Smoothest Writing Ink In Your Experience?

YonathanZ

Hi,

So I've noticed a big difference in smoothness of writing when I switched from Noodler's Black to Diamine Asa Blue - I assume this has to do with wetness but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'd like to know what ink gives you the smoothest writing experience, the one that helps the nib glide over the page the most easily. I'm open to all colors!

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• silverlifter

• VivaTerlingua

• nibtip

Many are lovely. The smoothest is Sailor Doyou imho

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo is always a joy to write with and really glides across the paper.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Probably the most lubricated ink I have used is Birmingham Westinghouse Alternator Crimson, but it's a strange color, and I didn't buy a bottle.

De Atramentis Brilliant Violet with Copper is also very wet and lubricated, enough to make my dry Kaweco Sport fine seem like a wet pen. I wonder whether the manufacturer added extra surfactant to ensure that the ink would flow well despite the load of glitter.

Aurora Black; like heavyweight motor oil.

Agreed! I have some other standby lubricating inks, but Aurora Black is the best I've tried in that regard.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Sailor Kiwa-guro feels like nothing else. It feels so luxurious going on the page that I almost don’t care that it’s black.

Yet another Sarah.

Kiwa Guro was different but not particularly lubricating in my case. I've tested it along with a bunch of other black inks when I ordered a stack of samples while searching for my favorite black ink. Aurora Black was by far the most lubricating, taming a super fine needlepoint nib like nothing else. I keep reading about Aurora nibs having a high amount of feedback, and it's possible that Aurora inks were formulated to be extra lubricating to compensate.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

On which brand of paper?

What nib size, what grinding, by whom?

So many parameters.

Besides, smoothness, wetness, lack of feedback are different things.

Take-sumi. Very smooth, even with the cheap folded-nib PaperMate I'm using it in atm.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Easily Noodler's Old Manhattan Black. While unfortunately an exclusive ink to Fountain Pen Hospital in New York, it turns the driest pens into butter.

On which brand of paper?

What nib size, what grinding, by whom?

So many parameters.

Besides, smoothness, wetness, lack of feedback are different things.

+1 on this. I was wondering the same thing.

In my first Parker 45 (14K M nib), modern Quink black is super smooth. For the OP, in a different pen and on different paper, it's a case of YMMV....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Aurora Black. But I haven't ventured into the Japanese inks. If it wasn't black I'd always have a pen filled with it. Nothing as boring as black except dark blue.

Edited by sombrueil

Mobil One synthetic motor oil. It's as smooth as oil BUT it's not recommended for obvious reasons.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Many are lovely. The smoothest is Sailor Doyou imho

I remember my sample of Sailor Jentle Doyou being expectionally smooth, but that was way before trying KWZ, so I cannot make any kind of comparative statement. (I can, however, say that it's smoother than Diamine Asa Blue, which I did have at the time.) KWZ Honey, Maroon and Green-Gold are the ones I've tried so far (the first two I even bought full sizes of), and I'm just thoroughly impressed. The two most important factors for me are smoothness and lubrication, which KWZ has in excess, the only drawback being that they take a little bit longer to dry than your average ink (still shouldn't be a problem, for right-handed writers anyway).

I'm a big fan of the Herbin inks in terms of smoothness.

Interesting, I've actually found that J. Herbin lean towards the lower end of average on the smoothness spectrum, some more so than others.

Dominique

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)