The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Is There Supposed To Be A Breather Tube In An Eversharp Envoy?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 20:30

Apologies if you saw this post on the Eversharp subforum.  I wasn't sure where to post, so I posted this there first.  Lack of response means I think I might do better in this forum

I just bought an Eversharp Envoy. I'm very excited for it. As is my custom when I purchase pens, I generally go over the fixes again. I've purchased from this dealer before, and he's honest about his pens and I trust him, but I still redo the work on them.

This particular pen had a new sac on it, cut too short. Typical and not a problem. But when I pulled it, I noticed there was no breather tube. I've not run across a 40's Eversharp without one before. I've got plenty of replacement tubing, so it is not problem at all, but is this that rare pen by Eversharp in the 40's that doesn't have one? Or is it missing?

Sponsored Content

#2 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,428 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 20:57

WOW!!

As far as I am aware, the finest, most experienced pen restorers in the English speaking world are here on FPN and seem to participate in this forum.  And not a single person can answer this restoration question about an Eversharp Envoy.

This has got to be the rarest fountain pen in existence!!  I really did get a bargain!!  Maybe I ought to just slap a new sac in here, and add a 600% markup to the pen over what I paid for it.  I bet I'll get a handsome profit on such a rare and valuable pen.

:wacko:

#3 Paul-in-SF

Paul-in-SF

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 21:30

I'm sorry the forum kept you waiting for a whole day for any input on this issue.

I am none of those things that you said, but I have this to suggest: does the feed have a hole for a breather tube? You might have to knock out the feed to check this, if you haven't already, but from my limited experience, if you can see the hole for the tube in the back and the other little hole on the side, then it probably needs a breather tube. 

Alternative suggestion: did or does it draw water with a sac and without a breather tube? You can test this just by slipping a sac over the nipple without shellacking it in place and trying it out. If that doesn't work, it's probably another clue that it needs a breather tube. 

Third suggestion: contact that dealer whom you trust and ask them what they think? If they are good at their work and they didn't put one in, maybe they can tell you that the tube is not necessary, and why. 

I hope that's enough for going on with, until a real expert shows up. 

#4 bsenn

bsenn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 22:40

Brand new in the box never been opened - until now. Tube sticks out just shy of 1-1/2" past sac nipple.

You're welcome.

IMG_20190814_173753988~2.jpg

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

#5 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,428 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 00:30

Bsenn: thank you.  That answers my question

Paul-in-SF: I thought I was being silly because I was in a good mood today and it must not have come off that way.  You and anyone else who took it as anything but that has my complete apologies.

#6 Paul-in-SF

Paul-in-SF

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 18:28

No problem, I've been there; tone is hard to convey in just print, isn't it? 

#7 Addertooth

Addertooth

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2019 - 16:34

Keep in mind that many Eversharps are out there and working well without the tube.  The tube allows for more complete filling of the sac, and if that is not critical to you, the pen will likely work fine without it.  Some of the websites sell tubing by the foot for you to replace a missing tube.  

#8 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,428 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2019 - 19:13

True. Just trying to do it right. Couple other parts are incorrect too. So thats not the only thing I gotta do :)

Sponsored Content

|