Vintage Platinum Zo-Gan Inlay Repair

Lomi

Today I received a new pen and found out a few problems that possible can be resolved by myself, though i still have a question.
The problem is silver colored inlay in pen that Nakaya refers to as "zo-gan" and it's front kinda glued out from pen body, i'm worried that any kind of force applied in opposite direction to this inlay and it can tear off, but i can lift it a little with needle and reach up to the center of it to glue it back, but i have no idea what kind of glue can be used for this kind of application, anyone had similar experience? or maybe you can recommend glue that would be safe to use and easy to remove excess from plastic, because even if reach under inlay there still a chance that some of the glue will left around that i need to remove, though please do not use any brand names and recommend just the "type" of glue by it's properties that can help, i'm kinda far from USA and chances of having same product here is close to 0, but i can try to find proper one if you can help me with "type" of glue.
From what material this inlay is made out of i have no idea, but it's possibly same white gold (WG) from which Nakaya makes their zo-gan inlays even today.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lomi

Top Posters In This Topic

well seems like the best solution i could find is to use epoxy glue, at least that's the stuff people use to glue inlaid gold nibs back (assuming that my inlay is white gold or some kind of metal too), it's should be safe for plastic + I will have time to remove excess glue, the only thing left to do is to buy few products and do some test runs with them. Still not sure tho if I will need to clean the joint under it before using, it's hard even to see whats in there, part of this inlay is still seems securely glued and idk if it's the best idea to remove it completly, maybe it will break, but i guess i will figure out it in the process...
Unless someone could give me better ideas on what to do, i guess i will stick out to this process and will report back when I either fail or succeed, maybe it will at least help someone in the future.

Edited by Lomarion

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files