The Arco Photo Thread

fpupulin

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. These are the real spina di pesce!

Yes, absolutely magnificent!!

I didn't realize they made them in Arco Verde, too.

BTW, compare these gorgeous Arco specimens with the ones now being marketed (at an astronomical price) by "he who holds the remaining rods." (Photo below) The difference is like night and day. Shameful!!!!!

IMG_4666_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1587589863

Edited by Seney724

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• Seney724

• francoiacc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I totally agree. It's too bad that no one is making it any more. OMAS has gone out of business only a few years ago. I am sure that there are people who know how to make more arco celluloid in Italy. Maybe we all should start a Kickstarter campaign!

Those fishbone arco is just so stunning that it makes "regular" arco rather dull looking. :D I am one of the idiots who just placed an order. It's so expensive that tears are coming out of my eyes! :bawl: I will post some pictures when I get it.

BTW, compare these gorgeous Arco specimens with the ones now being marketed (at an astronomical price) by "he who holds the remaining rods." (Photo below) The difference is like night and day. Shameful!!!!!

Edited by mad_pharmacist

I totally agree. It's too bad that no one is making it any more. OMAS has gone out of business only a few years ago. I am sure that there are people who know how to make more arco celluloid in Italy. Maybe we all should start a Kickstarter campaign!

Those fishbone arco is just so stunning that it makes "regular" arco rather dull looking. :D I am one of the idiots who just placed an order. It's so expensive that tears are coming out of my eyes! :bawl: I will post some pictures when I get it.

I certainly did not mean to imply that anybody who ordered one of these spina di pesce pens was an idiot and I apologize if you took it that way. You have surely worked hard for your money and you should spend it however you wish.

My only point was when one compared the original and genuine spina di pesce pens produced by Omas (pictured above in post #79 by katanankes) and compare it with the spina di pesce pens which are pictured in the current advertisement being circulated by the Company which is selling them (seen above in post #81) it is easy to detect a huge difference in the quality and the character of the fishbone pattern.

I think that several of the pens the Company itself chose to use as their "model" spina di pesce pens look more like standard Arcos than like the spina variant. But, maybe that's just me...........

We will all enjoy seeing your photos once you receive the pen; in the end, all that matters is that you are pleased with your purchase!

No I was just joking. Don't take it too seriously. :) I totally agree with you on the patterns.

I certainly did not mean to imply that anybody who ordered one of these spina di pesce pens was an idiot and I apologize if you took it that way. You have surely worked hard for your money and you should spend it however you wish.

My only point was when one compared the original and genuine spina di pesce pens produced by Omas (pictured above in post #79 by katanankes) and compare it with the spina di pesce pens which are pictured in the current advertisement being circulated by the Company which is selling them (seen above in post #81) it is easy to detect a huge difference in the quality and the character of the fishbone pattern.

I think that several of the pens the Company itself chose to use as their "model" spina di pesce pens look more like standard Arcos than like the spina variant. But, maybe that's just me...........

We will all enjoy seeing your photos once you receive the pen; in the end, all that matters is that you are pleased with your purchase!

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_4666_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1587589863

These look like mutated spina di pesce. the pen "family" is totally wasting away the OMAS legacy, but when you have people buying these "limited" arco pens at whatever price they post, theyll keep doing it. Just wait for the stock market to crash and these pens will be easily half the price.

I finally found some time to take picutres of my pen. This one came in a very impressive box which doubles as a pen case. It looks really nice and I am sured I paid for that. It would have been nicer if they had shipped the pen in a simpler packaging like Scribo. I also received a book "Animal Design on Pens" by Regina Martini. I think I bought my Pelkan M800 from her about 20 years ago.

Many valid points have been raised. Yes, the best arco pens by OMAS is far more impressive than ASC arco pens. But I have seen many mediocre arco pens by OMAS. ASC classifying some of their arco pens as having "fish bone" patterns is a bit of stretchy to say the least. I doubt if they can or will make truly "fish bone" patterns.

