Which Royal Blue Ink To Get?

AMlines

I can't vouch for the inks I used thirty years ago. At the time I was always on the quest for Permanent Inks, typically Montblanc, but also Parker or Waterman or anything I could find labelled with "permanent". They were not, most probably, indelible or bulletproof, but have stood the pass of time rather well. Here is a picture of some notes in blue ink I took in 1983.

fpn_1559200876__20190530_090047.jpg

This is interesting because 1) they were taken on discarded, cheap (I assume) ballot paper, and 2) they were in a block of sheets that have been in a plastic magazine file. The picture is from the front page that has been exposed to light all these years.

The color may be a bit washed, but it has remained. Highlighter in some pages is barely visible. But you can still read it.

Now, would I recommend any? Problem is that most of these ink formulations have been reported to change over the years. A case in point is MB permanent blue, which has gone through several reformulations and now is archival ISO certified. Many of those permanent inks of the time were labeled so despite low water resistance or only for water resistance, limited permanence anyway.

That said, it doesn't matter. I think there are plenty of good permanent, bulletproof, water-resistant inks nowadays to chose from.

Edited by txomsy

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AMlines

• Honeybadgers

• sandy101

• DonM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you do plan on leaving it out in the light, consider iron gall inks. They tend to laugh at UV light

my experience with iron gall is the opposite, they fade and turn brown with uv. Still readable. The discontinued Lamy blue-black, the discontinued Montblanc midnite blue, diamine registrar, they all faded in the window, and under florescent light.

They did laugh at water though.

Edited by wallylynn

The list of inks you’ve settled on to start looks good. If you are concerned about field notes getting wet, and want some permanence to them, I would strongly recommend Pilot Blue Black. It’s waterproof but still easier to clean up than any permanent ink. It’s inexpensive and you can buy it in Large coke size bottles on Amazon.

Thanks! This could just be the long-term solution to the times when I need to take notes out in the open. It certainly helps a lot if it's not expensive.

Can you explain what you mean by permanence? How will this blue-black be different from fully permanent inks?

Will I need to clean the pen more often?

Are there any advantages the Pilot will have over fully permanent inks?

Do you have an idea as to how many years it'll last, if kept away from direct sunlight?

It can be fussy about the paper it likes. I’ve had it feather on me, but in order to get the waterproof / spill proof quality, i adjust my paper to the ink.

That may actually not be such a problem for my uses. Even when I am out in the open and taking notes I don't see any reason to not use good to high quality paper. In fact, I've just got a Clairefontaine My Essential A5 notebook with it's rubber band clasp and it seems like it's made to be used as field notebook :)

It’s a great ink, not as color saturated as Aurora Blue, Visconti and the “Iro” inks, but it’s good to have a bottle of it in your ink cabinet.

I really wish they could come up with semi-permanent inks like this Pilot in a rich blue colour. I've been writing with a Pilot gel pen in Navy blue and it's quite a dark blue ink which just seems to absorb a lot of light, as opposed to say a rich blue coloured ink.

My experience with the Pilot Blue and Blue-Black inks shows that both are water resistant. I know the blue is reasonably resistant to UV light. Interestingly, when you soak the blue-black in water it comes out looking exactly like the blue soaked in water. So if you like the standard blue better than blue-black you should not have much difference in long-term performance.

If you want really permanent ink, Platinum Carbon Black is excellent. It is also not that hard to clean out of a pen, even if you have let it completely dry out. I haven't tested the Platinum permanent blue, so can't speak to that one other than it is a rather unsaturated blue.

I can't vouch for the inks I used thirty years ago. At the time I was always on the quest for Permanent Inks, typically Montblanc, but also Parker or Waterman or anything I could find labelled with "permanent". They were not, most probably, indelible or bulletproof, but have stood the pass of time rather well. Here is a picture of some notes in blue ink I took in 1983.

Thanks for uploading the picture. It sure looks fine. And, hopefully things should be even better now with advances in technology.

This is interesting because 1) they were taken on discarded, cheap (I assume) ballot paper, and 2) they were in a block of sheets that have been in a plastic magazine file. The picture is from the front page that has been exposed to light all these years.

The color may be a bit washed, but it has remained. Highlighter in some pages is barely visible. But you can still read it.

Now, would I recommend any? Problem is that most of these ink formulations have been reported to change over the years. A case in point is MB permanent blue, which has gone through several reformulations and now is archival ISO certified. Many of those permanent inks of the time were labeled so despite low water resistance or only for water resistance, limited permanence anyway.

That said, it doesn't matter. I think there are plenty of good permanent, bulletproof, water-resistant inks nowadays to chose from.

Can you recommend some blue inks that are also bright? Once, I settle on my everyday ink I am going to research and figure out which permanent ink I like.

Thanks!

This "looking for the right ink" always devolves into a somewhat fun case down Alice's rabbit hole. Tbe answer to obtain some samples. Nothing short of trying some inks out yourself will give you answers. Don't be surprised if you change your mind part-way through a bottle, either. So here's a good selection of samples. These are all good inks, and I make my living as a teacher-scholar, and always used a ffountain pen during my student days through now, decades later. To wit:

- Waterman Serenity Blue

- Diamine Sapphire Blue (or similar)

- Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue

- Pilot Blue

- Pilot Blue-Black

All are reasonably-priced, well-behaved, handsome inks, which will be safe for your pens. Look at the ink samples pictured on the Goulet or another pages, and pick out enough additional blues to make a sample set of ten. Give in to inuition on the "extras."

