Platinum Century: A Meisterstueck Knock-Off?

Inst

Curious, how do people feel about Century's similarities to Meisterstueck? Montblanc, for instance, uses 4810m as part of its branding (height of Montblanc in the Alps), while Century sells itself as 3776 (height of Mt. Fuji). Likewise, Montblanc has a stylized image of its peak as its symbol, while demonstrator Centuries show a Mt. Fuji metal figure.

I think Platinum / Nakaya deserve respect in their own right; Japan has a tradition of proud craftsmanship (Japan and Germany are unique for industrializing from a developed crafts industry), and Platinum and Pilot produce UEF, making it highly desirable for writers of Japanese Kanji and Traditional Chinese. But how do the similarities to / dialogue with Montblanc affect your enjoyment of the brand?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Inst

• Time-Traveller

• Mech-for-i

Knock off, that shape and profile was long there before both , its so generic , its like the flat top, cylinder thin rod, and so many other pen design in general profile that I do not think anyone can say one is a copy, knock off of anyone ... if we must go back to the original those shape were there even before fountain pen ; naming a product after the locale is also pretty common dating way way back ( for centuries literally ).

I agree with Mech-for-i. Certain designs are so old, so classical, and indeed Montblanc was not the first to produce pens that look like that.

We would be justified to speak of a 'knock-off' in the case of really outlandish designs that have been copied in full detail, like all the Chinese knock-offs of the Lamy Safari, of the Kaweco Sport, of the TWSBis, etc.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

It's more that I feel that Platinum / Nakaya knows they're not Montblanc (in the same way Waterman, Parker, Schaeffer know they're not Montblanc). Century isn't even Platinum's top of the line stuff, that's Nakaya, and there's a very fine specimen being discussed elsewhere (the nib segment isn't actually metal, it's wood with gold lacquer applied).

Still, the imitative element of Platinum Century does make it somewhat off-putting to me, but I do acknowledge it's Platinum's "mass market" product.

The cigar-shaped fountain pen is a classic, and some might say universal, design. I have a number of brands that you can't tell apart until you look closely at them. Doesn't bother me in the least.

I think comparing two simplistically-designed cigar-shaped pens is like comparing the Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro (or, maybe Corvette, since most of the Meisterstück line is much more expensive). They are similar ideas and would be happy to take customers from one another, but I don't think anyone would use the term knock-off. I think if you're looking for a Meisterstück, you probably won't end up purchasing a 3776 and vice versa. And, you shouldn't miss out on the opportunity to use the "ü" when you type "Meisterstück." ;)

If it were a knock off they would be copying the alps, not mount Fuji? I don't think anyone who's done even a little research would confuse the two, the clip and nib design tells the Platinum apart immediately and as has been mentioned the price points are very different; the 3776 line isn't so cheap as to become an impulse buy.

I have zero interest in Montblanc, the 3776 Century looks really bland to me, the rhodium models are more interesting but are twice the price, still I'd like to try their nibs one day...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Montblanc is just a knockoff Sheaffer Balance.

I thought the Balance appeared in 1936, and the Meisterstück already in 1924. (Anyhow, who cares?)

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

I thought the Balance appeared in 1936, and the Meisterstück already in 1924. (Anyhow, who cares?)

The 1936 Meisterstück is a dome top not the torpedo shape of the current Meisterstück . It did not appear until the 1950s. The earlier ones were button fillers copied after the Parker Duofolds.