The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Asa Nauka/maya Nib Question

indian pen asa

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boulderchips

boulderchips

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:36

I'm still finding pens for long writing sessions, and I've discovered that I like large grip sections. Not being in the income bracket for a KOP, I'm looking into something like the Nauka or Maya.

My understanding is that the standard pen (with the stock ASA nib) comes with a friction-fit feed. If ordered with a Jowo housing, it's a screw-in.

If I plan to eyedropper the pen either way, is there any real advantage to getting the Jowo housing? It's around 28 USD more, which is more than the cost of a nib. If I buy the stock pen, couldn't I swap out the nib anyway if I didn't like ASA's?

If anyone has a preference between these pens (or other similar pens! Gama?) I'm all ears. I understand the owner of ASA is recovering from surgery as well — I hope he's back on his feet soon.

Sponsored Content

#2 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:14

I love my two Naukas. Superbly elegant, but also really comfortable to use. They are nice light pens, too, so for a longer writing session they won't tire your hands.

I haven't tried swapping the nibs, so I can't answer your question on that topic.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#3 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Duit On Mon Dei

• Member - Gold

• 2,047 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:36

It's around 28 USD more, which is more than the cost of a nib.

There's the cost of the nib, as well as the associated cost/time/effort of threading the barrel to accept the screw-in Jowo housing.

Screw-in housing makes changing nibs very easy, and eliminates wear on the section and feed arising from pulling/replacing the friction fit nib/feed.

Edited by Karmachanic, 03 August 2019 - 09:37.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#4 boulderchips

boulderchips

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2019 - 18:44

I love my two Naukas. Superbly elegant, but also really comfortable to use. They are nice light pens, too, so for a longer writing session they won't tire your hands.

I haven't tried swapping the nibs, so I can't answer your question on that topic.

That's what I'm hoping! They look beautiful, too. That's good to hear.

There's the cost of the nib, as well as the associated cost/time/effort of threading the barrel to accept the screw-in Jowo housing.

Screw-in housing makes changing nibs very easy, and eliminates wear on the section and feed arising from pulling/replacing the friction fit nib/feed.

I understand the cost on the manufacturing side, I just didn't know if there was a benefit for the user. But that does make sense. I'll probably put in a jowo nib either way, so I guess I may as well spring for the housing.

#5 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2019 - 20:23

Gama Eyas is worth a try.

Quite a large section, very light and comfortable pen.

The original nib is not bad.

It's an affordable yet full size pen that is worth considering also for some experimenting with nibs.

I have two, I put an Omas spare nib in one, fits perfectly.

fpn_1551737774__img_1813-3_gama_eyas_wit

#6 boulderchips

boulderchips

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2019 - 14:27

I looked at the Eyas, but it's out of stock on ASA's site and everywhere else that I can find. Looks like a nice pen, though, especially with that Omas nib.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: indian pen, asa

Sponsored Content

|