The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pens That Hate Me, I: Parker 25

parker 25 dry grinding parker vector

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:45

When I was young, there were few fountain pens in the shops and even fewer I could afford. I had a few gaily colored plastic cylinders from the Sheaffer NoNonsense range but they felt too light and insubstantial. And I had a couple Parker 25 pens. I was not taken with the form of the nib or the barrel but at least the 25 felt more solid and balanced in my hand. Unfortunately, just like the NoNonsense, the 25 was too dry, with frequent flow problems. Quite often there was little difference between writing with a 25 or a ballpoint pen.

Many years and many pens passed until a 25 reappeared among my pens. It was by accident: the 25 was in a lot of 20-odd pens that I bought online. It immediately disappeared in a drawer and resurfaced only recently when I decided to experiment with nib grinding. So, I cleaned and inked it. The first letters I wrote with it brought back all those memories of agony and disappointment. The ink flow was too stingy and the pen was too unresponsive. I went ahead with the grinding, which went well, but turning its nib into a decent CI did little to improve the writing experience.

Never one to abandon an underdog, I took out the nib and feed, and tried everything I could to improve flow but for the first time I had to accept defeat. No improvement was noticeable. Even worse, the other pen I used in the grinding experiment, a Parker Vector, wrote so much better both before and after - and the Vector is a pen that seems far less appealing than the 25.

The only conclusion I can reach is that the 25 simply hates me but Id like to know why. Was it something I did?

71667598-F444-4B41-B84D-37F9D13304CE.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 19:37

"I keep eating fish but it doesn't taste like steak.  How can I cook my fish to get it to taste just like I like my steak to taste?"

#3 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,369 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 21:44

It’s more a case of “I keep trying to cook this food but it refuses to be cooked”.

#4 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,035 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 14:50

Daft question, but have you tried a very wet ink in it?

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

#5 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,369 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 21:14

Even Diamine Midnight failed. 

#6 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,131 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 19:02

Even Diamine Midnight failed. 

Hint: It's not the ink.

#7 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,291 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 20:17

Yeh, a pen should write well with any ink you put in it.  Did you try cleaning the pen in Rapidoeze or Rapidoeze with an ultrasonic?  Your basic pen flush might work, but if there is dried ink in the internal collectors and feed, I wouldn't count on it.  A good soak over night in the pen cleaner might work....

OTOH, I've had a couple of the 25s. Note the past tense.  They wrote OK, but I've always thought the shape was a little weird.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#8 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 23:41

I get what you say about the design, Ron Z.

Yet, back in the day, at school, we thought these were the coolest pens!

I never had one, then ( but I did have a black harlequin, so I was  doing okay in the cool pen stakes, anyway)

I've had a few since and they were never spectacular performers - and as I've headed more into vintage pens, over the decades, the design has lost its charm for me.

alexander_k, Nice work. I appreciate your efforts for the underdog, but I'd shift it on and get another underdog - there's plenty about!

Just my 2 cents (much increased, at current exchange rates)

Good luck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker 25, dry, grinding, parker vector

Sponsored Content

|