The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pre-Treatment Of Paper To Reduce Porosity

paper feathering fixative cheap paper

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gutbucketeer

Gutbucketeer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:42

So I have like four dot grid notebooks that were gifts because people knew I liked pens and use dot grid notebooks. The problem I'm having is that they bleed and feather when I use anything other than a fine or extra-fine nib, or a wet ink.   I would like to find someway to use them, until I can get a fountain pen friendly B5 notebook for my daily notes.  

There has been significant discussion on using art fixatives to preserve notes, addresses, drawings, etc. AFTER they have been created, but I can't find anything regarding reducing the porosity and absorbency of "cheap paper" to make it fountain pen friendly.  Does anyone have solutions or hacks for this, or is it simply buying quality (and expensive) papers.  

I am going to do a test with my wife's hair spray lightly sprayed on a sheet then quickly wiped down.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Jim Bunch

Edited by Gutbucketeer, 08 August 2019 - 02:16.

Sponsored Content

#2 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:53

I haven't used it, but I know a commonly suggested traditional solution is to "pounce" the paper with gum sandarac, e.g.:

https://www.johnneal...rd=gum sandarac

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#3 Lunoxmos

Lunoxmos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:58

Another method which can be used is to use a flat edged instrument of sorts, a bone folder was used but you can use a ruler if thats on hand, and you rub the surface of the paper with it, and what that does is it smooths over the paper fibres to make them more compact and less absorbent. Apparently this is what people in the 18th century did when they had unsatisfactory paper.

This was from a video in the writing series on the Townsends YouTube channel

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=5fks4Vnu8P0

Edited by Lunoxmos, 08 August 2019 - 08:59.

#4 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:03

I had a nice-looking notebook like that, feathering like you wouldn't believe but I wanted to use it. I used a moist microfiber cloth to wipe over each page (laborious!) and let it dry; afterwards, it was much better-behaved. I think the same principle applies: you make the fibers flatter and so there's less space between them where ink can be absorbed; hence, less feathering and bleeding through.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#5 Gutbucketeer

Gutbucketeer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 15:23

Thanks for the suggestions.  

The hairspray experiment did not work well. Plus it stank :-)

JAB

#6 bizhe

bizhe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 13:00

Ironing?

#7 Gutbucketeer

Gutbucketeer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:35

Hmm. Now I will have to find our Iron :lol:

#8 Dmact

Dmact

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:54

How did the hair spray not work well? Other than being FAR from archival of course? I use the trick regularly when practicing any "high inkflow" writing (read: flex or other calligraphic persuits). $1 can of aquanet and $2 pack of printer paper = a $3 pack of fp/dip friendly paper.

I have also used the art fixative BEFORE writing... Although much lower volume of spray vs the collosal drenching of hair spray.

I was perusing a book on calligraphy at the library the other day and it discussed corrections. The process was to redo ones calligraphy lines, spray with something( i forget what) and cover up the bad bits with white paint. I cant remember exact process or what the fixative was but the idea was to stop the white paint from both feathering (as it is rather dilute) and mixing with the ink turning it grey. I will try and find that again

#9 Gutbucketeer

Gutbucketeer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:01

I was scared to really drench the paper.  Will try again.

I bought some Sandarac Gum powder which I put in a pounce sac.  Then I rub it down with a parakeet cuttlefish bone. That seems to be working pretty well.

JAB

#10 Dmact

Dmact

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2019 - 13:02

I gave mine a good drench (3 heavy coats) until the paper changed color. Let it dry completely, then i used it for copperplate and got gorgeously crisp lines.

Both hairspray and art fixative need to be applied so that they create a solid film on the paper. You will basically be writing on that instead of the paper.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paper, feathering, fixative, cheap paper

Sponsored Content

|