The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kwz "olive" Mixes

kwz kwzi olive green mix green gold honey

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 20:09

I am really enjoying using KWZ inks (other than the vanilla scent), and I've been looking into finding my perfect olive green ink.  One of my requirements is good water resistance -- it does not need to be 100%, but the writing has to withstand being touched with damp hands or a small spill and still remain easily legible.  I hoped KWZ I.G. Green Gold was going to be it, but when my bottle arrived, I've found that it's really more like a somewhat olive-leaning dark green.  Not a green-gold as one might imagine (or olive).  In a moment of inspiration, I decided to see what will happen if I mix I.G. Green Gold with KWZ Honey.  Honey is a translucent and "layerable" honey-caramel color that can shade to off black if piled on.  I.G. Green Gold is a very saturated low transparency ink.  Both have silver sheen outline, but I.G. Green Gold just barely a hint of it, whereas Honey sheens silver around the letters very easily on good paper.

Here are my results.  No precipitate or odd behavior found so far.  I very much like the first mixture and will be using it from now on in an empty Iroshizuku bottle.

KWZ "Olive #1" :  KWZ I.G. Green Gold 3/4  :  KWZ Honey 1/4

EMxxEq5.jpg

KWZ "Olive #2" :  KWZ I.G. Green Gold 2/3  :  KWZ Honey 1/3

woHT6Qk.jpg

Both together:

yZGrGnj.jpg

h08DnR9.jpg

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Sponsored Content

#2 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 20:26

Even I mix IGs with much trepidation. Delighted youve found a happy mix. Its s great feeling. 🤗

#3 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,768 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 20:33

It's true!  But KWZ inks with I.G. content are already mostly dye with a small amount of iron gall, and it's easy enough to mix in the little plastic vials and use cheap pens to test.  No risk of a thermite reaction :D  In this case no precipitate or adverse effects so far.  

Edited by Intensity, 29 July 2019 - 20:34.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#4 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 20:37

Just look at Sou Boku  :wub: . . .  quietly holding it's own on that page of lovliness. 

#5 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:14

Missed this one. Love that first mix!
I have the green-gold myself, but not the honey (guess I have to do some experimentation myself with a honey substitute:-)

#6 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 15:10

Nice I especially like the 3 to 1 mix
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#7 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,768 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 16:32

As an update, I had mixture #1 sitting in a pen for 3 weeks with periodic writing and just changed to a different color. The mix flushed out very quickly, with low effort. As always with mixing, I recommend starting with small plastic vials or bottles to test the mix stability and hue.

#8 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 18:56

Well done and thanks for the recipe. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kwz, kwzi, olive green, mix, green gold, honey

Sponsored Content

|