Leonardo Photo Thread

Michael R.

Thanks for the reply, Jon. There seems to be a current effort to manufacture resins that look a lot like some of the classic Italian celluloids. I'm all for that, since the resins are more durable and much less expensive. Yeah. They don't have that classic camphor aroma, but they are certainly good looking.

Does Marta practice in San Diego now, or is she in L.A.? I miss her Devil's Dictionary posts.

The pen case theft is a total bummer! It was nice to see Sarj with his big grin in your photo. I hope he is able to come to the San Francisco show this year. I was able to score an M800 Grande Place from him that I'd missed on the official release. I have it inked at this moment.

David

- Yes, I agree on the materials. The pen I received is somewhat understated but still has much of the depth and chatoyance of the more exotic materials. In general, even when they weren't in my aesthetic wheelhouse I have found the Leonardo acrylics to be quite remarkable to the eye.

- M has been in San Diego for a couple of years. Alas, her schedule hasn't allowed her a lot of time for the visual side of things. In time, she may create and post those again.

- It was part of my mission to lighten a bit of the burden on Sarj. He was virtually one of the first people to show me, then an unknown n00b, a kindness at my very first pen show in LA years ago. I didn't know much and the only pens I had multiples of were Targas. I knew about a limited edition called the "Fred Force" in sterling silver and had only seen photos. He had one and allowed me - ME! - to hold and examine it. I have never forgotten that moment. Nothing bad should happen to someone like him but the world can be wicked. It is hard for them to hook SF into their schedule, coming right after DC. I'm not certain they can make it again, at least that is my impression.

Sorry, we're way off-topic!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• JonSzanto

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two Art Deco Grandes from Novelli. The size and shape of this is very comfortable in my hand, and the slight textured finish adds interest.

But I'm no left-coast bond wannabe, so mehbe on the wrong thread...

post-107896-0-99667600-1581529421.jpg

Edited by aardvarkbark

This thread just cost me a couple hundred dollars...I think I'm going to "need" a Momento Zero Grande in copper now...

This thread just cost me a couple hundred dollars...I think I'm going to "need" a Momento Zero Grande in copper now...

It’s a beautiful pen in Copper. I had Diamine Ancient Copper in mine for 6 weeks with no nib creep, and it was lovely.

My Leonardo MZ 2020 pens arrived today! They are at least as beautiful as I expected. Here are some photos. And, because of the curiosity about how the Blue Sorrento resin resembles Tibaldi Impero celluloid, I have provided a side-by-side comparison. Enjoy!

post-73460-0-35046600-1582314668_thumb.jpg

post-73460-0-23858600-1582314683_thumb.jpg

post-73460-0-52133500-1582314696_thumb.jpg

David

Thank you for showing these David, I'm still very much leaning on the green one

Well, the Impero is the Impero...

nice depth these resins though

Thank you for showing these David, I'm still very much leaning on the green one

Well, the Impero is the Impero...

nice depth these resins though

I am generally partial to blue pens, but the Iride Green-Blue is most beautiful. I inked it with Leonardo Green right away.

Still photos cannot fully capture the chatoyance. I'm happy some came through in my pictures.

David

Thanks for sharing, David!

Those are some beautiful pens...

I keep thinking the Leonardo's are like candy, you keep wanting more.....

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thanks for sharing, David!

Those are some beautiful pens...

I keep thinking the Leonardo's are like candy, you keep wanting more.....

Mark

LOL!

Well, I don't want more, until Leonardo produces a new issue as beautiful as this one. And their steel 1.1mm stubs are such dreamy writers.

David

My Leonardo MZ 2020 pens arrived today! They are at least as beautiful as I expected. Here are some photos. And, because of the curiosity about how the Blue Sorrento resin resembles Tibaldi Impero celluloid, I have provided a side-by-side comparison. Enjoy!

attachicon.gif MZ2020-1.jpg

attachicon.gif MZ2020-2.jpg

attachicon.gif MZ2020 vs Impero.jpg

David

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing, some awesome eye candy here

Thank you for sharing! Looking at the proportions of the mables, I wonder if the green marbles of the Iride are switched to grey, it may really look like Impero.

LOL!

