Experience With Nakaya Elastic Music?

Wadude

@Uncial

No, you were actually quite clear, and very helpful. I am also not the biggest fan of feedback, so I asked Nakaya to set the ink flow to very strong. I want to see my beautiful BungBox Tears of a Clown ink to leave a cascade of sheen on the paper.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wadude

• Says

• Uncial

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@wadude

Just realised you are in Japan.

Can't you walk into the nearest store that carries Nakaya and ask to try all the different nibs?

I did a lot of that the last time I was in Japan. They would have most of the nibs, but not sure about elastic...

@Says

Thanks for the tip. I did go to a few of the major places, but it is as you said: they dont have elastic pens in stock. There is the Nakaya Pen Show in September, though. I will probably be able to try it in person.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have one on my table at the Washington DC Pen Show and it has gotten a lot of attention. Sorry for the poor pictyres and writing sample, but it is the best I can do with an iPhone in a hotel bathroom at 6am.

It writes beautifully, as all Nakayas do. It really doesn't flex all that much, but does have a good bit more bounce than the standard nib or the nibs they call "soft"

http://www.fototime.com/%7BEA09ACCE-59AB-4210-A924-1E84BDFCB605%7D/origpict/r1.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/%7B05FC3FA8-73A2-4013-B83D-D284F74D010F%7D/origpict/r2.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/%7B4E432560-1D02-4E30-B48C-DD0CE0E04475%7D/origpict/r3.jpg

Whichwatch:

While researching on this online, I seem to come across different opinions.

I am not experienced with Nakaya's Music Nib, but some say it is a stub, some say its is not, and can be requested to grind it to a stub.

From your writing sample, it seems like the lines are rather "rounded".

Since you have experience with the Elastic Music Nib, do you think it is a good idea to ask for a grind on a music nib? or is that totally unneccessary?

I have a broad stub grounded by Nakaya which I am enjoying a lot. So a 3 tine version of something similar would be very attractive to me.

Understand this is totally subjective, just like your opinion on it.

Whichwatch:

Since you have experience with the Elastic Music Nib, do you think it is a good idea to ask for a grind on a music nib? or is that totally unneccessary?

I apologize, but I am not sure I can give you a good opinion.

I was not the original owner of that pen. It came to me that way. I really don't make use of flex nibs and already had more than enough Nakayas, so I put it on my table at the show. It got a ton of attention and sold rather quickly.

I didn't write with that nib much and I don't remember having any other unground Nakaya music nibs, so my opinion would not have any real value.

Perhaps one option to consider is to buy one with a Music nib and use it for a while. Then you could always send it to a nib grinder for treatment if you felt that was desirable. Yes, it would mean two steps and a bit of shipping cost, but that is less expensive than getting an unusual ground nib and only THEN finding out you don't like it.

Thanks!

Its just what I can find online is not really very clear about it. Was wondering if you knew.

I think the best thing to do is to get my hands on a Platinum nib tester to try. They have a music nib to try.

Those are fairly easy to find in shops once I can travel again..

Says, my Elastic music Nakaya just arrived last week. As whichwatch, I dont have a non-Elastic music nib to compare, but I have to say Im absolutely enthralled with my new pen. It writes like a dream (perhaps due to customization). Its very wet and bouncy, yet maintains some decent line variation between horizontal and vertical strokes. Its also unbelievably smooth it just glides over the paper. Cant recommend it enough. Anyway, Ill write a full review once I have time.

Edited by Wadude

Says, my Elastic music Nakaya just arrived last week. As whichwatch, I dont have a non-Elastic music nib to compare, but I have to say Im absolutely enthralled with my new pen. It writes like a dream (perhaps due to customization). Its very wet and bouncy, yet maintains some decent line variation between horizontal and vertical strokes. Its also unbelievably smooth it just glides over the paper. Cant recommend it enough. Anyway, Ill write a full review once I have time.

REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO THAT!!

Please do send some writing samples!

I guess my questions is whether the Music nib puts down crisp lines or not.

I have already chosen the pen I want and everything. Right now, just figuring out what Nib to order.

Thanks Wadude.

I love the Elastic nibs :wub: , I currently have 3 of them (out of 7 Nakaya pens). I just order another last month, this one a soft Gold Broad nib.Really looking forward to it (likely around Christmas). I hope you love yours as much as I love mine!

Ive made a somewhat hasty writing sample. Hope it can be of help, despite the low quality of the photos (definitely not one of my skills).

I dont think the music nib can make crisp lines, since it doesnt have sharp edges like an italic nib. Its more like a stub, rounded. Let me know if I can be of help.

Cheers!

475D0EA4-61E5-4B64-B45F-515433684810.jpeg

B2D7E5EE-62BF-411E-90C6-6B28E09A11CD.jpeg

90388E96-2921-40CD-B126-5FAC4EDF0393.jpeg

If anyone is in the market for an elastic stub, bock is now offering a 250 nib unit (#6) with a semi-flex 14k three tine music BBB stub for about $150. Mine needed tuning to not hard start when writing quickly, but it will flex to 3mm without issue.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

If anyone is in the market for an elastic stub, bock is now offering a 250 nib unit (#6) with a semi-flex 14k three tine music BBB stub for about $150. Mine needed tuning to not hard start when writing quickly, but it will flex to 3mm without issue.

Hmm. How wide is the line "at rest"?

How elastic compared to Bock steel?

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

do you have a review of this somewhere on FPN?

Hmm. How wide is the line "at rest"?

How elastic compared to Bock steel?

Compared to a bock steel?

Not even comparable.

At rest, it's a 1.1-1.3ish line. Standard music nib size.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Compared to a bock steel?

Not even comparable.

At rest, it's a 1.1-1.3ish line. Standard music nib size.

I'll put it on the list.

Add lightness and simplicate.