The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sent A Pen To Japan?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 23:32

A friend of mine does modifications of pens. Now if someone sends a pen to her which is worth more than $100, Japanese customs might put import taxes for the full price of the pen on it, even if the pen is sent back to original owner.

In such a case what kind of documents should accompany the pen that Japanese customs know that this pen will be returned and is not imported?

Have you ever done something like this?

Sponsored Content

#2 KyleClapton

KyleClapton

Still Young

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:26

So it means she sent the pen to be modified and then now the pen was sent back to her, right?

So I think, she can provide a label of shipment when she shipped the pen out together with the emails between her and the store which offers the service mentioning about sending a pen to be modified. Then also the receipt of the  payment for the service.

Then maybe she will be asked for paying a tax for the amount she paid for the service, I am not sure.

Hopefully she can get her pen back safe and sound.

:D Nice to meet you  :D

#3 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:27

Thank you for answering.

Problem is when entering Japan for modification. A pen is sent to the shop for modification but custom officers can think of it as an import.

(For returning to EU, the procedures are known.)

Sponsored Content

|