The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Nine Pigment Inks Tested For Waterproofness

sailor platinum pelikan waterproof water resistant

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2019 - 21:43

What kind of paper did you use? And you soaked it about ten minutes? I could replicate to test it for sure.

I used Rhodia Dotpad No.16 80g/m² 5mm dot grid paper for the test sheet, and soaked it for maybe 30 minutes.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. I believe we're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but no shared values and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

Sponsored Content

#22 TennesseeTrash

TennesseeTrash

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2019 - 21:59

Since you have access to all of these inks, I'd be interested in seeing how they feather on low quality papers. I frequently see pigment inks touted as being "feather resistant." However, I once attempted to write a phone number on a post-it note with a pen filled with souboku (my only pigment ink). It feathered so badly that the writing was illegible after a few seconds. 

#23 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2019 - 23:37

Since you have access to all of these inks, I'd be interested in seeing ...

"Since"? I don't see how my "access" could be construed as cause for you to be interested.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 13 September 2019 - 23:41.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. I believe we're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but no shared values and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative.

#24 Caeruleum

Caeruleum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2019 - 15:12

Thank you!

#25 TennesseeTrash

TennesseeTrash

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2019 - 18:56

"Since"? I don't see how my "access" could be construed as cause for you to be interested.

Fair enough.

#26 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2019 - 15:50

For myself, I find that the inks which shed a lot of color that runs off if you're holding a paper under the tap is not usefully waterproof. In the real world, with a minor spill, those end up leaving an illegible mess after soaking through multiple pages.

#27 pararis

pararis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 16:43

The only other totally waterproof ink I've used is DeAtrementis document black, however I've only tested that with drops of water and under multiple layers of watercolour washes. I haven't soaked it.
What kind of paper did you use? And you soaked it about ten minutes? I could replicate to test it for sure.

I've tested that ink, but I'm not as cavalier as the OP. I put the ink on paper and wait at least a week, usually a month, then I do a soak in tepid water for 30 minutes. The DeAtramentis Document Black (and blue) ink performs as perfectly in these conditions as Platinum Carbon Black.

#28 pararis

pararis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 16:58

I've tested a lot of inks over time; surprisingly few meet my standard as absolutely watertight. When I began, I made the same mistake this OP makes -- a lot of different inks on the same page. You soon realize you sometimes can't tell where the bleed came from so the results are not useful. I test to my standard for my intended purpose. I put information on good quality archival paper in notebooks, journals, etc. for posterity. One example of this is family genealogy information. I'm not testing against a coffee spill. I'm testing against some kind of flooding or soaking years hence.

For testing, I use a single sheet of the paper I intend to use, and I put the ink on there from the fountain pen I intend to use. Then it sits for at least a week, often times a month. After that "curing" process, I deep soak the sample in fresh tepid water for at least 30 minutes. I do one sheet at a time and replace with fresh water before doing the next soak. Then I pull it out, set it on a towel and let it dry for 24 hours. What I see then tells me what I need to know.

This is what led me to Platinum Carbon Black as my go to ink, and I keep several pens loaded with it.

I also always refer people to the Jet Pens article on "Waterproof Fountain Pen Inks." They have done some great testing -- but only on inks they sell! Nevertheless very worth reading. They make a distinction between "water resistant" and "waterproof." They also find few inks meet their waterproof standard.

https://www.jetpens....pen-inks/pt/829

#29 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 00:23

I've tested that ink, but I'm not as cavalier as the OP.

When I began, I made the same mistake this OP makes -- a lot of different inks on the same page. You soon realize you sometimes can't tell where the bleed came from so the results are not useful.

Thank you for your feedback.

fpn_1570492256__these_pigment_inks_shed_

fpn_1570492352__blue_pigment_inks_on_pag

I test to my standard for my intended purpose.

Good for you. I always recommend that consumers who want to be assured how something would perform, behave or fare in the specific use cases and test cases they have in mind 'should' do their own testing, which starts with spending effort and perhaps money to acquire (a sample or a full bottle of) the ink, the paper/journal, the pen/nib featured in each test case, then spend "time" and effort to prepare a writing sample or other artefact under the same conditions (that are considered relevant in significantly influencing the output) as the associated real-world use case, and then put it through what is likely to be destructive testing while monitoring the effects through the entire process. It could be a lot of work, take a lot of time and cost a lot of money, but the prospective loss of (say) the contents of one's journal may be considered to be significantly more than the price of a bottle of ink (plus tax, shipping and all) and three hours of testing effort.

I also always refer people to the Jet Pens article on "Waterproof Fountain Pen Inks." They have done some great testing -- but only on inks they sell! Nevertheless very worth reading. They make a distinction between "water resistant" and "waterproof."

Personally, anything I read on the World Wide Web is either just entertainment, or input into my risk assessment process and help me decide whether to spend time, effort and money on testing something or "trying it out". Reviews, comparison and such are not intended to minimise my operational risks or "save" myself money, and so I don't regard it as being such.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, platinum, pelikan, waterproof, water resistant

Sponsored Content

|