The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nibs Sold For Their Gold

84 replies to this topic

#81 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2019 - 20:23

Like anyone else I feel inclined to believe that my value system (whichever it might be) has a better ground, but in a matter like this, which inherently deals with what should a human do with any goods (gold nibs here), each will defend his/her own value system.

In situations of inherent value conflict, I personally take the view that the way for coexistence is to zealously confine each party's sphere of influence, 'making' or keeping him/her unable to intervene when peers in the community and/or equals in society do something that offends a spectator's, and both enforce and reinforce that lack of power of the individual to dictate to others, leaving him/her only to attempt persuasion and live with his/her personal successes and failures at that task, without declaring any party as being in the 'right' or morally superior. Even if that means everyone has to watch his/her idea of a better world (or better tomorrow) gets undermined, trampled or burnt to the ground by others who share that world and have equal entitlement to (try to) shape the future as they see fit.

We may discuss and try to convince each other, but afterwards each one has to make his own mind and decisions.

Indeed, and I wouldn't want it any other way as a member of the human race. Luckily, some people are content to just practise (as individuals) what they preach while watching others take 'opposite' actions that neutralise one's efforts, and feel they can look themselves in the mirror while the world moves and changes around them in ways that are not theirs to control or even steer.

Or, as someone here once infinitely more succinctly said to me, "You do you."
As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

Sponsored Content

#82 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2019 - 21:16

So now we are discussing the nibs value to humanity in a chaotic world, and how much order there may or may not be in the universe.  It seems to timely to note that in a world ruled by imperfect information, Frank Knight's distinction between risk and uncertainty are quite important.  Profit rewards being willing to bear uncertainty:  risk is insurable because it deals with known probability distributions, uncertainty is not insurable because its probability distribution is not known.  What are nibs worth? Will they be worth anything in the future? To how many people? Is the gold worth enough to overcome some possible value for a future person's value of the nibs...?   Which ones?

Much to ponder.

I think that our personal experiences in life influence and to a great degree determine what is important to us.   To me, due to my personal experiences in life, I can not really rank the fate, nor the  existence   of  those nibs   as a worthy topic  to ponder  deeply.   I do skim some of the posts here, but I do not really spend  time to carefully analyze them due to my bias against the importance of the topic in the global scheme of  what   we as humans should consider important.

This  is  not  passing  judgement  upon  other views,  I  have great respect for  the knowledge and wisdom shown in some posts here.  This is just my personal bias, and  I can not really pretend to deeply care about something that I do not care deeply about.

Edited by salmasry, 30 August 2019 - 21:17.

#83 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2019 - 23:55

You need to gather a heck of a lot of nibs to make it worth while. Gold is about $1500 per ounce in a purity of .9950. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

#84 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2019 - 19:25

I think that our personal experiences in life influence and to a great degree determine what is important to us.   To me, due to my personal experiences in life, I can not really rank the fate, nor the  existence   of  those nibs   as a worthy topic  to ponder  deeply.   I do skim some of the posts here, but I do not really spend  time to carefully analyze them due to my bias against the importance of the topic in the global scheme of  what   we as humans should consider important.

This  is  not  passing  judgement  upon  other views,  I  have great respect for  the knowledge and wisdom shown in some posts here.  This is just my personal bias, and  I can not really pretend to deeply care about something that I do not care deeply about.

Indeed: in the grand scheme of things nibs are probably unimportant to the majority of humanity at this point in time.  However, I can't help but think that many small, seemingly unimportant things can be important metaphors for metaphysical and deontological exploration.

And then there are the small canaries that warn miners of big problems...

Festina lente

#85 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2019 - 21:37

Indeed: in the grand scheme of things nibs are probably unimportant to the majority of humanity at this point in time.  However, I can't help but think that many small, seemingly unimportant things can be important metaphors for metaphysical and deontological exploration.

And then there are the small canaries that warn miners of big problems...

I agree, I think early in the discussion  Txomsy has shown some interesting metaphors. This is  one of the reasons  I follow this  interesting  dialogue here and try to learn  from it.

Long  ago, when I was a teenager,  I used to enjoy spending time pondering the meaning of just one word with Plato's Socrates, e.g.  Euthyphro to learn more about the philosopher's  mindset.

Later in life, my thought process got re-shaped with  engineering and computer science, which is more algorithmic and demand a plan of execution of specific actions. This  by implication requires succinct actionable items.  

The younger version of me would read a whole book to understand how to define 'piety' .   Sadly,  the  current version of me would not  even touch that book    :(  

This may be an example of  the wider chasm between how  philosophy  and  science  impact our daily life and our way of thinking.  

Edited by salmasry, 31 August 2019 - 21:41.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|