Eco Very Resistant To Drying Out

Brianm_14

Recently, I had set aside one of my three TWSBI Eco's for about a month, and was pleasantly surprised to find it started writing without hesitation when I finally picked it up. I had previously noted such good behavior with all three, across a range of inks, but not for such an extended period.

That got me to searching for the third pen, which I had not seen since early March when I had to stop teaching suddenly, mid-semester, due to ill health. Briefcases, notes, books, and such were all set aside for several months as I successfully recuperated, but an extended search did not turn up the missing pen. Just when I had I had given up hope, my old book bag was about to be discarded in favor of a lovely new one my wife had given me in May for my birthday. At the last moment, a strange, longish lump made itself apparrent . . . . and it was indeed the missing Eco.

Curious, I unscrewed the cap, and once again, without hesitation this Eco began to write perfectly. That's early March to Mid-August, untouched. It is still going strong, on my favorite Waterman Brown ink.

True, the Ecos have not been tested -yet- to degree that one of my four Platinum 3776 pens was, when it was misplaced for over 28 months after a household move (and presumed lost); it, not unexpectedly, wrote perfectly upon discovery, and finished it's fill of Diamine Oxblood without a hitch. But I like both the 3667s and the Ecos as writers, and appreciate knowing they are not demanding pens in terms of weekly exercise.

Is this a characteristic shared by the Eco's more expensive brothers (or sisters)? I keep on saying I'll try another TWSBI model, but the Eco keeps surprising me with hidden virtues. So I never seem to move "up."

(It certainly is NOT true of the Go, which I am sorry I was ever taken in by. If the Go "went" I would not bother looking for it. It dries up readily, is a mess to deal with, writes poorly, and is a superbly ugly answer to an unasked question. It is a joke without a punch line. Oh, and I don't like it either.)

Brian

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brianm_14

• pararis

• eciton

• karlk

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, these things NEVER dry out. No matter what ink, how they're stored, or for how long — they start writing immediately.

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

Love original post, not the least because I had the same experience with the ridiculous Go. I even sent it back to TWSBI, and they insulted me by telling me it was fine. I sent it directly to the landfill where it so richly deserves to be.

As for the Ecos, I have several, and they are all perfect. One is dedicated to Baystate Blue and has been great for three or four years now. One is a stub nib with Diamine Syrah, and it writes perfectly no matter how long it sits unused. Just a note of clarification, I store these all horizontally, and I don't know if storing vertically would change anything.

Now, to answer your actual question -- I also have two Diamond 580 pens. I use them and love them even more than the Ecos. They use a larger nib that I prefer -- and have easily interchangeable nib/feed units. You can buy a new nib/feed for about $25 and change it out in seconds. The only small "problem" I've seen is the medium and broad nibs seem to be exactly the same in line width. Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting their release of the new rose gold 580, and I'll order it the day it's released.

I've got a lot of pens, some very high end (expensive), but none perform better than the TWSBI 580s I have. For that reason, I'm pretty resistant to buying expensive pens anymore. Pretty is nice, functional is better. (And the awful Go is neither!)

• 2 weeks later...

"Love original post"

Thank you!

"I sent it [the GO] directly to the landfill"

Too bad it has to take up valuable landfill space! What was TWSBI thinking?????

Thanks for answering my question about the Diamond 580 (and thanks to all who confirmed my experience). I've stored my Eco's in all sorts of positions, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'll start paying attention, however, just to see if pen orientation affects resistence to drying out.

Here's to these remarkable, great-writing pens. We'll forgive them the the GO -this time!

Brian