Leonardo Photo Thread

Michael R.

Thank you.

Thank you for that explanation, Como, it makes the pen even more special. What a work of art - congratulations!

Essentially it's almost the same piston system as the old style Omas, not the ones with a plastic tube inside. The piston is directly touching the inner wall of barrel. The only difference is that: instead of having to knock out the metal pin of the old Omas piston knob to take it out from the back, the Tainan pen has a disc (made from the same material as the barrel, you can see it's between the black piston knob and the silver metal ring on the back end, about a few mm thick) that you screw out to disassemble the entire piston mechanism. I haven't done it myself but Tom had shown me in person when I picked up the pen. You need a pen plier and pad the disc with a thick rubber to do so.

Congratulations! It looks great. And this mention intrigues me a lot. Is this not a c/c filler but a piston filler? And it can be disassembled? Very much interesting. Can you please describe it a little bit more? :eureka:

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• JonSzanto

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you.

Essentially it's almost the same piston system as the old style Omas, not the ones with a plastic tube inside. The piston is directly touching the inner wall of barrel. The only difference is that: instead of having to knock out the metal pin of the old Omas piston knob to take it out from the back, the Tainan pen has a disc (made from the same material as the barrel, you can see it's between the black piston knob and the silver metal ring on the back end, about a few mm thick) that you screw out to disassemble the entire piston mechanism. I haven't done it myself but Tom had shown me in person when I picked up the pen. You need a pen plier and pad the disc with a thick rubber to do so.

Wow, thanks! That sounds great! It seems very convenient to take care of it. Perhaps a new approach to the filling mechanism for Leonardo. I believe they haven't made a pen with that method before.

Wow, I love this one! it's an incredible mix of Italian pen styles, there's a lot of Delta, some Tibaldi, and Tom Westerich's hand in it too!

Does Tom sell it?

Yes, sold though penboard.de only. here is the link to the available colors. http://www.penboard.de/shop/searchshop/?srchvalue=tainan&shop_seller=0

Tom Westerich

See whats newly listed on PENBOARD.DE

email: twesterich@penboard.de

Abruzzo/Italy and Hamburg/Germany

Hello Tom, nice to see you! are you in Italy now? How is it going with all this nasty rain?...

I'll take a look at the pen.

be well!

My Leonardo collection keeps growing. Up to 15 pieces. I hope to see some Momento Grande offerings in celluloid in the not too distant future. For now all these beautiful resins will have to suffice...

yt8tBOS.jpg

9X06mBc.jpg

Edited by Vicary

My Leonardo collection keeps growing. Up to 15 pieces. I hope to see some Momento Grande offerings in celluloid in the not too distant future. For now all these beautiful resins will have to suffice...

yt8tBOS.jpg

9X06mBc.jpg

This is a collection. :yikes: :)

yt8tBOS.jpg

9X06mBc.jpg

Very nice grouping. How do you like the way the Furore model feels in hand compared to the Momento Zero/Grande models?

Oh my! :yikes: Congratulations :thumbup:

yt8tBOS.jpg

9X06mBc.jpg

I'm not sure if you saw it, but they teased a Grande in acro bronze on Instagram.

I'm not sure if you saw it, but they teased a Grande in acro bronze on Instagram.

That sounds phenomenal! I'll need to keep my eyes open on that one....

Very nice grouping. How do you like the way the Furore model feels in hand compared to the Momento Zero/Grande models?

If I were blindfolded I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The pens are identical from the nib to the blind cap. It's only there that they change, with the Furore being a little longer and tapering more dramatically. When posted, there isn't any real change either, though the center of gravity on the Furore is ever so slightly further back. In fact, the caps, sections and barrels are interchangeable between the two.

Edited by Vicary

If I were blindfolded I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The pens are identical from the nib to the blind cap. It's only there that they change, with the Furore being a little longer and tapering more dramatically. When posted, there isn't any real change either, though the center of gravity on the Furore is ever so slightly further back. In fact, the caps, sections and barrels are interchangeable between the two.

The shape of the Furore isnt my ideal, but a couple of the resins are interesting. When I compared the size to the LMZ, they were fairly close in diameters, as you indicate, the LMZ and Grande being ideal for my hand . I have the LMZ in Corallo as you do. I dont know if you looked closely, but the resin has a subtle flame-stitch pattern within it, which is a pattern I enjoy. Ive had my Copper Grande inked with Diamine Ancient Copper for about six weeks now, with no nib creep/crud, and it flows beautifully through the stub. Thanks again for the lovely display. Edited by Herrjaeger

Beautiful pens, but too costly.

For the same price one can buy a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with 14ct gold nib.

FP Collection :-

Diplomat Aero, Pilot 845, Visconti Homo Sapiens, Pilot Silvern, Pelikan M1000, MB Solitaire Le Grand Blue Hour, Pelikan M805 Demonstrator, MB Solitaire Geometry, Lamy 2000, Lamy Lx Marron, 

EndlessPens has some nice deals on their stock of Leonardos right now. I just picked up to additional Furores in different resins for $99.50 each. They still have several colors available.

• 2 weeks later...

Much earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the steel nibs, in particular, of these Leonardo pens are wonderful. Anyone care to enlarge on that, please? Is there <any> flexibility in them, I wonder?

Reading through this entire thread, I am certainly impressed with the look of these pens! Why do some of them have two cap rings and others three? (Limited editions, perhaps, get more bling?)

Thanks in advance for any comment...

In my experience the nibs arent flexible, sadly, but they are wonderfully smooth without being boringly so and quite expressive. Some sellers do offer a flexy nib but I havent tried one.

The cap rings relates to the size of pen: the Momento Zero has two, the Momento Zero Grande three. The forthcoming Arlecchino, which is the Grande size, has a wide band sandwiched between two thinner ones, and it has zig-zag engraving on, if I recall correctly.

https://appelboom.com/image/cache/catalog/Leonardo/Momento%20Zero/Grande/leonardo-momento-zero-grande-arlecchino-gt-fountain-pen-1200x1200.jpg

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Much earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the steel nibs, in particular, of these Leonardo pens are wonderful. Anyone care to enlarge on that, please? Is there <any> flexibility in them, I wonder?

Reading through this entire thread, I am certainly impressed with the look of these pens! Why do some of them have two cap rings and others three? (Limited editions, perhaps, get more bling?)

Thanks in advance for any comment...

From my two steel nibs I would say that they are soft-ish but not flexible. It's enough to provide a nice cushioning effect when writing.

I'm not sure what the number of cap bands mean. Some Momento Zeros (normal size) have three bands (Hawaii, Maestro set, some ebonite models) while others have two (most standard models, Blue Abyss limited edition, Flame and bamboo editions).

Have a look at my Instagram :)