Surely, one if the ten will get you started. To be safe, order a bottle each of your favorite two once you've made your mind up. Load a Preppy or Plaisar converter with your second choice.

P. S.

Don't be monochromatic. Pick a pleasant contrasting color, for adding later comments. Waterman Brown is very readable and pleasing, as is a green-black. A Platinum Plaisar, TWSBI ECO, or one of several ONLINE pens would be economical choices. I lived in a monochromatic world as a student, feeling lucky when I could find two brands of blue ink!

Good luck!

Edited by Brianm_14

Brian

My experience with the Pilot Blue and Blue-Black inks shows that both are water resistant. I know the blue is reasonably resistant to UV light. Interestingly, when you soak the blue-black in water it comes out looking exactly like the blue soaked in water. So if you like the standard blue better than blue-black you should not have much difference in long-term performance.

If you want really permanent ink, Platinum Carbon Black is excellent. It is also not that hard to clean out of a pen, even if you have let it completely dry out. I haven't tested the Platinum permanent blue, so can't speak to that one other than it is a rather unsaturated blue.

Thanks, it looks good. I am trying to see if I can find that one blue ink which will be permanent and also provide for a good writing experience. But, I will keep the black in mind when I get around to buying a permanent ink.

Be sure to check out Monteverde Horizon Blue, Sapphire Blue and Malibu Blue. They are great blues with nice flow and lubrication, and they behave well on most any paper.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348190-monteverde-horizon-blue/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/320011-ink-review-monteverde-malibu-blue/

They are also a lot less expensive than many others.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

This "looking for the right ink" always devolves into a somewhat fun case down Alice's rabbit hole. Tbe answer to obtain some samples. Nothing short of trying some inks out yourself will give you answers. Don't be surprised if you change your mind part-way through a bottle, either. So here's a good selection of samples. These are all good inks, and I make my living as a teacher-scholar, and always used a ffountain pen during my student days through now, decades later. To wit:

- Waterman Serenity Blue

- Diamine Sapphire Blue (or similar)

- Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue

- Pilot Blue

- Pilot Blue-Black

All are reasonably-priced, well-behaved, handsome inks, which will be safe for your pens. Look at the ink samples pictured on the Goulet or another pages, and pick out enough additional blues to make a sample set of ten. Give in to inuition on the "extras."

Surely, one if the ten will get you started. To be safe, order a bottle each of your favorite two once you've made your mind up. Load a Preppy or Plaisar converter with your second choice.

P. S.

Don't be monochromatic. Pick a pleasant contrasting color, for adding later comments. Waterman Brown is very readable and pleasing, as is a green-black. A Platinum Plaisar, TWSBI ECO, or one of several ONLINE pens would be economical choices. I lived in a monochromatic world as a student, feeling lucky when I could find two brands of blue ink!

Good luck!

Thanks. Appreciate the list you provided. And you do have a point! We are spoilt for choice these days. I am returning to FPs after school and feeling a little overwhelmed with the choice. But, I will get to trying out members' recommendation as much as I can.

I quite like the Plaisir. The only obvious drawback is the "tinny" body material which makes it feel cheap, but more importantly, is slippery to the touch. On the other hand, it works quite well on the grip, and that's what really matters.

Since you say you want a "rich" royal blue, Aurora would be the obvious choice. Pilot Asa-Gao is eye-popping intense compared to most other inks.

I like middle-of-the-road school blue. For years I've used Montblanc. I just switched to Lamy. There's been chatter that they changed the formula on their blue ink, and I find it reliable, pleasant, and a bit more intense than Waterman, Pelikan, and even MB.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Also, check out Stipula Calamo Deep Blue. It is a very nice ink that isn't as well known as some others.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have been pleased with Camlin Royal Blue which I bought from India, having seen it on eBay.

It was very reasonably priced, including postage, and quickly delivered!

It reminds me of Quink Royal Blue, which I used at school in the 1960s; as a bonus, it smells like Quink used to.

The list of inks you’ve settled on to start looks good. If you are concerned about field notes getting wet, and want some permanence to them, I would strongly recommend Pilot Blue Black. It’s waterproof but still easier to clean up than any permanent ink. It’s inexpensive and you can buy it in Large coke size bottles on Amazon. It can be fussy about the paper it likes. I’ve had it feather on me, but in order to get the waterproof / spill proof quality, i adjust my paper to the ink. It’s a great ink, not as color saturated as Aurora Blue, Visconti and the “Iro” inks, but it’s good to have a bottle of it in your ink cabinet.

Thanks. Ill look it up. If it's good enough I don't mind shifting away from royal blue.

But, is it as resistance to fade as the better inks out there? If I protect it from direct sunlight, can I still expect to be able to read it after 10-15 years?

Which paper would you recommend for this ink? I am currently using Rhodia and Clairefonrtaine. Both are nice, but I am thinking of getting the Midori MD.