Favorite Professional Inks (Black, Blue, And Red)

CPB

What are your favorite inks that are simple and straightforward colors? Nothing fun and crazy, just classic colors for everyday use. Specifically inks in black, blue, and red.

(I used the word professional to imply an office setting or somewhere that traditional classic colors are usually needed.)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arkanabar

• Flaxmoore

• MHBru

• SwipedFromTruman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Black: Aurora Black. Iroshizuku Take-Sumi

Blue Black: KWZ IG Blue # 3. Edelstein Tanzanite

Blue: Serenity Blue. Iroshizuku Asa-Gao

Red: Robert Oster Fire Engine Red

Other: Iroshizuku Yama-Guri. Jentle DoYou

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Of the thirteen inks in my growing collection, I am using the following the most...

-Montblanc JFK Blue Black

-Diamine Blue Black

-Diamine Dragon Blood

-Akkerman's SBRE Brown

Edited by pmitc34947

Black - Take-sumi

Blu-black - Stipula Dark Blue

Blue - Monteverde GC Sapphire

Red - don't really use red

Other - Yama-guri, Stipula Musk Green (my EDC)

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Black: J. Herbin Perle Noire and Iroshizuku Take-sumi

Blue Black: Diamine Blue Black and J. Herbin Bleu des Profondeurs

Blue: Monteverde Horizon Blue

Red: Diamine Red Dragon

Black/grey...dont really use them but do own Papier Plume Oyster Grey

Red - Iroshizuku Fuyu gaki (although I dont use it for correspondence

Blue(s) - Iroshizuku Kon Peki, Ama Iro, Asa Gao; Diamine Blue Pearl

Blue/Black(s) - Herbin Bleu Nuit and Kyo no to Aonobi

Other inks I use at work include

Teal - Iroshizuku Ku Jaku

Green(s) - Franklin Christoph Midnight Emerald and GvFC Viper Green

Black: Take your pick, either Noodler's Heart of Darkness or Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. My concerns are feathering, adequate flow, and saturation better than the cheap stick ballpoints in the supply closet. Given its reputation, I could see using J. Herbin Perle Noire.

Blue: I prefer Noodler's Blue. I just like it.

Blue-Black: I'm just using flush from various blues, greens, browns, and blacks (excluding Bad Black Moccasin). Or rather, I'm building up a reserve of such mixture. I could easily go for Pilot Blue-Black. I haven't really made up my mind. I rarely find myself wanting a blue-black.

Red: I'm going to use Noodler's Rattler Red Eel, because it's really bright for markup and I have a bottle on hand, instead of Noodler's Widow Maker, which is also on hand, and a darker, more subdued red. Should I ever find myself in need of another bottle of red, I'd most likely go for modern Sheaffer, in the "Slovenia" bottles.

My office setting has no limits on color so I tend to use whatever, whenever and hope to put a smile on someone's face down the line of bureaucracy.

But if I were limited to black, blue, and red they would be:

Black: Pelikan Black 4001, or Waterman Black.....I haven't used black in ten years, so really have no need for anything special, but these are as straightforward as you can get. The Pelikan is somewhat dry, and will work on a variety of paper. The waterman flows great, and has a bit of shading.

Blue: Diamine Oxford Blue, or KWZ Baltic Memories. Oxford is a straight solid somewhat medium blue, and Baltic Memories is a Dark teal with a bit of shading that flows well and give a little punch to what is written.

Red: Diamine Monaco Red, or Diamine Wild Strawberry: If you want a subdued murky red go with Monaco, if you need a bright, to the point red, Wild Strawberry.

I will add Green, Brown, and Grey to the list, because many businesses do, and all should have these as "professional " colors

Green: Diamine Umber, Diamine Woodland Green, KWZ IG Green Gold. Diamine Umber has an unique, yet understated tone to it that is absolutely professional, yet personal as well. Diamine Woodland Green is a classic forest green, great for notations, and edits, and general writing as well. KWZ IG Green Gold is a perfect murky green, it goes on grass green, than oxidizes to a murky green, pretty water proof if you let it oxidize for a week plus as well using a wet writing pen.

Brown: Diamine Macassar, Diamine Chocolate, KWZ IG Gold. Diamine Macassar and Chocolate are dark brown inks that are great for general writing, or quick notes, or signatures. Chocolate is a bit redder than Macassar. KWZ IG Gold is a medium brown ink that is also great for all of the previous mentioned writing and flow quite well.

Grey: Diamine Grey. Comparable to a HB pencil, a quality no fuss grey ink....

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Blue: Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, Pilot Blue Black, Montblanc Permanent Blue, Diamine Denim & Oxford Blue

Black: Aurora Black

Red: Noodlers Red, Montblanc Corn Poppy Red, Diamine Oxblood

Black: Aurora Black and Platinum Carbon Black

Blue: Sailor Souboku and Pilot Blue Black

Red: Diamine Oxblood

Edited by Trekker

Favourite 'professional' or plain-coloured inks
Black
  • Platinum Carbon Black (waterproof, but can feather and bleed on some papers)
  • Sailor kiwaguro (better-behaved, but not waterproof; exhibits some sheen)
Blue
  • Sailor seiboku (waterproof and well-behaved; exhibits some sheen)
  • Sailor souboku (waterproof and well-behaved; exhibits some sheen)
  • Sailor Shikiori yonaga (not waterproof; deep, dark, and does not sheen red/pink/magenta but green)
Red
  • Diamine Oxblood
  • Diamine Red Dragon
Green
  • Noodler's Green Marine (not waterproof but will remain legible after a long soak)
  • KWZ Ink Verdura

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

If we're going to expand the colors to include brown, green, and grey, then here goes:

Grey: Sorry, I regard grey as a betrayal of black, and don't use it.

Brown: Diamine Chocolate Brown. Yum! This is NOT a milk chocolate brown.

Green: Diamine Sherwood. Very legible, and tolerably good fade resistance.

Black/black family: Noodler's Heart of Darkness and Noodler's El Lawrence (which isn't black but is dark enough that my old bank -- who insisted that checks had to be written in blue or black -- didn't bat an eye).

Blue/Blue black family: Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Noodler's Kung Te Cheng (in spite of its bad behavior sometimes because, like El Lawrence, it could pass for blue as far as the bank was concerned B) and is pretty much EVERYTHING proof); and a recent discovery for me. Sailor Souboku.

Red: Noodler's Park Red (not quite my favorite, smack in the middle of the spectrum red -- which would be Diamine Classic Red -- but definitely more waterproof than the Diamine).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Black: Sailor Kiwa-Guro. Rich smooth black and totally waterproof. Used with medium nib.

Red: Pilot Red in Japanese F or EF pens. Used for annotations, so a very narrow nib is a must for me.

Blue ... I actually don't really use blue at work, but Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue would be my choice.

Black: Sailor Kiwa-Guro. Rich smooth black and totally waterproof.

I wish your statement, which was no doubt made in good faith, was factually true. Alas, Sailor kiwaguro is not totally waterproof:

fpn_1565493150__sailor_kiwaguro_is_not_w

Page scan after soaking in the sink and drying:

fpn_1565493352__sailor_kiwaguro_is_not_w

Writing done with it looks not nearly as black when viewed at an angle, especially when compared to Platinum Carbon Black and Pelikan Fount India inks:

fpn_1565494076__sailor_kiwaguro_is_not_t

Full set of waterproofness testing results here:

Nine Pigment Inks Tested For Waterproofness

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.