The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conid Minimalistica: The Drawbacks

conid minimalistica

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:50

Where does one obtain a Sailor nib to put into a Conid, me wonders?

Sponsored Content

#22 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:21

I bought one as NoS on the FPG boards.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#23 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Duit On Mon Dei

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:22

Where does one obtain a Sailor nib to put into a Conid, me wonders?

From a Sailor pen :)

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#24 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 15:07

This is the primary source. But a beater used pen with a nice nib and separate them.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#25 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,832 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 15:08

This is the primary source. Buy a beater used pen with a nice nib and separate them.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#26 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2019 - 23:30

a few weeks ago my colleague brought 5 or 6 Conids to work, all with different nibs, and that was a game changer. I instantly bonded with one of those pens to the extent that I tried to buy it on the spot

Please tell us which nib material and size it was that impressed you so much!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#27 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:18

Please tell us which nib material and size it was that impressed you so much!

It was a titanium nib that wrote somewhere beteen a western EF and F with a nice, pleasant feedback. However, it had been tuned by its owner.

#28 toymachine

toymachine

Near Mint

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:06

Excellent review. I'm been back on forth on the Conid. Lots of great details here mate.

#29 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:34

Excellent review. I'm been back on forth on the Conid. Lots of great details here mate.

Thanks! If you need a nudge closer to the edge, they move fast on the secondary market in the unlikely event it doesn't work out... :)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#30 Orval

Orval

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 20:33

Living in Belgium, I visited the factory where the Conids are made. I had a very friendly an interesting conversation with Werner. After trying the different pens, my hand choosed the Minimalistica Delrin wich, for me, had the most comfortable grip. Although the price was not a real issue (if one can wait and keep dreaming until saving enough money) it happened to be the cheapest of their offerings. The girth of the grip is the same as the Kingsize. As the grip of the Minimalistica is the whole barrel, you can grip it wherever you want. Having a high grip, this feels very comfortable for me. Delrin is a sturdy material with a warm touch, not slippy at all. I prefer it by much to the makrolon of the Lamy 2000. This pen has the second best ergonomics of my collection, after my Omas 360.

Normally I prefer an ink window but, in this case, the amount of ink is so huge that one can write for weeks. My trick is: refueling as soon as I can't hear the ink splashing when shaking the pen next to my ear. Uncapping with one hand is as easy as my Visconti Homo Sapiens. I don't post.

One year after this visit, I commanded a Minimalistica Delrin with Titanium nib, custom grinded to stub. The pen arrived some weeks later.

Writing experience was wonderful, except that there was ink starvation after some sentences. Disappointing. I went to Antwerp and they checked the nib. There was a problem with the plastic feed, wich was changed. After the replacement, the pen wrote flawless in the factory. I received a spare F steel nib with feeder for free as consolation for the trouble.

At home, the ink starvation came back after a half page of writing with this exquise Ti nib :(, no matter what I tried (flushing etc...). I changed to the spare steel nib. Being too lazy to return to the factory another time I'm still very happy with this steel nib and this pen is one of my best and most reliable writers. 

Edited by Orval, 24 September 2019 - 20:36.

Orval

#31 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Duit On Mon Dei

• Member - Gold

• 2,061 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 20:43

Is the shut-off valve open?

#32 Orval

Orval

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 21:05

Is the shut-off valve open?

Of course. There is none problem with the steel nib, wich I use since more than a year and with several inks. I tried several times with the Ti nib, without result.

Orval

#33 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Duit On Mon Dei

• Member - Gold

• 2,061 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 21:12

Orval, please PM me

#34 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• 6,310 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 21:54

I have a clear Minimalistica and I get starvation when cohesive forces cause the ink to adhere to the walls of the tunnel connecting the feed to the reservoir.  A small shake is needed at times to get the cohesive forces to break and allow the ink to flow again.  I think this is due to CONID using the same rod as in another one of their pens (to cut costs) forcing them to employ a longer than necessary tunnel.  I find some inks are less likely than others as sticking to the walls.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#35 Orval

Orval

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2019 - 19:22

I found out that the tines of the Ti nib don't touch each other at the tip? Could this be the culprit of the ink starvation?

Attached Images

• Ti nib Minimalistica.jpg

Orval

#36 Orval

Orval

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2019 - 19:36

I have a clear Minimalistica and I get starvation when cohesive forces cause the ink to adhere to the walls of the tunnel connecting the feed to the reservoir.  A small shake is needed at times to get the cohesive forces to break and allow the ink to flow again.  I think this is due to CONID using the same rod as in another one of their pens (to cut costs) forcing them to employ a longer than necessary tunnel.  I find some inks are less likely than others as sticking to the walls.

If this was the culprit, it should also occur with my steel nib. But these performs flawless. I used the same ink for both nibs. Shaking my titanium nib didn't solve the ink starvation. Thanks for your contribution.

Orval

#37 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• 6,310 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 20:19

I found out that the tines of the Ti nib don't touch each other at the tip? Could this be the culprit of the ink starvation?

The tines don't usually touch.  Is the feed misaligned or is the photo off center?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#38 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,646 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 20:40

The end my Conids' feeds are usually flush with the nib edges. Assuming the above nib and feed are similar, the misalignment is very minor (probably a fraction of a mm). I would be surprised if this the cause of the problem (I have a handful of feeds that are much more misaligned that work perfectly fine) but I can't think of what else the problem may be, especially if the steel nib works well with the same feed. 

#39 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,448 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 20:54

It is interesting that there are so many pro/con feeling over the same issues.

I have a Slimline and I find the Delrin section extremely slippery.  All but the cap and section are the demo.

I also have a Minimalistica that has the older style O ring and I love the feel of capping it. It doesn't feel at all insecure, and I like the fact that there are enough differences between the two models to make me appreciate them as distinct models.

No writing issues at all (Ti nibs). They are both fine nibs but the SL writes a much thinner line.

Great pens.

the Danitrio Fellowship

#40 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Duit On Mon Dei

• Member - Gold

• 2,061 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 21:32

The end my Conids' feeds are usually flush with the nib edges. Assuming the above nib and feed are similar, the misalignment is very minor (probably a fraction of a mm). I would be surprised if this the cause of the problem (I have a handful of feeds that are much more misaligned that work perfectly fine) but I can't think of what else the problem may be, especially if the steel nib works well with the same feed. 

Hmm. The feed channel is a good mm to the left of the nib slit. in my experience this may lead to misaligned tines. I agree that this is an unlikely cause of ink starvation.

Is there a gap between the bottom of the nib and the top of the feed? I had this issue on a different pen with the same symptom.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conid, minimalistica

Sponsored Content

|