Nemosine Is Going Away. Clearance On All Their Stuff

Honeybadgers

Got an email that Nemosine is winding things down and Josh is going to transition over to helping his brother build the birmingham pen company's brand, and they want to focus on selling pens and inks made in the USA.

So right now everything but the spare nibs (I emailed him and he told me about the birmingham thing, but I haven't heard back about whether or not they're going to continue to sell the JoWo based nemosine nibs. It'd be a huge shame to lose those, factory available 0.6 and 0.8 stubs aren't exactly common.

But the fission and neutrino models are dirt cheap right now, ink cartridges in blue and black (REALLY nice blue and black, BTW, they're my favorite cartridges) are $2.99, and if you go over $50, shipping is free.

https://www.nemosine.com/

I'm glad I got one of the acrylic singularities, and I'm honestly going to miss the brand. Nemosine nibs were absolutely wonderful, as were the inks, and I loved the space and science themes.

Here's wishing Joey and his brother best of luck with Birmingham pen. I've been a big fan of their inks for a long time, so let's see what kind of pens they can make!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

• thudthwacker

Thanks for posting this.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Had to have a couple of Neutrino's and another Fission model because the prices are just plain that good. I really hate to see them go away. Makes me wish I had gotten more of their ink when it was available.

Me too, I really think blue snowball nebula was the second best shimmer ink available, right up along with emerald of chivor. That silvery blue with red sheen was amazing.

I also ordered one neutrino in just about every finish and one more fission.

Josh isn't going away, he's just going to be making pens in the USA and selling them through birmingham's website. I hope he sticks with the space/science themes, because I'm just a total sucker for that.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

They have very nice nibs. I've bought a few over the past year as Nick kept selling them deeply discounted. Along with a bunch of his inks I just couldn't resist. (More inks -- you see -- need more pens, because who has the patience to clean them fully to try out different inks. A vicious cycle, I tell you :o )

I'm glad he got the BnM store out of his system ... I hope it wasn't a huge loss. As much fun as it sounds to interact with fellow pen-minded customers, I just don't see how you could have decent turnover anywhere but in a posh shopping district (where the rents are hardly affordable).

-k

Thanks for the heads-up, Honeybadgers. they're one of the few vendors I know of who offer #5 nibs, and the Nemosine .6mm stub italic nibs rank topmost among my favorites

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

I have all three models of Nemosine pens. I am going to miss the brand. The stub (or is it italic) nibs are all great writers. I have the 0.6, 0.8, and 1.1. I wonder if a lower priced pen will show up as a branded Birmingham.

I’ve had email conversations with both Josh and Nick, and both were super nice.

I so wish I had bought more of their ink. Did not try the samples soon enough, to know which I’d want in bottles.

Posted Image

@ Honeybadgers -- That is really disappointing to hear. I liked the range of nib widths available, and I liked the size of the the Singularities (the other pens were too heavy for my hand) but didn't like the colors. Back when Birmingham Pens still had a brick and mortar store here in Pittsburgh, there was talk about maybe doing some out of ebonite and I would have been right there going "Take my money!"

I keep hoping that they find another location and re-open the brick and mortar store at some point (that's a fairly regular discussion at the Steel City Nibs meetings: "Hey, has anyone heard whether Nick has found a new location yet?"

I have a few bottles of Nemosine ink (including Snowball Nebula) and several of the Birmingham line.

@ katerchen -- That was the trouble with the B&M location. It was on the edge of a high-end neighborhood shopping district, but at the other end of the area from the two other stores that sell some pens and inks. They were on a side street that didn't have parking available, and on the main drag meter parking is expensive and hard to find (and they weren't really close enough to the pay lots or the parking garage either). I was lucky in that I know the area well enough to park just outside the business district in the section where there is stickered parking for residents if you're there for more than a couple of hours, and didn't mind walking the couple of blocks on to the shop -- but if you didn't know the Walnut Street area at all, you might not even have found the place.

The other two stores have a limited selection. One is a stationery store that carries Kaweco pens and sometimes ink, and occasionally J Herbin inks -- but mostly just the 1670 line; they have recently started carrying Edelstein inks and a few Pelikan pens. The other, around the corner, is a combination card store, novelty shop bookstore; they carry some Pilot pens (and are now carrying Iroshizuku ink in some colors) and some Sheaffer pens and a random assortment of Skrip inks, plus a few Acme pens -- but the pens are really pricy (I think one of the Retro Pop Metropolitans had a pricetag of around $23, and I didn't pay ANYTHING like that amount in Boston at Bromfield Pens when I bought mine -- even with paying for commuter rail and the T).... The place that's selling the Edelstein inks are asking full price for those as well, and I have to weigh the relative merits of getting a discount but paying shipping vs. supporting a brick and mortar store at full price plus a couple of bucks for parking.

