The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ringtop Waterman Dripping

waterman repair

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 16:56

I was writing with one of my Watermans: a 52 1/2v with a Medium nib, when ink started to POUR out of the nib. I looked around on the repair forum for a cause, and the best suggestion was a catastrophic sac failure. A peculiarity of Los Angeles air is that its corrosive to rubber, so this is a plausible idea.
But I thought Id throw it out to the knowledge base: any other ideas?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 17:50

In order of probability:

1. hole in sac, no longer maintaining the "vacuum" on the ink.

2. the distance between the nib and the feed has increased (more common problem with people who heavily flex pens).

Test for number one:  Over a cup, pull the lever... does it drain with a compelling squirt?  When you put in in a glass of water, and work the lever... does it drain and fill?  With the lever down (after draining), when you stick it in the water and raise the lever, do you get a burst of bubbles rising from the submerged nib?

Test for number two: Visual inspection of the relationship between the nib and the feed.. does it now have a gap bigger than what a thin piece of paper will slide into?  The space should be very thin to support wicking, but not allowing air to rush into the sac too quickly.  At the tip of the feed, it should be touching the nib with no visual gap.

Edited by Addertooth, 11 August 2019 - 17:52.

#3 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,052 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 19:59

Well, there’s no gap twixt nib and feed. I’ll get a cup and get back to you.

#4 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 21:15

Okay, I will look forward to your response.  Do you feel comfortable popping the section off and replaceing the sac?  (It will be a shortened number 16 typically).

I will be away from the keyboard a while, doing some gold plating on a mule pen (a pen which can be sacrificed in the name of science).

Edited by Addertooth, 11 August 2019 - 21:17.

#5 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 00:55

I left out another obvious cause.... the feed and nib are not fully seated in the section, a simple push and twisting action will let you know if this is the case.

#6 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,052 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 20:24

I'll give that a go when I go home; otherwise I'll send it out. I can repair pens or have a life - not both.

#7 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:26

Chuckle, I have the advantage of being a boring old married person, who loves to tinker.

Edited by Addertooth, 13 August 2019 - 02:26.

#8 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,052 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:54

I’m a widow with a career in something other than pen repair.

#9 cunim

cunim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:20

As pointed out, probably a sac because you say the ink would "pour out".  However, I have had two pens that would do this intermittently.  One was a modern eyedropper (Danitrio) which, every now and then, would drain its ink chamber.  The other is an oversize Gen 1 Doric which is normally a good writer.  First time it gushed I sent it back to Mauricio as there was this mystic thing around the nib adjustment.  Still happened so I took out the personal point, removed nib, generally futzed about with it and reassembled.  Hasn't happened in a while.  If the sac is fine, reseat everything.

By the way, I find vintage pens are very prone to burping if the sac is almost empty.  If it gushes as it heats up in your hand, but not when cool, try just filling it.

#10 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,052 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 18:37

I'll give that a go. What's ink, after all?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, repair

Sponsored Content

|