The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Troublemaker Kelp Tea Sneak Peek

troublemaker kelp tea shading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:50

Hi guys, after about 6 weeks from ordering I finally received my 4 new inks from Troublemaker in the Philippines. I first tried Kelp Tea and I'm very happy with it, have a look!

Paper: Fabriano Ecoqua 85 gsm

Pen: Leonardt 3mm and 2mm nibs, Jinhao 699 unmarked nib (my guess is M)

In the sun:

Kelp tea sun.jpg

Under led light

Kelp tea led.jpg

Closeup under led light

Kelp tea closeup.jpg

I like it a lot. The ink goes down a lot more green and then it dries more brown/beige. The shading is amazing, it seems the green component gathers at the edge and the beige component pools in the center. I've seen this behaviour on some Sailor Studio inks and I totally love it.

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:01

Their shading inks are very nice. The Petrichor is like a somewhat darker Sailor Studio 123. It has that odd pinky hue but not as impressive as the the Sailor. Different nib widths give quite a different result. Abalone is also nice for those who love grey blues with lots of shading. Again, there's a pinky tone that shows up from time to time. The saturation is low so some will love that while others will hate it. The Kelp is lovely and in a medium wet nib it can look quite stunning.

#3 Scriptorium Pens

Scriptorium Pens

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 23:48

Oooo, this looks lovely. Mine is on the way, and I eagerly await it!

Renée

Visit my site at

fpn_1381279657__scriptoriumpens-label4.p

Handcrafted Fountain & Dip Pens

For Behind the Scenes pictures and comments, check out Instagram & Twitter.

#4 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,483 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:15

Thank you for the preview!  Makes me very excited for mine -- should arrive tomorrow.

Edited by Intensity, 05 August 2019 - 04:17.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#5 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,483 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2019 - 17:27

My bottles have arrived!

Here are some quick writing samples on different paper.  I figured this kind of ink is best showcased with a broad nib, to properly see the separation into constituent colors.  In summary, the saturation is low, it's a muted murky olive-brown with color variation within a line (the darker parts dry more brown, the lighter parts more green), and there is cool green outline/halo effect.

In person, the color is a bit more saturated than on the scans, and the color shift is more obvious.

Uncoated paper:

3Hy4zlj.jpg

Rhodia #16 dot grid pad:

pb7Ks5k.jpg

Coated and super smooth paper (Nakabayashi Logical Prime, Japanese notebook)

2iGbdTy.jpg

Tomoe River 52g white:

rvb3sH7.jpg

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#6 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:15

Nice colour!

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: troublemaker, kelp tea, shading

Sponsored Content

|