What Filling Method Is This? Unknown Pen.

Gutbucketeer

I found this cool looking pen in a junk box at the DC Pen Show. It has a gold nib and definitely had a sac installed so its not a eye dropper. There is a "USA" on the clip, but that is the only marking. There is a 3 on the nib and appears to be some writing below the plastic. So its an unknown pen.

Did they make pens that had no filling mechanism other than the sac? It doesn't look like there is any room for an aeromatic cage or filling system. There is no hole for a match to push on a a j bar, or any other type of lever, or button. I'm stumped.

Also, for these types of pens with such a covered nib, is it typically friction fit? I don't see any other way to get the nib in and out unless it came from the back.

If anyone can identify the pen, it would be great too.

Jim Bunch

post-148924-0-76537300-1564972088_thumb.jpg

post-148924-0-96211900-1564972105_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gutbucketeer

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gutbucketeer

• PaulS

• Paul-in-SF

• parkergeo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi - the pen looks to have a breather tube, which is suggestive of an aerometric system i.e. a metal sac protector with, perhaps, a U shaped squeezer - though appreciate if that was the filling systems you're now minus the metal protector. The barrel appears substantial in girth - are you really sure there wouldn't have been space within for an aerometric system?

Not saying your pen was made with that filling method, but it's does look to be a possibility. If that rear feature is a breather tube, then nib removal might be a case of dry heat and wiggling free from the front end.

Sorry, no idea remotely as to the make of pen.

The usual method to remove the nib on a pen with a breather is to drift it out with a hollow punch.

Regards,

Eachan

Hi - the pen looks to have a breather tube, which is suggestive of an aerometric system i.e. a metal sac protector with, perhaps, a U shaped squeezer - though appreciate if that was the filling systems you're now minus the metal protector. The barrel appears substantial in girth - are you really sure there wouldn't have been space within for an aerometric system?

Not saying your pen was made with that filling method, but it's does look to be a possibility. If that rear feature is a breather tube, then nib removal might be a case of dry heat and wiggling free from the front end.

Sorry, no idea remotely as to the make of pen.

With respect, in my limited experience, if it had been made for an aerometric system, wouldn't the back of the feed have another stepdown level - one for the sac nipple, one for the sac protector to attach to, and then one to go into the barrel? This one appears in the photo to have only two.

I don't have any alternative idea as to the filling system, this is an intriguing mystery to me. I am curious if the large metal band on the top of the barrel functions as a clutch ring to hold the cap in place? This question has nothing to do with the filling system, just curiosity.

unsure as to why the op is discussing nib removal - assuming nothing untoward with the section/feed/nib then removal unwise - however, all this is academic since presently the pen can't be used for writing.

Working along the lines that this appears to have a breather tube, I was reminded of the suggestion, for Newhaven Duofolds, whereby nibs can be walked off the feed - from the front - assuming no need to remove the feed - but yes, of course, always possible to use a hollow drift to remove the entire contents of the section.

Also correct that aerometric systems should show a total of three steps - looking at the end of the lower step in above pix, I'm wondering if in fact the final nipple has broken away - the end appears jagged.

Looking at the evidence, all other potential filling methods seem impossible - of course, if we knew the make of pen we'd hopefully be home and dry.

Aye, there is the rub. Without a brand and model, I have no way of knowing what filling mechanism was used.

Did any makers just expect folks to squeeze the sac by hand and not have any mechanism. That is the only thing that I can think of without modifying the pen as it is. There is one wierd feature of the nipple in that it is saw toothed, almost like there was another piece that matched it. However, the old sac was defiinitely glued onto the nipple you see.

The gold band does act as a clutch to hold the metal cap in place.

I'm thinking about just installing a j-bar and drilling a hole in the side to make it a poor man's match stick filler. Would that be sacrilege?

JAB

Edited by Gutbucketeer

:D most definitely - who knows, one day you might discover how the pen was made to function, and in the meantime you will have functioned it up, irretrievably.

Replace the sac onto the nipple, and fill and re-fill with ink by simply unscrewing the barrel and using digits to squeeze sac etc. - simplicity has a lot going for it.

I got the Nib out. It says

Wing-Flow

USA

Not a real help since these may have been on several pens.

Wing-Flow was a pen by Chilton and also their name for a nib that was bent around and almost clamped itself to the feed. Other manufacturers also used that name for nibs, apparently including the odd Wearever and even cheaper pens.

If you don't see 14K anywhere on the nib it's probably gold plated steel.

None of which gets you any closer to knowing how to fill it. I assume you have checked the end of the barrel under magnification for a well-hidden blind cap for a button, or something? And checked inside the barrel with a light for any clues? For example, any threading in an unexpected place...

Ive seen an inexpensive pen from that era with a metal protector sleeve that fit tightly over the sac but had no connection to the section/connector. The end of the sac was left uncovered, so in conjunction with a breather tube it functioned as a squeeze bulb for filling.

Edited by parkergeo

Parkergeo: Thanks, that is probably what it is. I can construct something similar. Still confused about the saw toothed design which would have been inside the sac. One possibility is something that acted like an areomatic converter with matching saw tooths.