- Build Quality : build quality is excellent. The pen looks really polished and refined. The pen also withstands the passing of time without any problem. After two years of use, it looks good as new. The barrel is semi-transparent, making it easy to judge ink level.
- Weight & Dimensions : about 125 mm when capped - and as such a rather small pen. It's also definitely a featherweight. If you prefer pens with some heft to them, the M400/405 model will not be your thing. Posted - the pen becomes about 150 mm long, and fits even larger hands.
- Filling System : this is a piston-filler, that holds quite some ink. The piston is made from plastic, but works really well. Pelikan are known for their excellent piston mechanism.
- Nib & Performance : the M400/405 Souverän pens have gold nibs. This one comes with a rhodium-plated monotone nib, that really suits the aesthetics of the pen. The nib unit can be exchanged quite easily, and is compatible between the M120/M200/M400/M101N models. Being able to change nibs is a significant plus in my book!
- Price : about 310 EUR, including taxes. Not cheap, but also not too expensive for a gold-nibbed pen. In my opinion you get value for money.
Registration on the Fountain Pen Network
Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.
Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team
FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Posted 10 August 2019 - 18:45
Posted 10 August 2019 - 18:56
Thanks for the updated review.
I absolutely love my M405 Stresemann. It's the most expensive pen I ever bought, but I had been lusting after one as soon as they came out; and in fact even before that -- when they did the M805 a couple of years before I was going "Oh, if they brought that out in a smaller size I'd be knocking over banks to get one!" Fortunately I did NOT have to turn to a life of crime -- due to circumstances which will never happen again I had a big shopping budget that spring and had the money to buy it (and an M405 in the Striated Blue as well ).
I wasn't able to get the "correct" nib for mine, but that's okay. Getting a B nib was more important to me than "matchy-matchy". Although I have considered having it reground to something like a cursive italic, so I was wondering how you liked the CI regrind on yours.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
Posted 29 November 2019 - 14:16
Lovely little review, thank you! Mine is out for delivery today- can't wait!
Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:14
– Lin Yu-T'ang
Posted 06 December 2019 - 23:30
How much did the extra nib cost? I find the nibs to be the most disappointing part of current Pelikans - just not that interesting. Is that why you replaced the nib?
See fpnibs.com for up-to-date prices.
I like the Pelikan F-nibs just fine (pun intended), but don’t care that much for their M-nibs. I find the line they provide not crisp enough. I decided to try a customised nib, and the “cursive italic” suits me just fine. Due to the re-grind, the F-ci is a bit broader than an F in the broad strokes, and really fine in the italic stroke - giving an elegant line variation. With an M-ci you get the same effect, but with a broader line. I really like these customised nibs ... I have some more on order for my Kaweco Lilliput/Sport and my Pelikan M200 (steel nib).
Edited by namrehsnoom, 06 December 2019 - 23:31.
Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen pit stop, pelikan, m405, stresemann
Brand Focus →
Brand Focus →
Brand Focus →
Writing Instruments →
Fountain Pen Reviews →
Brand Focus →