Paper With Properties Like Rhodia / Clairefontaine But Heavier And Thicker?

edel

I am trying to find a paper that serves most of my needs. My letter paper I presently use is Swedish Chairman linen paper 105g. A heavily textured thick sturdier paper. I love the look and feel of it but as it is extremely textured the feel to write is not what I want. Also some annoying problems with feathering.

In the search I came across Rhodia 90g and Clairefontaine Triomphe 90g. Both very smooth with a distinct feel to the touch I've not felt before. The are quite similar and "same" company and as I understand come from the same manufacturing line with minute differences in texture, the former being slightly smoother in my opinion. I have not a negative word to say about the writing qualities of either, they are bar none the best I've written on.

I realize few may share my feeling here but although I like their writing qualities, I don't like the "feel" when holding the paper. They feel cheap and "flimsy" compared to my dream paper. A paper that may not exist. With Chairman I like the feel when holding but the heavy texture is a dealbreaker, need not be perfectly smooth to the touch but writing should not fee like road blocks all over the place. I know most love Rhodia and Clairefontaine as they are but I would want something much thicker and heavier. Anyone know of a paper with similar writing qualities, need not be perfectly smooth, in the 105-120g range?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rafapa

• BaronWulfraed

• edel

• MHBru

Top Posters In This Topic

Will give it a try rafapa. Is it more like Clairefontaine Triomphe or their regular one if you tried either or normal glossy inkjet printer paper?

I look forward seeing what the "warm and very natural ivory shade" looks like.

Edited by edel

Will give it a try rafapa. Is it more like Clairefontaine Triomphe or their regular one if you tried either or normal glossy inkjet printer paper?

I look forward seeing what the "warm and very natural ivory shade" looks like.

The Dune is not smooth like the velouté found in Clairefontaine notebooks. I would say it has a matte finish. In my experience using the 80gsm it shows no bleedthrough with M nibs of moderate to wet flow with a variety of inks: Iroshizuku, Jacques Herbin Essentielles, Diamine, Edelstein. The only bad experience was with Octopus Fluid ink, wich bleeds in any paper I have in hand.

Comparison to inkjet paper? :yikes:

I am sorry but I do not understand your question. Clairefontaine Dune is advertized suitable for laser and inkjet applications. Do you have a precise inkjet paper in mind?

hmm.. looks like a great paper.... not sure if it's avail in the US tho... I haven't found it on Amazon yet

You might contact Crane Paper Company, Dalton, Massachusetts, U.S.A. to inquire about specific papers that they manufacture. The make at least one 100% cotton linen paper (that I recall). https://www.crane.com/

Good hunting.

P.S. Just checked their site. review what they offer under the "sale" tab. I saw some paper and envelopes listed as 110# stock. It looks expensive AND I know they have a superb reputation.

Edited by Gloucesterman

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I am sorry but I do not understand your question. Clairefontaine Dune is advertized suitable for laser and inkjet applications. Do you have a precise inkjet paper in mind?

Most inkjet papers have a coating that feathers drastically when hit with fountain pen ink. They can make the infamous Moleskine notebooks seem high quality paper.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised it hasn't come up yet but maybe you can take a look at the HP Premium Choice 32 (120gsm). Heavy sheet, doesn't feather, smooth as silk.