It's hard to justify this kind of prices as it undoubtedly involves more marketing hype than true value whatever that may be. OMAS was sitting on its own stockpile of arco celluloid and they didn't flood the market with arco pens. The price of arco pens did not fall while OMAS was in business. If OMAS is still in business, I doubt that their arco pens would be less expensive than what ASC is charging give their "heritage." ASC will tightly control what is available in order to maintain the price. Love it or hate it, but it's a good business strategy. For a long time, I wanted to add an arco pen into my collection. When I was young, I didn't have enough money. Now that I have a bit of money, OMAS is out of business. I wish I own a pen made by OMAS using true fish bone arco, but I have been priced out of that. What do I think of my pen? I really like it, but I don't think I will buy another arco pen. :D

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

Love it or hate it, but it's a good business strategy.

:yikes:

ASC & "good business strategy" defines the term OXYMORON!

PS: The Arco celluloid of your pen is gorgeous. Congratulations on getting a really nice example of the inimitable Arco Bronze celluloid!

Edited by Seney724

They continue to make money off of OMAS with very little effort so I say yes. There is a great sense of irony or perhaps poignancy in my experience. ASC stated that my pen would be supplied with a "complementary" brown leather pen case. Indeed, I found such pen case inside the box. The back of the said pen case was emobssed with "OMAS Genunie Leather Made in Italy."

They continue to make money off of OMAS with very little effort so I say yes. There is a great sense of irony or perhaps poignancy in my experience. ASC stated that my pen would be supplied with a "complementary" brown leather pen case. Indeed, I found such pen case inside the box. The back of the said pen case was emobssed with "OMAS Genunie Leather Made in Italy."

As long as you have brought up ASC's business strategy, we really ought to make reference to what is probably one of their core business principles:

"Do all we can to confuse and/or deceive people so they believe they are about to purchase (or now own) an Omas pen!"

Yes. That is absolutely their strategy. It is working for them so I don't see why they would stop it.

Yes. That is absolutely their strategy. It is working for them so I don't see why they would stop it.

:lticaptd:

I finally found some time to take picutres of my pen. [...]

For what it is worth, I find your pen on par, as to the Arco pattern and general finish, with many of the pens produced by Omas, and better than several samples I saw. A truly beautiful pen you own.

I also like the Gladiatore mezzo, which has a more usable size than the original Gladiatore, in my opinion. Congratulations!

I do not want to enter into the discussion about ASC merits and faults, and I do not own any of their pens, so please take my observation just for what it is, a simple note. Your complimentary brown leather case embossed with OMAS genuine leather made in Italy is very likely a true OMAS product (probably part of the new old stock that was acquired when OMAS got out of business), not an a attempt by ASC to deceive their clients using the OMAS name. I have most probably the same pouch in brown leather, and mine came from OMAS.

Edited by fpupulin

I do not want to enter into the discussion about ASC merits and faults, and I do not own any of their pens, so please take my observation just for what it is, a simple note. Your complimentary brown leather case embossed with OMAS genuine leather made in Italy is very likely a true OMAS product (probably part of the new old stock that was acquired when OMAS got out of business), not an a attempt by ASC to deceive their clients using the OMAS name. I have most probably the same pouch in brown leather, and mine came from OMAS.

You are right fpupulin, there are other places where this can be done. This thread should be used just for the sharing the beauty of the Arco celluloid.

I should add that I do not think anybody intended to suggest ASC was including "fake" Omas pen pouches. For sure they are genuine. The ASC owner surely acquired them at the same time he acquired the Omas rods. The point is they are Omas pouches, not ASC pouches. Yet, the pen is an ASC pen, not an Omas pen. It just seems a little cheesy to me.

Thank you for this thread. It is excellent. Now that this point about the pouches is clarified (I hope), I will not make any more mention, in this thread, about my opinion of ASC's business practices or poor quality control.

mad_pharmacist: Thank you for sharing photos of your new ASC Arco. It's a beautiful pen. I find the enamel filling of the Greek key band a nice detail. The size, facets, and proportion all seem quite similar to Omas, except for the metal ring on the cap lip. The pattern on your pen is very nice. The variety of different Arco patterns is part of what makes the Arco material so mesmerising: they are ever changing, and no two are the same! Do you like the nib, and what filling system does it have, if I may ask? Now that you finally completed your wish of having a pen from Omas Arco, enjoy it in good health and good time.

