The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Too Good To Be True?

lamy 2000 lamy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 paprenu

paprenu

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:26

As a buyer on the US east coast, is 130 USD for a Lamy 2000 new from the UK (plus 6 USD shipping) a price too good to be true? I see them at most online retailers for much more than that, and don't want to risk a problem with the purchase. I recently went to my first pen show in DC, got to try a lot of really cool pens, among them a particular amber model by Dan Symonds that I nearly bought on the spot, and would have if for a lack of restraint, and ultimately decided that answer to the ever-present system of attainability and enjoyability is the Lamy 2000, M. I have put quite a bit of work into finding the best price I can — I'm always one to hold change tightly — but I want to make sure there's nothing wrong going on here before I send my hard earned dollars across the Atlantic. And of course, if anyone has a recommendation for a better (read "less expensive", though anything is welcome) mode or method of acquiring one of these fantastic instruments, I of course am more than happy to read it.

Edited by paprenu, 12 August 2019 - 09:29.

Sponsored Content

#2 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:29

As a buyer on the US east coast, is 130 USD for a Lamy 2000 new from the UK (plus 6 USD shipping) a price too good to be true? I see them at most online retailers for much more than that, and don't want to risk a problem with the purchase. I recently went to my first pen show in DC, got to try a lot of really cool pens, among them a particular amber model by Dan Symonds that I nearly bought on the spot, and would have if for a lack of restraint, and ultimately decided that answer to the ever-present system of attainability and enjoyability is the Lamy 2000, M. I have put quite a bit of work into finding the best price I can I'm always one to hold change tightly but I want to make sure there's nothing wrong going on here before I send my hard earned dollars across the Atlantic. And of course, if anyone has a recommendation for a better (read "less expensive", though anything is welcome) mode or method of acquiring one of these fantastic instruments, I of course am more than happy to read it.

Are you talking about Cult Pens? Theyre a good online shop, and arent selling anything dodgy.

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

#3 InkedSophie

InkedSophie

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:36

If you mean Cult Pens, they are a terrific shop!

#4 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:11

It appears to me that the Lamy price you see is good but not absurd. Cult Pens is a seller from whom I (in Oz) purchased a few years ago. I know of nothing against them and would happily use them again.

As a possible explanation, the GBP declined when they voted for Brexit and continues to do so with the enlivened possibility of a hard Brexit. Therefore, it tends to be cheaper to buy from Britain especially where it is existing stock. I certainly dived in for several pens on the first of those events. This is merely an observation on currency movements.

Edited by praxim, 12 August 2019 - 11:11.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#5 farazqamar

farazqamar

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 19:03

i would recommend asking savannah at endless pens. they have some of the best prices found online. i got 2 lamys from them 2k steel and a dialogue 3 at unbelievable prices.

#6 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:03

130 USD in this thread, 175 USD in the other thread of the same title. What is going on?

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy 2000, lamy

Sponsored Content

|