Well, I don't want more, until Leonardo produces a new issue as beautiful as this one. And their steel 1.1mm stubs are such dreamy writers.

David

I have the same two on their way from Novelli now...should have them by Wednesday. I ordered my blue with the rhodium trim, though, and the 1.1 Stub. The green I got with the rose gold trim, and a broad nib. I really have been happy with the Leonardo broad nibs.

I can't wait to see the pair in person. Your photos make the Sorrento appear much more blue, and much brighter, than the pictures Leonardo had provided, where it almost looked grey with blue veins.

Still not sold on the violet though...

V

Im hoping some lovely retailers will take the new colours to the London show in a couple of weeks, hint hint ... yours look beautiful, David, but I feel I need to see them in real life.

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I have the same two on their way from Novelli now...should have them by Wednesday. I ordered my blue with the rhodium trim, though, and the 1.1 Stub. The green I got with the rose gold trim, and a broad nib. I really have been happy with the Leonardo broad nibs.

I can't wait to see the pair in person. Your photos make the Sorrento appear much more blue, and much brighter, than the pictures Leonardo had provided, where it almost looked grey with blue veins.

Still not sold on the violet though...

V

The Sorrento is mostly dark blue. There is a bit of gray and also a bit of magenta or some purplish color. No real black, as in the Impero.

All my Leonardos but one have 1.5 or 1.1 mm stub nibs. The exception is a 14Kt gold F nib on a MZ in OMAS Burl. It is a lovely, smooth writer.

David

More eye candy. I just discovered that the MZ 2020 materials are moderately translucent.

post-73460-0-73919000-1582512896_thumb.jpg

David

More eye candy. I just discovered that the MZ 2020 materials are moderately translucent.

attachicon.gif Iride translucence.jpg

Slick!

Hey, I still haven't had any time to set up for some good photos, but I had to take a real quick desktop pic of recent pens to send to a friend. Here is the Leonardo "Sarj Minhas" model pen, in between a big Bexley (Magnum variant, I think) and a Sheaffer OS Balance I just finished restoring. Both of the two new pens were purchased at the LA Pen Show a couple weeks ago. The Sarj has a patterned cap band, silver hardware and nib. The pen is a bit bigger than my Momento Zero, as is the nib (I'll make certain to show a comparison when I get time to shoot pics).

5wBombh.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Slick!

Hey, I still haven't had any time to set up for some good photos, but I had to take a real quick desktop pic of recent pens to send to a friend. Here is the Leonardo "Sarj Minhas" model pen, in between a big Bexley (Magnum variant, I think) and a Sheaffer OS Balance I just finished restoring. Both of the two new pens were purchased at the LA Pen Show a couple weeks ago. The Sarj has a patterned cap band, silver hardware and nib. The pen is a bit bigger than my Momento Zero, as is the nib (I'll make certain to show a comparison when I get time to shoot pics).

5wBombh.jpg

Cool! It looks like the pen's form is like that of the new "Messenger" pens. The material looks like a variety of "diamond cast" resin in your photo. Thanks for sharing.

David

I received my new Momento Zero 2020s earlier in the week. I'm very pleased!

I opted for the Sorrento Blue with rhodium trim and a stub nib, and the Iride Green with rose gold trim and a broad nib. Both colors are really spectacular. The Blue in particular has a lot going on, some sort of grey and denim shades with brighter blue veins. The Iride green is also really interesting- mine has some patches of mostly green with some patches of mostly blue and then some mixed areas. Not what I was expecting at all, but very nice. The rose gold trim works better with this color I think.

I photographed them with the Zero Grande in Caraibe blue for comparison...it seems to split the two fairly well. The material in the Momento Zero 2020s definitely looks chunkier- with more definition, while the Caraibe is a little more blurry/fuzzy in the marbling.

0QaeTg1.jpg

ixyGw5V.jpg

Nice, Vicary!!!

Gorgeous pens.....

Is it time for another Leonardo family portrait? it's quite a large one now....

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Nice, Vicary!!!

Gorgeous pens.....

Is it time for another Leonardo family portrait? it's quite a large one now....

Mark

Indeed! It's up to 21 pens now...might be time to capture the whole family together again!

V