Help Finding A “Fat” Japanese Pen

DaveyWonder

Hello all! I’m usually not one to ask for advice because there seem to be diehard fans of certain brands, but I am having some trouble finding Japanese fountain pens which have a fat grip section. For long writing sessions, I grab my Montblanc 149 or Pelikan M1000 because of their huge grip sections, which relieves the arthritic pain in my hand. However, I recently bought a Nakaya Neo Standard and love it, but am finding that the grip, while very long, is not all that wide and for me uncomfortable for long journaling sessions.

I want to expand my premium pen collection to include another Japanese pen but would like some suggestions for pens with similar grip width of the 149 or M1000. These size comparisons are very difficult to find online.

I would most appreciate hearing from actual owners (photos comparisons of your suggested pen with 149 or M1000 would be awesome!) but all are more than welcome to chime in.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by DaveyWonder

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaveyWonder

• Erik Dalton

• Sailor Kenshin

• Betweenthelines

There was a very fat Japanese cartridge pen, the Tombow Zoom. I have one. It's not the same length as the 149, but may be even fatter.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My hands aren’t what they use to be either. You might look at a Sailor King of Pen. Very similar to a MB149, but a C/C filler. Easier to clean than a piston filler. Fantastic nib and pen to write with.

After writing with mine for a couple years now, honestly some days, I actually prefer the King of Pen to the mb149. I have a few now, in both Broad nib and Medium. I use the broad nib with Sailor Yama Dori ink(think MB medium ink line)most of the time for everyday notes and letters. Some Sailor and Kobe inks can be really wet, absolute fire hose writers(Shigure, and Kobe no 51 midnight) Both are favorite inks of mine which is why I picked up a KOP with a Medium nib.

Prices have started to come down a bit on the KOP recently. I now use Cool Japan on EBay for anything Japanese. Very nice people, good pricing and quick shipping.

For something less expensive, the Laban Mento is another big well balanced C/C filler. Not in the class of KOP or 149, but another option. Good luck.

Sailor King of Pen (preferably ebonite) and/or Pilot Custom Urushi or a Danitrio are what you're looking for. I'm right there with you, love the girth of 149 and these 3 options fit the bill.

You could go left-field and commission a pen from Hakase. Then you could give them the exact measurements of the section you would like (and, for that matter, the rest of the pen).

Too many pens; too little writing.

My personal log from some of my larger pens - section diameter:

Pelikan M1000: 12.1mm

Namiki Yukari Royale: 11mm

Sailor KOP Pro Gear: 12.7mm

MB 149: 12.8mm

St Dupont Olympio XL: 11.5mm

Visconti Homo Sapien Bronze Age: 11mm

I don't have, but there is also the 13.2mm section on the Namiki Emperor.

Edited by Tseg

Thank you all for the replies. Tseg: thanks for the objective info!

Now to do a some internet window shopping...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all again for your insight. I ordered and received a Pilot Custom Urushi and my first impressions are that it is truly an amazing pen. I will update with a new post in a few weeks when the honeymoon phase is over. Thanks again!

Hello DaveyWonder,

Hope you enjoy your new fountain pen. Seems I have entered this thread a bit late. The Sailor King of Pen, which I have in ebonite with and without cap bands, plastic, and acrylic, is the only modern fountain pen which challenges my affection for the Montblanc 149. As others have said, the two models are nearly identical in size & weight. My 149s are older & lighter than current models, and have plastic piston threads. Among vintage pens, a 1920s senior Parker Duofold is longer when capped and narrower than the KoP and 149, though a great size for long periods of writing.

Hope your Pilot Custom Urushi continues to be a great writer for you.

Enjoy your weekend,

Barry