The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Omas Piston !

omas piston ogiva

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mns68

mns68

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2019 - 20:07

Hi all 

Today I received a NOS OMAS Ogiva 555-S but unfortunately the piston did not move at all ... it looks that it is very much stuck in its place 

Any suggestion or solutions please 

Thanks  

Sponsored Content

#2 mns68

mns68

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:53

seller says because pen is  60 year old it is expected to piston be stuck and he advised to put it in cold water especially the nib and feed for 1-2 days .... i havent heard about something like this ....is it a good suggestion ?

Edited by mns68, 09 August 2019 - 12:54.

#3 francoiacc

francoiacc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 13:01

This is  possible, try to remove the section: carefully heat the section under the threads and unscrew it, then put the barrel in cold water an leave it soaking until the piston start moving. It would try to start moving it after 24hrs. The other option is that you have one of the famous OMAS vegetable resin pen and that the barrel shrinked, in this case there isn't really much that you can do.

#4 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 19:14

This is  possible, try to remove the section: carefully heat the section under the threads and unscrew it, then put the barrel in cold water an leave it soaking until the piston start moving. It would try to start moving it after 24hrs. The other option is that you have one of the famous OMAS vegetable resin pen and that the barrel shrinked, in this case there isn't really much that you can do.

if the pen is 60 years old, as written, it cannot be a vegetable resin pen.

#5 mns68

mns68

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2019 - 16:26

unfortunately I couldn't separate the section ....is it OK to put the pen in cold water  without separating of section !?

#6 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2019 - 16:38

I can't see that it would do any harm.  I got an Omas working a couple of years ago for a work colleague by just soaking the nib unit - it took 4-5 days.

#7 mns68

mns68

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:02

what does the cold water do in this case ? is it causing the metal parts to shrink ?

#8 francoiacc

francoiacc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:53

The water will dissolve the dried ink that is most probably the reason why the piston is stuck. Of coarse if you don't remove the section or the nib and feed,the water will take more time to completely fill up the barrel and start dissolving the ink.
There is no issue in keeping the pen in the water for few weeks.

#9 mns68

mns68

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 00:35

The water will dissolve the dried ink that is most probably the reason why the piston is stuck. Of coarse if you don't remove the section or the nib and feed,the water will take more time to completely fill up the barrel and start dissolving the ink.
There is no issue in keeping the pen in the water for few weeks.

But the pen is NOS never used and never inked !!?

#10 francoiacc

francoiacc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:02

Well, in which case can also be just a matter of lubrification and water will still help.

#11 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:51

Assuming the pen is really 60 years old as the seller claimed it's probably not NOS. I agree that soaking is probably the best first step. If that doesn't work I wouldn't feel comfortable with trying to do other repairs myself and would ship it to a professional. Older pens can sometimes be brittle and I'd be afraid of cracking it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omas, piston, ogiva

Sponsored Content

|