I finally found some time to take picutres of my pen. This one came in a very impressive box which doubles as a pen case. It looks really nice and I am sured I paid for that. It would have been nicer if they had shipped the pen in a simpler packaging like Scribo. I also received a book "Animal Design on Pens" by Regina Martini. I think I bought my Pelkan M800 from her about 20 years ago.

Many valid points have been raised. Yes, the best arco pens by OMAS is far more impressive than ASC arco pens. But I have seen many mediocre arco pens by OMAS. ASC classifying some of their arco pens as having "fish bone" patterns is a bit of stretchy to say the least. I doubt if they can or will make truly "fish bone" patterns.

It's hard to justify this kind of prices as it undoubtedly involves more marketing hype than true value whatever that may be. OMAS was sitting on its own stockpile of arco celluloid and they didn't flood the market with arco pens. The price of arco pens did not fall while OMAS was in business. If OMAS is still in business, I doubt that their arco pens would be less expensive than what ASC is charging give their "heritage." ASC will tightly control what is available in order to maintain the price. Love it or hate it, but it's a good business strategy. For a long time, I wanted to add an arco pen into my collection. When I was young, I didn't have enough money. Now that I have a bit of money, OMAS is out of business. I wish I own a pen made by OMAS using true fish bone arco, but I have been priced out of that. What do I think of my pen? I really like it, but I don't think I will buy another arco pen. :D

Hello everyone,

tomorrow I collect my first Omas Arco Bronze fountain pen circa mid to late 90s. I’ve been doing some reading and have seen that highly alkaline inks and celluloid don’t mix. I’ll make sure to post photos tomorrow

my question to the Arcophiles here is what inks do you use in your pens? A lovely brown seems like the logical choice, but I would appreciate feedback and options that I might not have considered.

I am not too picky about inks. Currently I have mine inked by Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi (brown) ink. You can check this web site which has pH information on some inks. https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Inks-Report-on-the-pH-of-More-than-60-Inks.html Most of OMAS inks were on acidic side.

Celluoid is acid labile if I am not mistaken. As it ages, it releases nitrogen oxide which reacts with water to form acid. That damages celluloid. I think that slightly basic ink would be in fact better than slightly acidic ink in terms of preservation, but I am not a chemist. Only a "dispensing chemist." :blush: The owner of KWZ Ink has an advanced degree in chemistry, so he might be able to give you a definitive answer.

Edited by mad_pharmacist

Does anyone know why spina di pesce cut was possible on arco brown and not arco verde?

As far as I know, there is no reason why you couldn't get the Spina pattern on arco verde.

I think it is more a matter that Omas made far less of the arco verde so fewer rods were ever cut that way (not that I have seen anything indicating that the spina pattern was ever intentional and not just a byproduct of their cutting).

• 2 weeks later...

A comparison between Omas Grey Arco and Montblanc Grey Tiger Eye (Omas ring-top vs. MB 242, both are small lady size).

fpn_1590685586__img_6968.jpg

fpn_1590685616__img_6969.jpg

fpn_1590685630__img_6974.jpg

Hello everyone,

tomorrow I collect my first Omas Arco Bronze fountain pen circa mid to late 90s. I’ve been doing some reading and have seen that highly alkaline inks and celluloid don’t mix. I’ll make sure to post photos tomorrow

my question to the Arcophiles here is what inks do you use in your pens? A lovely brown seems like the logical choice, but I would appreciate feedback and options that I might not have considered.

Out of my excessive arsenal of brown inks, the two I always prefer for my bronze Arcos are Akkerman SBRE Brown and Diamine Terracotta. Both have that exact nuance that seem made of the same material of the pen, but liquid... Terracotta is brighter, for the days when one feels that life deserves a celebration. Akkerman's is a bit soberest, and almost perfect.

Please, let we know for which ink you eventually decided, maybe with a shot of your incoming pen...

Edited by fpupulin