The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Repair Process

sailor repair itoya japan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyTex

JonnyTex

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:10

I wasn't 100% sure if I should start this thread in the repair or Japan forum. I chose Japan because it is not about repairing a Sailor pen but sending it to Sailor for repair.

I thought I would post this thread to inform anyone interested of how the repair process for Sailor Pens works. I sent mine in for repair because I lost the friction-fit inner cap. This is probably a 10 cent part, but the only solution I could find was to send it to the factory for repair.

After consulting the forums in this thread: http://www.fountainp...ap-replacement/

I contacted Itoya -- the US Sailor distributor -- via their website: itoya.com. From there, I emailed returns@itoya.com and received this email:

Hi Jonny,

We can help facilitate the repair with Sailor. We as the distributor is not allowed by Sailor to do any sort of repair. All repair work has to be done at the factory in Japan. It is also Sailor policy not to send just parts for replacement. The entire pen has to be sent to Japan for evaluation. Even if you are just missing the inner cap. This is to ensure that the pen is in perfect working condition once the parts are replaced and repair is completed.

Below is our repair process.

You will be shipping your pen to our facility in California. Once it arrives, we will send this to SAILOR Japan. Once the evaluation is completed, SAILOR will contact us with a cost estimate which we will forward to you through email. If you authorize us to have SAILOR proceed, you are responsible for this amount plus a $20.00 shipping & handling fee (these charges are typically handled by credit card - we accept Visa, MasterCard or Discover). The entire process typically takes 10-12 weeks. If you decide not to proceed with the repair, the pen will be return unrepaired and your cost will only be the $20.00 shipping and handling.

Please send the entire pen to ITOYA, at the address below. Reference on the outside of the package ######### for easy identification.

Itoya
800 Sandhill Avenue
Carson, CA 90746

Here's the timeline so far for repair:

Tuesday, July 9, 2019
I sent the pen to Itoya via USPS.

Friday, July 12, 2019
USPS let me know Itoya received the pen.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019
I emailed Itoya to confirm receipt since I had not heard from them.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Itoya confirmed they had received my pen.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019
I have not received further communication from Itoya. I assume all is moving forward and my pen is somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

I will update this thread as the process continues.

In the meantime, I sent a pen to Franklin-Christoph last week for repair and have already received confirmation that it is in the mail back to me. I have also learned that Pilot has a repair tech in Lousiana. I love my Sailor, but I may choose Pilot for my next Japanese pen since they shouldn't require 10-12 weeks for a simple repair.

Sponsored Content

#2 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 18:01

Thanks for this very informative post.  Best of luck in getting a rapid repair.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#3 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 21:02

So glad to see this post. I’ve long heard of the difficulties dealing with Sailor. I love my Sailor pens, and have never had a problem needing service. Except for now. I seem to have a few ProGear pens with cap band discoloration. They have been in the case for years. I just noticed them. I’m not looking forward to dealing with this.
I’ll be watching your post with interest.

#4 JonnyTex

JonnyTex

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:57

Thanks for this very informative post.  Best of luck in getting a rapid repair.

HAHAHA. I'm happy to let you know how it goes. I think rapid is already left the building. I just hope I get my pen back someday.

#5 JonnyTex

JonnyTex

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 18:01

So glad to see this post. I’ve long heard of the difficulties dealing with Sailor. I love my Sailor pens, and have never had a problem needing service. Except for now. I seem to have a few ProGear pens with cap band discoloration. They have been in the case for years. I just noticed them. I’m not looking forward to dealing with this.
I’ll be watching your post with interest.

I don't know that I would call anything difficulties yet, but I'll keep you posted. They said 10-12 weeks, so I hope to hear something by the end of them month asking for $20 to ship the pen back. So far it's been easy, and I don't mind the wait. I just wish I was getting a little more feedback from Itoya.

#6 JonnyTex

JonnyTex

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 20:30

Just heard back from Itoya. I got an email that said they are ready to put a new inner cap in my pen. They asked me for $35. (They are quite proud of that little inner cap. $15 + $20 handling fee that includes shipping.) I called in my credit card number. We'll see what happens next. Hope you are all enjoying this  v e r y  s l o w  play-by-play.

And, again, they have been super helpful. It just takes a long time to get a pen to Japan on a boat... My only real complaint about the whole process is that they didn't just send me an inner cap to stick in the cap myself. Ultimately though, I realize it's because they want to make sure the pen is right.

Hopefully, this step means they will stick the inner cap in the cap tomorrow and put it back in the mail! Maybe, I'll have it in 3 weeks?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, repair, itoya, japan

Sponsored Content

|