Cross Townsend: Old Vs New?

Thy

Cross Townsend: US or China?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite maker of the Cross Townsend, and why?

• US- (1998-2004)
    • China (2004-present)

What is your favorite Townsend? I only have the full gold US Townsend, and I can't really tell which one is better.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WriteAway

• adamselene

• jchch1950

• Thy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I prefer the USA made pens since I grew up with them and they seem to me to be more substantial (my opinion) than more recent models. But the current pens are fine and I use several of the BP models without issue.

WriteAway

• 4 weeks later...

The lapislasulli finish.

I bought a jade roller when they had the outlet sale. Those days are gone.

Anyone remember how much they sold the Lapis F P wheb they blew them out the outlet?

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

I have a USA made Townsend Medalist fountain pen, and a more recently purchased made in China Townsend Chrome fountain pen. Both are of equal great quality and performance. There is that cachet of having "Made in USA" on it which is the only difference really and would be the only reason to go to a USA made Cross pen. Just for the record, I have some 1970s Cross Century BPs, and they were much heavier and more solid than the later USA made Cross pens. So if it's the solid heavier pens you are after, you have to go back to the more vintage models, and has nothing to do with where they are made.

• 2 weeks later...

My USA made black Cross Townsend has been at my desk for 20 years straight. It gets used and then tossed back into a common pen holder with other pens. It has been dropped, and handled by others. Yet after all that hard use, it still looks great! Almost as good as I got it. No significant scratches. The cap is still tight. The nib starts up every time (unless it is out of ink) and is amazingly smooth. There is a small dent where it hit a desk after being thrown. That would have destroyed other pens. Even the gold plating looks almost new. As I inspect it closely, it seems like the surface of the clip is a bit faded, but not missing at all. I have used Montblanc Royal Blue ink most of that time, but right now it has Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. Occasionally, i replace the cartridge converter, and wipe it down. That is all. It has never been sent back for service. No other pen of any other maker in my 60 years of writing has even begun to hold a candle to that longevity.

As a result of that solid quality, i have bought over 40 USA Townsends in rollerball, fountain and ball point, including several Lapis. (I agree that the Lapis FP is really exceptional, the best Cross pen ever.) They have made great gifts, and there will be at least one USA made Cross Townsend in my safe for each of my 21 grandchildren as a gift from their grandpa.

So, you can see my vote.

post-50490-0-06235600-1569374839_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raymond3

I have a custom U.S. Cross Townsend (special finish, 18K gold trim/nib, engraving) that was a presentation pen of an important U.S. official many years ago. It's too valuable to carry with me (more's the pity, because I would use it daily if I felt comfortable taking the risk of losing it), so it sits on my desk at home and is my first line home-use pen. I have a Cross Bailey that is Chinese made, and while I like it, it doesn't hold a candle to my Townsend. The quality just doesn't measure up.