impressive for someone to actually pull one out of his pocket or her handbag, already inked, and put down an autograph with it. :)

The blue-black Lamy 2000 and the Dialog Urushi is making me look at the brand in a new — and more favourable! — way. Now it's learning and playing the game as if the company has been shown the way by Sailor and Pelikan this is what today's fountain pen hobbyist market wants.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It’s been an interesting thread. Someone declared early, and without providing any supporting or credible sources, that each pen will be 20k euro or dollars. I have investigated the rumors to the extent of my ability and I find nothing online that hints at a list price except this possible rumor, posted here on FPN.

Yep, this isn't a pen made for writing; it's an art piece for rich people. Predictions are putting the price tag at €20,000.:(

Like many of us, I will not be buying one of these beautiful pens. I do not need a Dialog, umm, in fact, I don’t need any pens at all! As a Lamy consumer, I do not need to support this artistic and marketing effort as I’m sure there are plenty of urushi or Lamy fans who have the financial resources to buy up the total issue f these examples of exquisitely high level craftsmanship.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

"normal" people scoff at pen people for spending anything over $20 for a pen. I guess pen people scoff at other pen people for spending 20 grand on a set of pens? X) It's no different to a Bugatti or a Bentley, when a Fiesta would do the job, but a Mustang would give you flair. (Fiesta = Safari, Mustang = L2K, Bugatti = urushi Dialog?) :D

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

All this makes for a nice story! It makes me believe that Lamy is a company concerned about exacting craftsmanship and timeless aesthetic qualities, not one that turns out plastic pens by the hundreds of thousands!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang