The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Italic Versions Of The Minuscule 's' And 'd'

italic minuscule

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 _InkyFingers

_InkyFingers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2019 - 00:17

oh7Ucxw.jpg

Sponsored Content

#22 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:21

49E9004C-ADC9-48D0-B444-9C754862D20E.jpeg

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#23 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,722 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:25

Lovely handwriting there, @Bobje!

That quote makes me think of Orpheus and Eurydice.

Is that the end of an acrylic Delike Alpha showing in the photo?

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. I believe we're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but no shared values and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#24 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:22

Thank you kindly, ASD. Your reaction prompted me to review the story of Orpheus and Eurydice. Watch out for snakes at your wedding. That is indeed a Delike alpha.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#25 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2019 - 21:36

I tend to logically delineate between writing in italic, and writing in cursive (italic or otherwise).

When I'm writing in cursive, then I don't think the entrance stroke from the baseline would look out of place on a minuscule 's' at the start of a word. When I'm just writing (or 'printing') in italic script, then the minuscule 's' would have no entrance stroke from the left, irrespective of the letter's position in the word.

In the exemplars in The Calligrapher's Bible by David Harris, the minuscule 's' has the diagonal entrance stroke in Cancelleresca corsiva as well as Copperplate (in both the "Italian hand" and English Roundhand).

I agree, at least certainly regarding cursive
when I was tough cursive in primary school, I was tought to use the entrance stroke on the minuscule s even at the start of the word.
I was never tought script so I would not know.

It is though the entrance stroke, which should in reality be the linking stroke, becomes a characterizing element of cursive letters to the extent that they maintain the stroke even when written alone

Edited by sansenri, 20 September 2019 - 21:43.

#26 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 20:04

At the beginning of words, I decided on the 's' with no entrance stroke and the standard 'g.' Inside of a word, the alternate versions, unless I don't feel like it.

shikishi-shower-cicadas-800px.jpg

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

#27 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:05

At the beginning of words, I decided on the 's' with no entrance stroke and the standard 'g.' Inside of a word, the alternate versions, unless I don't feel like it.

attachicon.gif shikishi-shower-cicadas-800px.jpg

What ink did you use for this, Bobje?

#28 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:28

Jaeger, this is Blackstone red cashmere. The lighting throws it off in this photo.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

#29 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 13:43

Thanks, Bobje, I would never have guessed that.

#30 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:51

Montblanc corn poppy red. BC01C755-DD11-4131-9FFA-7020519533E6.jpeg

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

#31 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 18:04

Hey, Bob, which is more at fault for the feathering? The ink or the paper?

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#32 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:44

Randal,
The paper. It was an experiment with an Ikea notebook. Not good for fountain pens.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: italic, minuscule

Sponsored Content

|