There have been rumors since the store closed that they are looking at locations in Cranberry Township (which is up in the next county, and about 30 miles away). Which makes people who live south of Pittsburgh unhappy. But I keep pointing out that if they're in a strip mall somewhere in Cranberry, there will be *PARKING*....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Honeybadgers, thank you for letting us know. It is sad to see them go.

I just bought four of the Fissions even though I was planning on purchasing more pens this year. They will make great gifts, though.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I actually sent him an email last week telling him how I liked how he changed his business model and was just focusing on Bimingham.

I've been meaning to try their 0.6 stub, so I ordered a Fission with that nib. Not sure I'll like the weight, but now I'll have one of all three of their models. I like the space theme. I've only had one small email interaction with Josh, but it was easy and I was happy with the result. Hope the business model change goes well for him.

I liked the Space theme too. I asked Nick in an email if the Birmingham Einstein Cadmium Orange was similar to Nemosine Solar Storm 1859. He said the Cadmium Orange was a softer orange.

I like the steel and railroad themes of Birmingham inks. But oh how I loved the Nemosine inks. Pleiades was a blue black I actually liked. Moon Crater Black shows water resistance. Solar Storm was compared to Noodler’s Apache Sunset. Aeolis Palus was a nice red. The only one I bought was a bottle of Alpha Centauri, because I thought there would be time to get any others. Sadly I was wrong in that.

But I do like my three Singularity pens, and the Neutrino. I have a rose gold Fission, but I have to clean a bunch of pens before I let myself fill up a new or other pen.

Maybe Josh will bring some Space/science themes to Birmingham. Like Solar Storm!

Posted Image

I like the Nemosine Singularity and the Neutrino pens I have, and I'd happily buy twenty or so of the Neutrino pens with Fine nibs as a cache of last-minute presents to give away, but the USPS shipping charges to Australia are just too much and make the exercise not worth it, compared to buying Delike, Moonman or PenBBS.

It's one thing to pay twice or even three times the effective price of a Delike New Moon 3 for a Nemosine Neutrino, when I consider them equally well made but the Neutrino has a form factor that will probably suit more prospective users and gift recipients, but an American brand is not much of a selling point when it is neither objectively superior hands-down and does not command any additional respect or goodwill from the vast majority of fountain pen users worldwide, who on the other hand would feel the sting of the killer international shipping charges. I suspect that's just something too difficult for Nemosine to overcome outside the limited US market.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I like the Nemosine Singularity and the Neutrino pens I have, and I'd happily buy twenty or so of the Neutrino pens with Fine nibs as a cache of last-minute presents to give away, but the USPS shipping charges to Australia are just too much and make the exercise not worth it, compared to buying Delike, Moonman or PenBBS.

It's one thing to pay twice or even three times the effective price of a Delike New Moon 3 for a Nemosine Neutrino, when I consider them equally well made but the Neutrino has a form factor that will probably suit more prospective users and gift recipients, but an American brand is not much of a selling point when it is neither objectively superior hands-down and does not command any additional respect or goodwill from the vast majority of fountain pen users worldwide, who on the other hand would feel the sting of the killer international shipping charges. I suspect that's just something too difficult for Nemosine to overcome outside the limited US market.

They weren't even made in america, that was the reason they're not continuing the models. Josh told me he was just too dissatisfied with the quality of the stuff being machined overseas at the price point he was trying to hit.

I like the neutrino a lot, but I can see what he means. The singularity was the only model that had the right amount of fit and finish.

I hope they continue to sell Knox nibs. The obliques are the best I've ever written with.......

Knox isn't specifically part of birmingham I don't think. since you can still buy Knox nibs on amazon.

But I may be wrong.

Also, I agree. Their OBB and OB nibs are butter.

Oh good! I got an OB Knox nib as part of a bundle deal. It is supposed to fit a TWSBI Eco. Trouble is, I do not know how to remove an Eco nib to make the swap.

Posted Image

I really wanted a Singularity but the cost of shipping to the UK was insane so sadly I never got one, if anyone has a spare one with a medium nib I'd be very interested.

Al