The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan "ibis"

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:09

I did change it after your post as you were clearly correct. I wanted to make sure there was no downstream confusion should others stumble upon the post in the future. Loved your pics by the way. Im always jealous of your photography.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Sponsored Content

#22 christof

christof

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:13

I did change it after your post as you were clearly correct. I wanted to make sure there was no downstream confusion should others stumble upon the post in the future. Loved your pics by the way. Im always jealous of your photography.

Thank you for clarification.

...and since you mention my photography, I have a couple of pictures more.  :D

I really like the IBIS in all its variants, and I think that it is a very interesting Sub-Brand of Pelikan, I will ad some pictures of pens from my collection to this thread. Hopefully, the OP doesn't find it intrusive...

This comparison shows cleary the different sizes of the IBIS' made before WWII and the IBIS 130 which was produced after 1949.

6789293224_ab5c3787e6_o.jpgIBIS_prewar_2 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

The prewar IBIS was made of Hardrubber except the barrel, wich was made of clear but black dyed celluloid:

13979951742_d74fc3a782_o.jpgPelikan IBIS Black Prewar by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

This one is NOT a demonstrator, it just shows well how unsteady the black dye was. In this case it disappeared almost completely.

And this IBIS is one of the extremely rare examples which were made of marbeled celluloid:

6789293214_df8df0aa43_o.jpgIBIS_prewar_1 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

There were three colors available: Gray, Red and Green ones are known. Mine is maybe just discolored gray...

After WWII  the production startet in 1949 again
26162694387_0dbf2249a4_o.jpgPelikan IBIS 130jpg by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

The pen was made of black celluloid (cap) and this acryl like plastic which could processed by injection molding and that Pelikan used to manufacture the barrels of the later 100 and 100N too. Only black examples of IBIS are known.

In 1952, the Pelikan IBIS was replaced by the famous Pelikan 140 until the production stopped in 1954 definitively.

8225757941_84af232034_o.jpgPelikan_140_green by c_m_z, auf Flickr

Last but not least, I don't have to mention the excellent site of Dominic Rothemel wich contains lots of facts and pictures:
https://www.pelikan-...IBIS/index.html

Edited by christof, 21 August 2019 - 20:06.

What's Up At Christof's: http://www.fountainp...tofs/?p=2337615

fpn_1501079397__18762338330_19cf666a48_o

#23 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Digger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 14:50

The Ibis, especially the post-war Ibis is one of my favorites. It has a very simple, clean appearance. The green ink window is a nice feature. I love the hourglass clip. Eventually I'd like to get another for my collection as well.

#24 tincansailor

tincansailor

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 18:48

I cannot recall exactly where I had come across the info.  Just one of those things picked up along the way and stored for later.  I'll be doing a post on the Ibis in the coming months and usually devote a fair bit of research to these things so I'll try to track down a definitive answer.  Lots of post ideas and lots of research necessary for them which is why I've been a bit slower to churn out content lately.

That is great, I can't wait for that! :)

Can't get enough info on this stuff.  Thanks for your hard work

#25 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 19:06

That is great, I can't wait for that! :)

Can't get enough info on this stuff.  Thanks for your hard work

Thanks for reading.  The rabbit hole goes quite deep on a lot of these topics.  Currently looking at post on the Gimborn 150, the M420/425/430, and a timeline of Pelikan history.  Once I have those in the can, I'll probably turn my attention to the Ibis and the Rappen, at least that's my plan.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#26 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 20:37

marbled celluloid:.............so rare, I never say any Pelikan of marbled celluloid: that I can remember on German Ebay. ....much less in three colors.

Always more to learn, and in there is no test, it is fun.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sponsored Content

|