Help Id This Parker (Mk 1 Victory Button Filler?) @ Repair Advice...

buddman

Afternoon everyone.

Following on from my introduction post ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/347860-new-member-new-hobby-based-in-london-hello/ ) I continue to wade through my assortment of pens, many of which are very interesting and unusual, but also many in need of repair and missing parts.

So I wanted to ask about this one as It has no markings on the barrel or cap, but clearly is a parker pen from the clip and nib. If this a Victory Mk1? I note the cap band is thicker than the ones I saw on parker pens.net

5sFgqeBl.jpg

G7GXBw8l.jpg

It's missing the blind cap and the filling button. If its a Victory its a worthwhile one to get restored, so a few questions:

(1) If I scrounge parts from other older Victory pens off eBay, are all the parts compatible? Id be just looking for the black blind cap and the button filler would be the brass one?

(ii) In my other collecting hobbies, I normally get all the parts together and then send off for repair what I can't do myself. Are there Parker repair people that also have inventory of parts that could help with something like this? I guess its somewhat aided by the fact that the missing cap is black.

Thanks for your advice.

David

Edited by buddman

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• buddman

• Ricky2011

• rbrummer

Hi - the cap band isn't an obvious indicator of a Victory - they're much thinner, usually. What is the nib imprint? - might help - also the complete lack of any barrel imprint would be unusual for Victory - unless of course the pen has seen massive wear.

Victory clips are distinctive - can't see a picture of the clip above. - all Victory clips appear to have the word Parker running vertically - early Models are ball-ended with later ones plain and simple - it's only the Mark V that carries the feather clip. Usually, it's the blind cap and clip that help to run down which model/mark, but I suspect this is a fairly early example. Presumably you're also missing the bar.

Victories were made with hatch patterning, though the book shows only rose silver, cream silver and green silver and burgundy, but having said that it's known that Newhaven made a greater variety of colours/Patterns than we might think.

Unfortunately, because of their popularity, ebay Victories with good parts are no longer cheap ……….. if you look at the archives on FPN you'll find images etc. to help determine which model this one is.

Am sure others will have more constructive advice - but it's certainly the beginnings of a good pen - whatever it is. :)

thanks - have a look at reply No. 26 in the link below - from Ricky - showing what he describes as Mk. 1 pens - look at the extreme right hand pen which has a hatched pattern very similar to the one posted here, and most important of all, it has the wider than usual cap band. Your nib appears to be o.k., but always need a little caution with clips since the sort you've shown is a tad generic and looks very similar to clips on some Duofolds - from which the Victory appears to have morphed.

Not saying it is guaranteed to be identical, but seems we may be on the right track. So, you are missing the normal brass coloured button plus pressure bar and a black blind cap. There are vairations on buttons - for example later models have the aluminium button and bushing.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/321385-parker-victory-barrel-insrcriptions/?view=findpost&p=3900650&hl=%2Bparker+%2Bvictory+%2Bnibs

Edited by PaulS

Hi Paul - yes that looks the same. Odd how this colour scheme is the only one with the wide band (appears the wider single bands are canadian) Curious that mine has no maker imprint.

So maybe I have a Televisor?

What do you think on repair? Hunt for parts or send off for repair?

Edited by buddman

yes @buddman, a fine example of a mki victory.. wide band indicates canadian production.

the barrel is reminicent of the televisors... i have tended to look for newhaven victiories.. with the brass button which yours is missing..

the nib is newhaven... N stands for newhaven..

enjoy your pen... centain parts are getting harder to find...

Rick

Member of the Writing Equipment Society.

Cheers Ricky. Any insight to finding the missing blind cap? :) or suggestions on how/where i get this back into working condition?

reasons why this one is not a Televisor are ............... clip imprint wrong (lacks the border outline) - and clip screw lacks flat top as per Victory - Televisor has a rounded clip screw, plus the Televisor should have the ink-view window between section and barrel which Victories never had.

It's likely that suitable buttons might be fairly common - it's only a standard button and doesn't have a hanging bar etc. - the bar and blind cap should also be fairly easy to source.

Depends really as to whether you want a quick repair or don't mind spending a few months poking around looking for donor pens etc. - remember that the London pen show lurks not that far away, and you might find what you need there.

Cost is a factor for some folk, and others enjoy the hunt for parts and a D.I.Y. repair.

Hi, I used to have the same pen in green hatch.
I had trouble identifying mine as a Victory as it also had no barrel markings!
The pen was near mint and had no wear to the barrel.
For one reason or another, the barrel had not been stamped.

The pictures show the blind cap and button that you seek, also, this pen had a hanging pressure bar.

fpn_1565118360__vic1.jpg

fpn_1565118396__vic2.jpg

fpn_1565118435__vic3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Paul.

have to ask the obvious question, then. As far as I can see, early 1940s Newhaven O.S. Duofolds and Mk. 1 Victories appear identical, externally - the former should have the model name on the nib, assuming it's original, and Victories don't - they show N for Newhaven.

If you don't have a barrel imprint then I'd be interested in knowing the source of attribution as to deciding whether Victory and not Duofold - since unfortunately, the book lacks information regarding Newhaven Victories with wider cap bands and hanging bars.

Could be wrong, but as far as I can see those same O.S. Newhaven Duofolds with the brass coloured buttons didn't have hanging bars, and I'd thought the same applied to early Victories, but now that seems not to be so.

I'm not doubting this state of affairs, it's just that the above comments appear to run contrary to the book, and my rather limited collection - though I appreciate books can and often are wrong on some points - but would be very keen to know how, in the absence of barrel imprint, we know which model we're looking at. Presumably someone has done their homework and has sourced information showing wide cap bands were Canadian manufacture only? :)

Edited by PaulS

My vote is he same - I have a bandless one in the exact same (grey) televisory plastic with a Newhaven nib and the Victory imprint.

But then I also have one in a more reddish version from which the imprint has been essentially completely rubbed away and appears to say "Duofold". It however has a Parker Canada nib vs. the Newhaven version. My point would be that they appear to have been putting this plastic to use on Victories and Televisors and quite possibly Duofolds too.

They are over on the left in this picture, sorry for the size.

fpn_1500821961__img_0412_3000x1772.jpg