The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Too Good To Be True?

lamy 2000 lamy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 paprenu

paprenu

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:25

As a buyer on the US east coast, is 175 USD for a Lamy 2000 new from the UK (plus 6 USD shipping) a price too good to be true? I see them at most online retailers for much more than that, and don't want to risk a problem with the purchase. I recently went to my first pen show in DC, got to try a lot of really cool pens, among them a particular amber model by Dan Symonds that I nearly bought on the spot, and would have if for a lack of restraint, and ultimately decided that answer to the ever-present system of attainability and enjoyability is the Lamy 2000, M. I have put quite a bit of work into finding the best price I can — I'm always one to hold change tightly — but I want to make sure there's nothing wrong going on here before I send my hard earned dollars across the Atlantic. And of course, if anyone has a recommendation for a better (read "less expensive", though anything is welcome) mode or method of acquiring one of these fantastic instruments, I of course am more than happy to read it.

(I've included an image of a Lamy 2000 from a review on EDJelly below. I'm sure you've all seen one, but this makes admiring it all the more easy.)

Sponsored Content

#2 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 23:37

Wouldn't import duties get the price above MSRP though?

#3 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 00:56

Paprenu,

I think you can get the same price in the States.  Fahrney's and Fountain Pen Hospital have it for $175, for example. No need to go across the pond, methinks.

And have you tried the FPN Marketplace?  There are often gently used Lamy 2ks on offer there, at lower prices.

Erick

Currently in Rotation: 

Leonardo Officina Italiana Momento Zero "F" nib running J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite

Guider Mini "EF" nib running Diamine Poppy Red

Moonman M6 "F" nib running Visconti Black

Opus 88 Fantasia "F" nib running J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite

Montegrappa NeroUno Duetto running PR Plum

#4 stylophilly

stylophilly

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:08

@Paprenu  Yea, no need to order from the UK. There are many US-based retailers that can easily match that $175 price. As langere mentioned, L2K also come on the secondhand market on here often, usually hovering around $100 used.

Good luck. 

#5 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:02

175 USD in this thread, 130 USD in the other thread of the same title. What is going on?

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#6 paprenu

paprenu

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 20:11

I accidentally put $175, the actual price is 130, which is why I have that in the other thread.

#7 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 20:57

130 is not too low. I paid about 140 for mine two years ago and got another on massdrop for 100.

Lesandro just did another run in EF, F and M for 130.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#8 BDarchitect

BDarchitect

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:23

I bought my 2000 from Cult Pens in England earlier this year for about US$142 (it was 109.58 GBP, w/o VAT).  No tax, no shipping fee, and no import duty.  US customs doesn't bother with anything that small.  Took about a week to get.  Very happy with the transaction.

#9 surprise123

surprise123

Estate Find

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:20

As a buyer on the US east coast, is 175 USD for a Lamy 2000 new from the UK (plus 6 USD shipping) a price too good to be true? I see them at most online retailers for much more than that, and don't want to risk a problem with the purchase. I recently went to my first pen show in DC, got to try a lot of really cool pens, among them a particular amber model by Dan Symonds that I nearly bought on the spot, and would have if for a lack of restraint, and ultimately decided that answer to the ever-present system of attainability and enjoyability is the Lamy 2000, M. I have put quite a bit of work into finding the best price I can — I'm always one to hold change tightly — but I want to make sure there's nothing wrong going on here before I send my hard earned dollars across the Atlantic. And of course, if anyone has a recommendation for a better (read "less expensive", though anything is welcome) mode or method of acquiring one of these fantastic instruments, I of course am more than happy to read it.

(I've included an image of a Lamy 2000 from a review on EDJelly below. I'm sure you've all seen one, but this makes admiring it all the more easy.)

I don't understand. Are you referring to the brushed all-metal version, or the Makrolon classic version? I got my regular L2K lightly used for $90, did some smoothing, and have a glassy-smooth medium nib now. I will flag the next used Lamy 2000 WTS on FPN Marketplace here for you, the sellers are all honest and reliable on FPN.

I also saw a vendor at the DC Pen Show selling their Lamy 2000's (an older model, different box) for the flat price of $120.

Edited by surprise123, 31 August 2019 - 03:22.

#10 CJH111

CJH111

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:57

I just ordered a Lamy 2000 from Cult Pens, total cost including two bottles of ink--one free with purchase and one added in--was about 100 GBP (roughly $125).  They're having a 10% off end of summer sale.  It's en route now with free, tracked shipping. Can't wait--this is going to be the nicest pen I've owned by a good margin.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy 2000, lamy

Sponsored Content

|