Really Good Bad Luck With A Skyline Parts Pen.

Addertooth

I picked up an eBay Skyline pen which was advertised as a parts pen; they priced it quite low (sold for $23 American). Upon arrival it was inspected. It was actually in solid condition, it was simplly missing a sac, and was in need of a good polish, but it did have the teardrop nib. I had purchased it to make use of its section in a more expensive (i presumed) pen. Upon inspection, it was immediately clear the parts pen was a larger Executive model. The section would not fit a standard sized pen which needed the section. So, it looks like I am stuck with an executive in a striated brown cap, and a brown body.

After reading from various websites (and Richard Binder's book on Eversharp pens), they all seem to echo that the Executive sized version of the skyline was "rare". I guess my question is whether they are actually rare. For those who collect Skylines, about how often do you run accross Executive sized versions of pens? Since the purchase, I finally found a standard sized all black skyline, I guess it will become my parts pen.

Edited by Addertooth

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addertooth

• Greenie

Top Posters In This Topic

They are uncommon. I see a few a year on ebay. So not exactly rare, but you don't seem them every month.

You should either just be very excited to have a grander, larger skyline for a very cheap price

OR

clean it up and resell it. You can get two to three more typical Skylines for the price you are likely to get.

Thanks for the input Greenie. It has already had the first round of polish, had the section/feed/nib ultrasonically cleaned, the nib polished and a new tapered sac put in it. I may have to tune the nib a bit, the former owner "wrote in" the pen at about a 60 degree angle, which is a bit steeper than my natural hand position. It was taken to a work meeting today, and cranked out a couple pages of handwritten notes without a skip or hiccup.... seems like a solid pen. I had mistakenly thought it was a brown striated celluloid cap with a black body, but after it was rested next to a black body skyline, it was clear the body was a deep dark-chocolate brown. Old eyes can fool you in dim light, if you have nothing to compare it with. The decorative rings and the clip are all satin finish as well.

Since the barrel is larger, a standard #20 (or 18) sac also does the trick. The usual tapered skyline sac is not necessary, and you will get better ink capacity with the standard sac.